PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Dammed space marine army 1750

Choron
04-04-2010, 05:43 AM
i made a legion of the dammed space marine army list over the weekend, trying to keep it themed/playable, seeing as i want to take it to cancon next year(major tourny in canberra for those that don't know). and so here's the list:
HQ
Ghost captain Domdiaden:175
relic blade, artificer armour, auxilary grenade launcher, digi weapons.

Comand sqd Dormis: 225
company champ, company stan, storm shield, thunder hammer, drop pod.

TROOPS
Tac sqd Imortalis: 220
+ 5 men, missile luancher, flamer, drop pod w locator beacon.

Tac sqd Dormantes: 215
+5 men, las cannon, flamer, drop pod.

ELITE
Legion of the dammed sqd: 355
+ 5 men, power sword, flamer, missile luancher.

Legion of the dammed sqd: 370
+ 5 men, power axe, melta gun, heavy flamer.

Assualt terminator sqd "Thunder storm": 200
3x thunder hammer and storm sheild

total: 1750

i would like to know any major weaknesses blaring out of this list if any!
comp soring, CC and advice welcome!
Choron

gcsmith
04-04-2010, 06:15 AM
tac squad lascannon to missle?

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I would love for them to make a full model line for these guys. The new minis are so cool looking! I've seen an older codex on the net, but I guess theres only so many zombie marines cruisin around, so making a full army of them doesn't really make sense. now If their warp sickness spread like regular zombie sickness, then we may have a cool army...

But one can hope, right?

codiddy
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd shave the regular flamer from your LOTD squad and make it a combi-for the sergeant, or replace the las in your tac squad with a missile launcher

therealjohnny5
04-04-2010, 10:41 AM
i might keep the las and drop the two MB's. the command squad has a TH in it and the ML\Flamer tac squad seems more anti-horde equipped. plus the termies can assault any high AV's after the las takes a shot. but then i love las, and you've always got krak grenades for rear armor assaults.

as an aside maybe try playtesting a smaller hvy weapon LotD squad. i run mine this way with a libby and gate them around shooting vehicles. i've yet to lose one...

eagleboy7259
04-04-2010, 11:22 AM
In keeping with the theme might it be better to switch over to Vulkan as he's all about flames and such nonsense? You could easily do a nice proxy for him.

As for the rest of the list, I thought that command squads and LOTD squads generally weren't worth it points/effect wise. The models are absolutely amazing but might it just be better to theme it LOTD and run basically a sallie list?

Tynskel
04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I would switch the flamer to a Plasma Rifle in the LotD squad.

I like to run Legion too- I have found that the Plasma Rifle, Missile Launcher and Power Weapon allows the unit to put out 'damning' firepower and charge!

Choron
04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I'd shave the regular flamer from your LOTD squad and make it a combi-for the sergeant, or replace the las in your tac squad with a missile launcher

@cociddy, might do what you said with reg flamer to combi flamer although my las cannon took out a land raider in one game so i tend to think of it as my lucky charm! :p

i might keep the las and drop the two MB's. the command squad has a TH in it and the ML\Flamer tac squad seems more anti-horde equipped. plus the termies can assault any high AV's after the las takes a shot. but then i love las, and you've always got krak grenades for rear armor assaults.

as an aside maybe try playtesting a smaller hvy weapon LotD squad. i run mine this way with a libby and gate them around shooting vehicles. i've yet to lose one...

@therealjohnny5, i might try your libby with legion sqd, what size sqd you run them in?

I would switch the flamer to a Plasma Rifle in the LotD squad.

I like to run Legion too- I have found that the Plasma Rifle, Missile Launcher and Power Weapon allows the unit to put out 'damning' firepower and charge!
i like the sound of plasma and i've been pretty lucky with it in the past but i just don't fancy losing a legionare to an unlucky roll :(
listed edited, btw, how would this army go comp scoring wise? and any other things needing to be changed?
Choron

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm just Curious, where are you getting rules for these guys? Also the HQ appears to be a special character, right? Is this listed somewhere in the 5th ed codex? I'm also aware that there was an article in White Dwarf, is that where this stuff is?

Choron
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm just Curious, where are you getting rules for these guys? Also the HQ appears to be a special character, right? Is this listed somewhere in the 5th ed codex? I'm also aware that there was an article in White Dwarf, is that where this stuff is?

lol, the captian is marine with a pretty name :p, as to the rules, marine dex, elite section, and white dwarf 361, janurary 2010's one.

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
OOOH... this is one of those moments where if I had any more energy, I'd feel like an Idiot!

From what I've gathered, a lot of people think LotD are too expensive for what they do. S&P is nice, makes those heavy weapons a B to deal with. Sorry to take you off subject.

Choron
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
OOOH... this is one of those moments where if I had any more energy, I'd feel like an Idiot!

From what I've gathered, a lot of people think LotD are too expensive for what they do. S&P is nice, makes those heavy weapons a B to deal with. Sorry to take you off subject.

that's cool :p

Tynskel
04-04-2010, 11:44 PM

I disagree with the argument.

People think Slow and Purposeful + Aid Unlooked For means take a Meltagun and a Multi-melta and go tank busting. And at that point, yes, they are too expensive for what they do. If you want 2 attack Marines with 3++ invuls blowing up tanks that deep strike: Take a Command Squad with Storm Shields, Meltaguns, a Powerfist and a Drop Pod. Cheaper and much better.

However- if you look at what they are generally armed with, Bolter and 2 attacks, you notice that they are an anti-infantry squad. With Relentless, you can move rapid fire, shoot heavy weapons, and charge. This means that you should generally take anti-infantry type Special Weapons.

I like the Plasma Rifle/ Missile Launcher combo with a power weapon. The missile launcher allows you to still go after relatively heavy armored troops, but has a blast for swarms too. The Plasma is just good for high strength with lots of shots- plus it is the best deal of the special weapons: 20 points for flamer- no, 20 points for a meltagun? no- 20 points for a relentless plasma rifle- YES!

I have used legion to just tear through ranks of infantry- even monsterous creatures!

therealjohnny5
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
@therealjohnny5, i might try your libby with legion sqd, what size sqd you run them in?

i start with a basic 5 and if i've got points i'll take it up a couple, but i've always found 5 to be solid. they just don't die.

Tynskel
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I like taking the 10.

Legion of the Damned excel with weapons be dumped at them-- the rest of your army is being ignored!

One way to encourage this behavior from your opponent is to take the full squad.

blackarmchair
04-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I think you need more anti-tank, I see the 2 lascannons and the 2 missile launchers but honestly there's a lot of armor out there in 5e (the average IG army can easily field 3x AV14 vehicles at this point value).

Also, I understand that you're deep-striking but I think some transports might be nice if nothing else for objective games so you may move your men to objectives quickly toward the endgame.

Just some thoughts...

Beta_Ray_Bill
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I disagree with the argument.

People think Slow and Purposeful + Aid Unlooked For means take a Meltagun and a Multi-melta and go tank busting. And at that point, yes, they are too expensive for what they do. If you want 2 attack Marines with 3++ invuls blowing up tanks that deep strike: Take a Command Squad with Storm Shields, Meltaguns, a Powerfist and a Drop Pod. Cheaper and much better.

However- if you look at what they are generally armed with, Bolter and 2 attacks, you notice that they are an anti-infantry squad. With Relentless, you can move rapid fire, shoot heavy weapons, and charge. This means that you should generally take anti-infantry type Special Weapons.

I like the Plasma Rifle/ Missile Launcher combo with a power weapon. The missile launcher allows you to still go after relatively heavy armored troops, but has a blast for swarms too. The Plasma is just good for high strength with lots of shots- plus it is the best deal of the special weapons: 20 points for flamer- no, 20 points for a meltagun? no- 20 points for a relentless plasma rifle- YES!

I have used legion to just tear through ranks of infantry- even monsterous creatures!

I see says the blind man... that should make them relatively good a chopping down small, expensive armies. A squad or two at a Time. I'm curious about applying a few tactics from my friends Thousand Sons army... One squad using the other as a speed bump... The only difference is that these guys don't have a demon prince, or anything like it...

Tynskel
04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
WS 5 sgt- 4 attack on the charge with a power weapon.
3 attacks each with the rest (27 attacks!)

2 Plasma Shots
1 Missile Shot
15 Bolter (including Sgt Bolt Pistol) shots.

Really, you could blast away all sorts of stuff.

Heh, if you are interested in spending the amount of points to take a 'Multi-Melta'- then buy a plasma pistol for the Sgt.

3 Plasma Shots
1 Missile Shot
14 Bolter Shots
31 Attacks on the charge (4 WS5 power weapon attacks!)

The turn you shoot n' charge orks should do ~14 unsaved wounds. That's half a giant ork squad. They might kill ~2-3 back. But most ork players I have seen don't run massive squads because they try to use trukks...

Choron
04-14-2010, 01:12 AM
hey all,
had a talk with a friend and came up with a list that can take on most ones, more competetive:) , but less LotD :(

HQ
librarian jonah: 140
term armour w/ storm shield, gate o infinity, vortex of doom

captain jack: 155
term armour w/ 2x lightnong claws

Troops

tac sqd ko: 225
+ 5men, missile luancher, flamer, rhino w/ extra armour

tac sqd terros: 235
+5 men, las cannon, flamer, rhino w/ extra amour

tac sqd terra: 240
+5 men, missile luancher, flamer rhino w/ extra amour

Fast Attack
land speeders: 90
assault cannon

land speeders: 90
assault cannon

sm bike sqd "leraka's arm":150
attack bike, multi melta, 2x flamers

Elites
Legion of the Dammed: 240
+ 1 man, melta gun, multi melta, power weapon

assault terminator sqd "thunder storm": 200
4x thunder hammer storm shield

total: 1750

libby(not sure on his second power,(vortex of doom) though) goes with LotD sqd and just generaly picks off tanks and units i don't like while porting around, cap goes with terms and plays "come get me B!", tac sqds hold objectives and shot when they can or if need be hop in their rhino and make like mad for the objective, bike sqd roams around, taking pot shots and harrasing the enemy, turbo last turn to contest closest objective, speeders do strafing runs till last turn then turbo to nearest objective.
what you guys and gals reckon? cc, advice and comp score welcome!
Choron

therealjohnny5
04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
i agree it's more balanced but if you really want to do the LotD army you should. you can always add models later to round out your list for more competitive builds. I think it'd be cooler to do the LotD theme. there's something to be said for building an army based on what you like. and you can always round out the model selection later. One approach to competitive list building is making it so you can table the other guy. you win if you wipe him out. Some BA guys are going that way. an idea would be to max out you LotD slots, minimum troop choices. make it heavy hitting. lots of hvy weapons.

I once fielded a marine army with a total of 11 las most twin linked and annihilated my opponents by turn 3. just an idea