PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Space Wolves for Tournament with unusual scenarios

Dominic
04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Next month I'm going to a local tournament and planning to take my Space Wolves army. There are three scenarios in this tournament which are altered versions of the standard scenarios. They are:

Scenario 1 – Sticks to the Wind
Pirate fleets circle the planet like crows, deploying raiding parties to the hotly contested surface and fighting hard for the best landing zones.
Mission - Seize Loot Uses Special Deployment. The maximum 5 objectives will be placed by the tournament organisers, two on each side and one in the centre. The two objectives nearest your own Deployment zone are worth 1 Loot each, the central one is worth 5 Loot to either player, and the two placed furthest away far ones are worth 3 points each. Only scoring units may capture Loot objectives.
Special Deployment: All tracked and/or wheeled vehicles (including bike-mounted units) must be placed in reserve. Count up your remaining units, at least half of them must be placed in reserve. The rest are deployed via Deep Strike in the first turn.
Special Reserves: All units (except tracked/wheeled vehicles and bikes) must deploy via Deep Strike when they arrive from reserve unless they have been placed inside a transport, in which case they will arrive with the vehicle. Outflanking is permitted where available.

Scenario 2 – Smash and Grab
Having managed to regroup, your force quickly targets a neighbouring raiding party, hoping to relieve them of any stash they might have accumulated. Unfortunately your enemies have had the same idea. To make things worse, the warp storm is getting steadily more unpredictable.
Mission - Smash and Grab: Uses Spearhead deployment. Objectives are placed as per the rules for Secure & Control. The Objective placed in your own deployment zone is worth 5 loot points, the one placed in your opponent's deployment zone is worth 10.
Tactical Assets: If you managed to seize the central objective in Sticks to the wind you may choose to take one of the following three tactical assets for this game only. Munitions dump, Power Supply, Defences. See below for details. Apart from the inherent advantages these grant you the asset also counts as an additional objective for your opponent worth 3 loot points. You do not gain any additional loot for holding onto your asset.
Hazardous Reserves: As the Warp hazard increases each unit arriving via Deep Strike must roll 1D6, the unit suffers a Deep Strike Mishap on the roll of a 4+. Units that MUST enter via deep strike may re-roll this dice but must accept the second result.

Scenario 3 – Run for Your Money (and Your Life)
The warp storm is closing in once more and the pirates are running out of time. But before they can escape, there is always one last chance to secure the mother of all prizes….
Mission - Cut and Run: Uses Pitched Battle deployment. Place a suitable Beacon marker on the centre-point of the table. From turn 3 onwards any unit that starts their turn with any model of part of the model within 6” of the marker may be extracted. Remove the unit from play and keep a tally of how many points they are worth (see Scoring below). Even units locked in CC may be extracted.
Scoring: An extracted unit is worth 2 loot points as long as it is not under half strength or immobilised, in which case it is only worth 1 loot point. Note that Space Marine combat squads are treated as separate units for the purposes of calculating loot points. Likewise, a combined Imperial Guard squad is treated as a single unit.
Reserves: The only reserves that are allowed in this scenario are those that MUST deploy from reserve. These units arrive AFTER “extractions” are resolved.

Army Name: 1500 Space Wolves

[HQ]

HQ 1: Logan Grimnar : 275

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: Wolf Guard Pack(4 man squad): 257
- Terminator Armour (x4)
- Twin Wolf Claws (x4)
- Melta Bombs (x2)
- Drop Pod
- Deathwind Missile Launcher

Troops 2: Grey Hunter Pack (10 man squad): 215
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Fist
- Wolf Standard
- Mark of the Wulfen
- Rhino
- Extra Armour

Troops 3: Grey Hunters Pack (10 man squad): 215
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Fist
- Wolf Standard
- Mark of the Wulfen
- Rhino
- Extra Armour

Troops 4: Grey Hunter Pack (5 man squad): 150
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Fist
- Wolf Standard
- Mark of the Wulfen
- Plasma Gun

Troops 4: Grey Hunter Pack (5 man squad): 150
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Fist
- Wolf Standard
- Mark of the Wulfen
- Plasma Gun

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: Long Fang Pack: 135
- Lascannon (x2)
- Heavy Bolter (x2)

Army Total: 1497

A rundown of the list

Logan will join the wolf claw terminators in their drop pod and give them preferred enemy. This means that they will have a lot of attacks re-rolling to hits and to misses. Since two of the have melta bombs I can spread around wounds more easily. This units job will be to assault whatever they can, mainly taking out scoring units and then hop on an objective themselves (since they count as troops)

The two units of Grey Hunters in Rhinos (10 man squads) will be used for taking the objectives furthest away in scenarios 1 & 2 and in 3 pack their Rhinos in the 'pick up zone' and get stuck in preventing other enemy units from being extracted. By using wolf standard with MotW the guy with it will have (unless I'm really unlucky) 4+ attacks.

The two 5 man squads of Grey Hunters hold my objectives in scenarios 1 & 2 with the ability to counter attack if necessary and what they will do in 3 depends on what army I face. They are just objective holders with the ability to 'bite back' :)

Finally, the Long Fang Pack is there to provide fire support when needed with the ability to split there fire if needed.

I was thinking about stripping the 5 man Grey Hunter Squads down a bit to pay for a razor back for the Long Fangs or using those extra points to buy another Wolf Guard with a cyclone missile launcher or even an Inquisitor ally with mystics to prevent deep striking close to me (have my long fangs within 12") but I'm unsure if that would compromise my defensive capabilities, what do you think?

Any criticism and help is welcomed.

blackarmchair
04-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Alright you have a decent base but your list needs a little work.

First and foremost, drop Logan, he's WAAAAY too much to take in anything under 2k. Also, drop the meltabombs, deathwind missile launcher, and plasma pistols. That should free up 365pts.

With those add a 5th Long Fang with a Lascannon as well as a Wolf Guard Terminator with Cyclone Missile Launcher to the pack. This build will add a LOT more anti-tank to your list.

Also, add some special weapons to your Grey Hunters packs! One of our biggest advantages is having the ability to take 2x weapons in each Pack, use it (I recommend the melta :) )

That sould add only about 150pts (a little less I think), this leaves you enough points to buy another HQ; I'd recommend a Termie Wolf Priest to attach to your Wolf Guard Pack so they still can have preferred enemy!

The mystics aren't necessary, you're a Space Wolf, you'd LIKE them to get close to you ;)

Other than that looks good, you have a great base of troops and solid heavy choices as well!

Dominic
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
re-worked the army list a little and here it is!

[HQ]

HQ 1: Wolf Priest: 115
- Wolftooth Necklace
- Wolftail Talisman

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Wolf Guard Pack (4 man): 247
- Terminator Armour (x4)
- Twin Wolf Claws (x2)
- Storm Shields (x2)
- Wolf Claws (x2)
- Melta Bombs (x2)
- Drop Pod

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: Grey Hunter Pack (5 man): 110
- Rhino

Troops 2: Grey Hunter Pack (5 man): 110
- Rhino

Troops 3: Grey Hunter Pack (10 man): 260
- Plasma Gun (x2)
- Plasma Pistol
- Powerfist
- Wolf Standard
- Mark of the Wulfen
- Drop Pod

Troops 4: Grey Hunter Pack (10 man): 260
- Plasma Gun (x2)
- Plasma Pistol
- Powerfist
- Wolf Standard
- Mark of the Wulfen
- Drop Pod

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: Long Fang Pack: 210
- Heavy Bolter
- Missile Launcher
- Multi-melta
- Plasmacannon
- Lascannon
- Razorback
- Hunter-killer Missile

Heavy Support 2: Predator: 165
- Twin-linked Lascannon
- Lascannon Sponsons

Army Total: 1497

Ok the list now works like...

The wolf priest drops with the wolf guard; giving the re-rolls to hit (and wound thanks to their wolf claws), I’ve stripped down the 5 man wolf claw squads and put them in a Rhino each so they have added mobility. The two 10 man squads can now drop on objectives and hold their own (as space wolves are great counter attackers). A long fang pack in a razor back gives some long ranged support. The predator adds some much needed anti tank.

Any more comments and improvements are welcomed.

blackarmchair
04-06-2010, 08:01 PM
That's lots better. The ONLY thing I'd still consider changing is giving those 5man grey hunters packs some weapons, if nothing else drop the meltabombs out of the wolf guard pack and give them razorbacks and flamers instead.

Dominic
04-07-2010, 01:48 AM
That's lots better. The ONLY thing I'd still consider changing is giving those 5man grey hunters packs some weapons, if nothing else drop the meltabombs out of the wolf guard pack and give them razorbacks and flamers instead.

The melta bombs are there for wound allocation only, now each wolf guard is different in terms of wargear - one with twin wolf claws and a melta bomb, one with tin wolf claws, one with storm shield and, wolf claws and melta bombs and one with a storm shield and a wolf claw.

I could give the dropping grey hunter squads meltas instead of plasmas and use those points for razor backs if you think that would work better

joescalise
04-07-2010, 06:10 AM
those missions sound like fun, where is your tournment at?

joescalise
04-07-2010, 06:13 AM
I would drop the standards in the 5 man squads.

Bitey
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
The melta bombs are there for wound allocation only, now each wolf guard is different in terms of wargear - one with twin wolf claws and a melta bomb, one with tin wolf claws, one with storm shield and, wolf claws and melta bombs and one with a storm shield and a wolf claw.

I could give the dropping grey hunter squads meltas instead of plasmas and use those points for razor backs if you think that would work better

But whats the point in being able to allocate wounds to single wound models? You'll still lose the same number as if you rolled them all together

As for the rest of the list I don't really like the multi weapon types long fangs squad- you can only split fire between 2 targets so I'd try doubling up on some of those weapons (specifically lascannons if you can) the short range of the multimelta can also be a problem for a unit that doesn't really want to get shot at too much...

Dominic
04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
those missions sound like fun, where is your tournment at?

England, somewhere near Halifax

I would drop the standards in the 5 man squads.

The only wolf standards are in the 10 man squads, the 5 man ones have no equipment

But whats the point in being able to allocate wounds to single wound models? You'll still lose the same number as if you rolled them all together

As for the rest of the list I don't really like the multi weapon types long fangs squad- you can only split fire between 2 targets so I'd try doubling up on some of those weapons (specifically lascannons if you can) the short range of the multimelta can also be a problem for a unit that doesn't really want to get shot at too much...

1. Allocating wounds and taking saves works roughly like this: I have two terminators left in my squad (each have unique wargear), take three melta hits. If I rolled them together and passes only one 5++ save then both termies would die, however if two of those wounds were allocated to one terminator and one to the other it could work like this - I fail the two 5++ saves on the same guy and pass the one on the other, that way one guy lives unlike the other example

2. I like to be able to say fire a multimelta, missile launcher and a lascannon at one target and the HB and the PC at the other - it is just my personal preference and for wound allocation as described above