PDA

View Full Version : Primaris Psyker Alternate Psychic Powers

Melissia
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
The Primaris Psyker is considered rather weak, something you really wouldn't want to take on its own-- it's not a very good primary HQ choice. The big reason for that is that it only has two psychic powers and one of them is crappy without another unit to assist (without the psyker battle squad, Night Shroud is less than mediocre).

So, grabbed right out of the Dark Heresy and Dark Heresy: Ascension books (the latter written by Andy Hoare, making these powers at least somewhat canon), here's a rebuilt list of Primaris Psyker powers. The price of the Primaris Psyker is not reduced, so keep that in mind when I list the pricing:

The Primaris Psyker may purchase any two of the following psychic powers. All of these are cast in the shooting phase.

Burning Fists: +20 points
The Primaris Psyker loses the use of his weapons for one game turn (the primaris Psyker may not fire his pistol or use his force weapon). Instead, the Primaris Psyker counts as having two power weapons, and gains +2 strength and initiative.

Inspire: +5 points
The Primaris Psyker, and any friendly units with a model within 6", automatically passes morale and pinning checks for one game turn.

Lightning Arc: +0 points
R24", S6, AP5, Assault 2d6

Nightshroud: +0 points
During the opponent's next turn, any unit trying to shoot at the Primaris Psyker (or his unit) must pass a leadership test or be unable to. Vehicles count as LD10 for the purposes of this test.

Telekinetic Shielding: +15 points
For one game turn, the Primaris Psyker gains a 3++ invulnerable save. If the Primaris psyker is joined to a unit, that unit gains a 5++ invulnerable save for one game turn, as well.

Warp Time: +10 points
For one game turn, all attacks made during the assault phase which are directed at the Primaris Psyker or the unit the Primaris Psyker has joined are made at initiative 1.

For reference, one "game turn" would be the rest of your turn and then the opponent's turn.

Master Bryss
04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
I like these. Couple of thoughts:

1) Burning Fists really needs a points increase. This power would probably have a lot more use than the force weapon, as it's pretty much just a PW against regular units. I'd suggest 15 or 20 points.

2) Warp Time could do with a more unique name. Maybe Time Flux or something.

3) Maybe a cost increase on the Shield too. 15 seems right to me.

Melissia
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Warp Time is the actual name Andy Hoare gave the power in Ascension, which is why I used it.

Gooball
04-07-2010, 04:56 PM
And know i'm thinking of a House song by the bloody beetroots >.<
Anywho awesome magix!

Atrotos
04-07-2010, 04:58 PM
But these powers make the Primaris... good. Melissia, what have you done?

As much as I like this list I feel that it could be longer. I would also add that the idea of paying different points for different powers (treating them like wargear) is outdated. I would have preferred a list of equally powerful abilities at one cost similar to Space Marine Librarians but this is, of course, only bc GW does it that way and, honestly, I'm not really sure they have any clue what they're doing or why.

Melissia
04-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I did it this way because not all psychic powers are equal.

Herald of Nurgle
04-08-2010, 03:35 AM
1) Thank you for going back to the 4th Ed idea of actually <paying> for your OP abilities.

2) Warp Time cost 30pts in the CSM codex, you know, and it was so much less OP. In CSM it's only re-rolling failed rolls to hit and wound y'know.

3) Tele Shielding seems a little OTT in a Guard army, imo. It should be 4++ for the unit and 5++ for all around to make it seem a little more fair, or just make every friendly unit within 6 or 12" have their Armour save as Invulnerable.

Melissia
04-08-2010, 09:36 AM
1) Thank you for going back to the 4th Ed idea of actually <paying> for your OP abilities.
They aren't overpowered.

2) Warp Time cost 30pts in the CSM codex, you know, and it was so much less OP. In CSM it's only re-rolling failed rolls to hit and wound y'know.
I don't give a **** about the CSM codex. I am basing these powers off of the powers available to the Primaris Psyker ascended class in Dark Heresy: Ascension. In truth, that's nigh-impossible to do, because of how the two systems rae dramatically different in how they treat assault. So I compromised.

3) Tele Shielding seems a little OTT in a Guard army, imo. It should be 4++ for the unit and 5++ for all around to make it seem a little more fair, or just make every friendly unit within 6 or 12" have their Armour save as Invulnerable.

... that would make Telekinetic Shielding STRONGER than it already is. How exactly is my idea over the top, but the idea that makes it stronger not over the top?

Currently it merely gives a 5++ save to the unit the Primaris Psyker is joined to, and increases the Primaris Psyker's save to 3++. That's it. Your suggestion would dramatically increase the number of models the power could effect, and make it have a stronger effect, too.

You're failing at rulesmaking...

Necrosis
04-08-2010, 12:15 PM

For number 2, why are you comparing two different powers? Is it just cause they have the same name? Primaris Psyker isn't that good in close combat. Making units strike at I1 isn't that big of deal when facing guard in close combat.

As for number 3, I don't even understand what your trying to say. You want to make it better then it already is? A 4 up invu could create brutal combination's. Also I really dislike the idea of every unit getting an invu equal to their Armour save, that is just asking for abuse. Think of what would happen if you took an allied squad of grey knight terminators. Check it out, my knights have 2+ invu save.