PDA

View Full Version : CrossFit

DarkLink
04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
A forum for a hobby who's main audience consists of nerds, whom stereotypically are the last people to get picked for sports:p, probably isn't the best place to ask this. But what the heck.

Anyone here heard of CrossFit (www.crossfit.com)?

For those who don't know what it is, Crossfit.com itself is a website that, each day, posts a workout of the day (WOD). It follows a 3-day on, then 1 rest day pattern. Here's a more thourough explanation given on the website itself: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

The workouts are very, very different from the typical globo-gym fair. They vary greatly from day to day, typically consisting of 2-3 exercises, all performed at high intensity. One day you might do a workout consisting of pullups and sprints, then the next deadlifts and burpees, then the next day squat cleans and ring dips.

Is anyone else here on BoLS a Crossfitter?

I'm currently on crutches from a broken leg, so I'm getting my workouts in by crutching across my college campus, lol, but before that I had just found out about the local CrossFit gym, and was about to go sign up for it. Awkward timing, eh:rolleyes:...

BuFFo
04-08-2010, 08:50 AM
How much longer do you have before your leg will be healed enough to be out of a cast? I feel for you, bro.

I am a body builder myself, and I have some websites that may be of interest of you.

Fitday (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Login.html?_a_Date=1269907200.)

Fitday is a websute that keeps track of your nutrition/calorie intake on a day by day basis. So if you are on any kid of diet, or just want to know what your daily intake of proteins is, log onto to Fitday and see exactly what you are taking in each day.

I am currently on Atkins (a high fat diet that burns fat like crazy) so I use the site to count my 20g of carbs per day.

Bodybuilding.com (http://www.bodybuilding.com/)

This site has everything you would ever want to know about bodybuilding, dieting, training, fitness, etc... This site should be the home of anyone who wants to change their body. I can't praise this site enough.

Thank you for the link to Crossfit. I hope that my links will help you out in some way as your link has helped me.

Heal quickly, and stay safe.

DarkLink
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks, man. Broke it rappelling march 27, so it's been about two weeks. Got surgery last week on it to get the bone straightened out, and now it's just healing. It'll probably be about 5-6 more weeks from now, roughly.

Yeah, there's some pretty good stuff on Crossfit.com. They have a section called the Journal, where they post daily videos and articles about fitness. Some are just cool workouts, others talk about exercise physiology and nutrition and stuff. Full access to the journal is $25 a year, and it's totally worth it for all the cool stuff they put on there.

And thanks for the links, I'll check them out as well. I've been trying to eat healthier the last year or so, get rid of all the extra flab from when I worked at a desk job for an engineering internship a few summers ago.

Faultie
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I used Crossfit for a while, and still do from time to do. I actually got into in similar circumstances to your own. I took a bad fall while climbing up in Maine, then hiked back down Katahdin to go home. Needless to say, I spent more than a few weeks not doing much of anything physical. I picked up Crossfit not so much as a workout but more as a way to do a bunch of different physical activities, and get used to working various parts.

I don't follow it so well anymore, but it is very useful and I still do it sometimes on off-days (when I'm not running/climbing/whathaveyou)

DarkLink
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I found out about it, maybe, three years ago, and slowly started to try it out. I started getting in progressively better and better shape, even though I didn't follow it very rigorously. I was just about to join a local crossfit gym I had just found out about when I broke my leg.

I know I got some pretty impressive results. Last winter a workout came up that involved maxing on bench press. I hadn't touched a bench in about a year, just done crossfit irregularly. About 3 years ago, my max on bench was 305, so I expected to get in the high 200's. Nope, I got 315, and if I didn't even have a spotter. If I had had one, I would have gone for even more weight.

And then I also went from a ~20 minute fran (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw)to a 4:30 fran, and I bet I could get in the 3 minute range now if it weren't for the leg. That's a MASSIVE improvement right there.