PDA

View Full Version : New to 5th ed.looking for opinions

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
08-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I've been around since 2nd ed.(played 2 dozen games)had 3rd & 4th but, nobody to play. I now have 5th and with the help of my computer have found several gamers in my area (all with a great deal more experience than myself). We are currently playing on my 4x4 necromunda table with 1000pt armies and i have had great success with orks (7-0). However, I'm a space marine player at heart and will be getting a realms of battle table within the next month and a half, allowing us to play 1500 point games. With the models I currently have and the additions of a few new ones I can easily make a 1500pt army.
This is where you more experienced warriors in the cyberverse come in.To avoid purchasing any units I maybe overestimating and allow me to use my space marines as soon as the table is ready. The army list below is designed to bring down my heavy hitters at specific locations,keep the enemy guessing where the reserves will show, all while receiving support from the rear. In my group I will face eldar,chaos,imp. guard (all in various forms) & an ork army that has a warboss on a bike with a large mob of bikers,trukks and battle wagons filled with sluggas and shootas,and a few war buggies. I know the flammers will be useless against choas,but he is the furthest from being battle ready.

HQ
CAPTAIN w/storm bolter,lightning claw,aux. grenade launcher,melta bombs
COMMAND SQUAD w/champion,3 marines (combi-melta & lightning claw,combi-flammer & power weapon,combi-plasma & power weapon) & apothecary all in a drop pod

ELITES
STERNGUARD (+2 veterans)w/ 2 heavy flammers,2 combi-melta,2combi-plasma,Serg w/powerfist all in drop pod
DREADNOUGHT w/heavy flammer,twin linked heavy flammer,extra armor,in a drop pod

TROOPS
SCOUT SQUAD (+5 scouts) 4w/shotguns,5w/combat blades & Serg w/power fist & combi-flammer
SCOUT SQUAD (+5scouts) 9w/sniper rifles,1w/missile launcher & Serg w/meita bombs,all wearing camo cloaks

HEAVY SUPPORT
VINDICATOR w/storm bolter,siege sheild
PREDATOR w/heavy bolters,storm bolters
THUNDERFIRE CANNON

TOTAL POINTS = 1498 This is my first list and i consider it a jumping off point.Most of the units in this army will be used in other variations of army list that i'll only have to add small amounts to rather than starting a new. So let me know what you think, about the army in general,if i left any core unit out that no general should be without.Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated i look forward to your suggestions.

This is my first post,first forum,first steps entering the computer age, so sorry it was so long I'm sure I'll be less long winded in the future. To all that read though and/ or replied to this monster entry THANK YOU !!!

crazyredpraetorian
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I've been around since 2nd ed.(played 2 dozen games)had 3rd & 4th but, nobody to play. I now have 5th and with the help of my computer have found several gamers in my area (all with a great deal more experience than myself). We are currently playing on my 4x4 necromunda table with 1000pt armies and i have had great success with orks (7-0). However, I'm a space marine player at heart and will be getting a realms of battle table within the next month and a half, allowing us to play 1500 point games. With the models I currently have and the additions of a few new ones I can easily make a 1500pt army.
This is where you more experienced warriors in the cyberverse come in.To avoid purchasing any units I maybe overestimating and allow me to use my space marines as soon as the table is ready. The army list below is designed to bring down my heavy hitters at specific locations,keep the enemy guessing where the reserves will show, all while receiving support from the rear. In my group I will face eldar,chaos,imp. guard (all in various forms) & an ork army that has a warboss on a bike with a large mob of bikers,trukks and battle wagons filled with sluggas and shootas,and a few war buggies. I know the flammers will be useless against choas,but he is the furthest from being battle ready.

HQ
COMMAND SQUAD w/champion,3 marines (combi-melta & lightning claw,combi-flammer & power weapon,combi-plasma & power weapon) & apothecary all in a drop pod

ELITES
STERNGUARD (+2 veterans)w/ 2 heavy flammers,2 combi-melta,2combi-plasma,Serg w/powerfist all in drop pod

TROOPS
SCOUT SQUAD (+5 scouts) 4w/shotguns,5w/combat blades & Serg w/power fist & combi-flammer
SCOUT SQUAD (+5scouts) 9w/sniper rifles,1w/missile launcher & Serg w/meita bombs,all wearing camo cloaks

HEAVY SUPPORT
THUNDERFIRE CANNON

TOTAL POINTS = 1498 This is my first list and i consider it a jumping off point.Most of the units in this army will be used in other variations of army list that i'll only have to add small amounts to rather than starting a new. So let me know what you think, about the army in general,if i left any core unit out that no general should be without.Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated i look forward to your suggestions.

This is my first post,first forum,first steps entering the computer age, so sorry it was so long I'm sure I'll be less long winded in the future. To all that read though and/ or replied to this monster entry THANK YOU !!!

I would add some more troop choices for objective grabbing/holding.

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
in my 1st post, I did not go into detail about how i wanted to use my army out of fear it would become to long and no one would read it or reply. This is what i was thinking-combat squad my sniper sq. to sit on objectives in my own zone. use the CC scout sq. to infiltrate/fire on/then assault an objective in my enemies zone, while 2 of my 3 drop pods would contest a different objective or lay fire down on a large group of troops. Set my thunderfire cannon in the middle of my deployment zone providing cover fire where needed, with the pred. shielding my vindicator as both move up the the center of the board from my deployment zone. Leaving my last drop pod to contest an objective or hit a tough squad. This is just the general theme, my plan will have to vary with missions, objectives, and who i'm playing,but i wanted you to know what i had in mind for this list.
With this in mind what do you think i should cut from my list? and should i add a 3rd scout squad or a tactical squad in its place?

Chumbalaya
08-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Relic Blade > Lightning Claw, the S6 is too good. An interesting set up, though why you would take combi-meltas over normal meltas is beyond me. Strap on some Storm Shields too for funsies.

Must be full sized, PF is unnecessary (they are there to shoot, combat tactics gets out of fights), more melta.

Confuzzled. Go MM/HF or Ironclad. Any other upgrades you don't need (extra armor is overpriced).

5 Scouts aren't winning any fights, grab a Tac Squad instead. Camo cloaked objective holders are solid.

THUNDERFIRE CANNON

With no other armor starting on the board, these things will get pounded.

It's a very mixed list, you've got DPs coming in but armor starting on the board plus Scouts waltzing up the board to die.

I'd recommend going for a mech list, Tacs in Rhinos, Speeders, Preds, Vinds, with Dreads and Sternies in Pods to give you some pressure early on. It's more consistent, starting on the board and staying mobile and much more flexible than dropping on somebody's head every game and hoping you can alpha strike them into submission.

mkerr
08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO -- thanks for posting your army list!

A couple of general comments:

1. Move to a 6x4 table a quickly as you can get around to it. It really changes the game. I'm impressed that you are handling Orks so well; I'd hate to deal with Orks on a 4x4 table.

2. I'm going to give you some basic advice for building an all-comers army. I generally don't recommend tailoring your army for specific opponents (unless you just don't have any choice).

3. It looks like you want to focus on both fun and a competitive army, so I'll keep that in mind.

4. At 1500pts, you want to keep individual unit costs down -- especially your HQ. It's very easy to go overboard on wargear, but try to resist.

Army specific comments:

1. I recommend keeping your commander and command squad simple. Since you are going with three Drop Pods, you want to make sure these units can do their job without a lot of support. I'd stay with the Captain and go with a simple Power Weapon. Both the Lightning Claw and the Relic Blade are decent choices, but that's more of a personal preference in my opinion.

SIDE NOTE: The Lightning Claw vs. Relic Blade trade-off is interesting. In most cases, the Relic Blade is superior to the single Lightning Claw but the Lightning Claw is no slouch either:

Chance to Wound
Toughness....RB..vs...LC......DIFF
3................83%.....89%.....-6%
4................83%.....75%.....+8%
5................67%.....56%.....+11%
6................50%.....31%.....+19%
7................33%.....31%.....+2%
8................17%.....0%......+17%

So it's very clearly superior against T5 opponents, but very close elsewhere. The real advantage of the Relic Blade comes when dealing with Armor Values, but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra 15pts.

2. Drop the rest of the Captain's wargear; you need those points for models. The Champion is one of those personal preferences as well. I like the +1 WS, but I don't care for the Combat Shield. He's probably worth it if you plan on adding a Power Weapon to the unit.

3. I wouldn't combine special weapons in your command squad. If you want them, then go with all Combi-Meltas. I'd probably tool this unit more for close combat and leave the shooting to my Sternguard.

4. Move the Power Fist to the command squad and drop the special weapons from the Sternguard. Those heavy flamers cost way too much and their special ammunition rules are pretty sweet. If you add anything, consider Combi-Meltas because it doesn't interfere with their special ammunition. Everyone needs a Bolter or a Combi-Weapon -- nothing else is necessary for this unit.

5. With the Dreadnought built-out, you are better off with an Ironclad. They are tons of fun, if you plan on using Drop Pods.

6. You are spending 175pts on that Scout Squad, why not spend the extra 20pts and get Tactical Marines with a real flamer and a free Heavy Weapon? Close Combat Scouts just aren't that great, unless you need a forward Teleport Homer (which you don't).

7. Drop the Meltabombs from the second Scout Squad. They'll never get used.

8. I wouldn't bother with the storm bolters on the vehicles; more bodies is better at the point level you are playing.

Best of luck and I'm glad to see you posting in the Lounge!

-- MKerr