PDA

View Full Version : Eldar stuff just in.

Dakilla
08-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I just bought a whole lot of Eldar. Now I'm wondering which weapons to pick and which options to choose. If you guys and girls could make some army lists and then I can pick whatever I like best. I have some ideas but I'm a pretty new player so some help would be appreciated. Magnetizing is no option since I lack the skills to do that.

Eldrad ulthran
Farseer with 3 Warlocks
Dire avengers
Guardians x2
Striking scorpions
Howling Banshees
Wave serpent x3
War walker x3
Wraithlord

All just the normal GW boxes.

Greeny
08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I just bought a whole lot of Eldar. Now I'm wondering which weapons to pick and which options to choose. If you guys and girls could make some army lists and then I can pick whatever I like best. I have some ideas but I'm a pretty new player so some help would be appreciated. Magnetizing is no option since I lack the skills to do that.

If you make the effort and put up what you think is the best army list you will probably get a better response than asking other people to write one for you.

Warforged999
08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I personally run my war walkers with two Scater Lasers for fire power ( 24 Shots if you have 3) , or two starcannons to deal with 2+ saves. If you are to bring them a Farseer near them guiding is best, Along with dooming the unit you want to kill. Wave Serpants I always run with Twin Linked Brightlance. dire Avengers give the exarch two catapults and bladestorm is what I like. I do other things, but that is some good starting points.

Dakilla
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
HQ
Eldrad Ulthran 210
Farseer (Spirit Stones,Fortune,Guide)+(Warlocks x3,Destructor x3,Singing spear,Spiritsear) in a (Wave Serpent,Spirit Stones,Vectored Engines,Brightlance) 404

Troops
Dire Avengers, 10 (Exarch,Double cat, Bladestorm) in a (Wave Serpent,Spirit Stones,Star Engines,Shuriken Cannon) 277
Guardians, 10 Brightlance 110

Elites
Howling Banshees, 6 (Exarch,Executionar,War Shout,Acrobatic) in a (Wave Serpent,Spirit Stones,Star Engines,Shuriken Cannon) 253

Heavy Support
Wraithlord, 1 Brightlance,Missile Launcher,Flamers 155
War Walker Squadron, 3 Scatter Lasers x6 180

Points Summary:
HQ: 614
Troops: 497
Elites: 253
Fast Attack: 0
Heavy Support: 335
Total: 1699

I didn't want to put up my list because I wanted people to think about what they would do instead of what they thought of my list but this is to show I've put in effort. This is just one of my ideas. Please show me yours.

keithsilva
08-07-2009, 04:27 PM
my only question is what are you trying to accomplish with the army, are you trying to bring the fight to them or bring them to u. I play my eldar either way depending on misson and army. I have a 1750 list that I havent changed in a long time, and seems to do well with all missions and assult or shooty armies.

Dakilla
08-09-2009, 08:03 AM
The idea is to bring the fight to me except with shooty armies, then i'll bring the fight to them.

themonad
08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
All in all you have a decent list. The biggest problem that I see is you have Eldrad and company in a Wave Serpent that they have to Disembark out of to do all their fun fun goodness. Why bother putting the whole council in the Serpent? Mobility is not going to be important since your spirit seer, your only one, has to be in the seer council with Eldra and co. which will presumably be floating around giving bonuses to different units. Guardians are trash imo, I've converted most of mine to Dire Avengers and sticking eldrad in a Serpent with them is a much better way to go. Now you need to make sure that there is a psyker with 6" or 12" with the upgrade of your wraithlord. If your spirit seer is part of Eldrad's retinue he cant leave them and you will have the chance of rolling a 1 and end up with a nice chunk of Eldar plastic sitting on your table getting lit up with auto-hits.

Just my two cents

Skitter Leap
08-09-2009, 02:37 PM
HQ
Eldrad Ulthran 210
Farseer (Spirit Stones,Fortune,Guide)+(Warlocks x3,Destructor x3,Singing spear,Spiritsear) in a (Wave Serpent,Spirit Stones,Vectored Engines,Brightlance) 404
With such a small squad it doesn't have much staying power. I would drop the warlocks. Switch guide for doom and stick the farseer in the wave serpent with Banshees.

Troops
Dire Avengers, 10 (Exarch,Double cat, Bladestorm) in a (Wave Serpent,Spirit Stones,Star Engines,Shuriken Cannon) 277

Lance is not a strong weapon for bs3 guardians. I would go with Scatter Lasers and add a warlock with conceal (embolden would be better if you play on terrain heavy boards and cover wont be an issue). Also you could upgrade one to a spiritseer to babysit your wraithlord so he is not affected by wraithsight.

Elites
Howling Banshees, 6 (Exarch,Executionar,War Shout,Acrobatic) in a (Wave Serpent,Spirit Stones,Star Engines,Shuriken Cannon) 253

Heavy Support
Wraithlord, 1 Brightlance,Missile Launcher,Flamers 155
War Walker Squadron, 3 Scatter Lasers x6 180

I would also drop Eldrad and bring your striking scorpions in the transport your seer was using.With the loss of your Lances on your guardians look at upgrading another serpent with lances. Since you only have small sized units to work with right now I would try to keep your list around 1500 until you can bulk up your scorpion and banshee units.

Dakilla
08-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Eldrad is going with the Dire avengers. The mini counsil goes in the transport to be a spiritseer for the Wraithlord and a guide for the war walkers and fortune on the wraithlord or the mini counsil. If something scary comes close the counsil gets out to kill it.

Skitter Leap
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
So you have a 400 point unit that has to stay within 12 inches of the wraithlord and 6 inches of the warwalkers for guide. That's to many points sitting in one basket for the role you want them to play when you could do it better and cheaper. If forced to go on the offence your counsil will be stuck babysitting, or if you do move off now you wraithlord runs the risk of wraightsight and your warwalkers become half as effective.

Eldar are great at specializing for a specific task so run with that.

Your 400 point HQ is trying to do too many things. If you want it to sit back that's fine but it does not need a waveserpent then. I would then use those serpent point and try to skim points here and there to get those scorpions on the table. If you want to be more mobile then I would drop the destructor power from 2 of the warlocks. They would play a better counter assault force with Embolden to help them stick in combat in-case they lose, also you get to re-roll any failed psychic tests, and Enhance.

Dakilla
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
The reason there in the ws is because it's also my bright lance platform. This way I have 3 moving and shooting units who are also really affective in cc. I will keep moving them forwards together. That was my idea atleast.

chasbro
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Get yourself 2 squads of Fire Dragons, then put them inside some falcons and start cooking with gas:

210 Eldrad Ulthran (Deployed in serpent w/ Dire Avengers)

197 x10 Howling Banshees Exarch w/ executioner, war shout, acrobat.
145 Wave Serpent w/ Twin-linked Bright Lances, Spirit stones

152 x10 Dire Avengers Exarch w/ 2 Shuriken catapults, Bladestorm

152 x10 Dire Avengers Exarch w/ 2 Shuriken catapults, Bladestorm

210 x3 War Walkers (x3 Star cannons and x3 Scatter lasers)

190 Falcon w/ Pulse Laser and Bright Lance Holofields, Spirit Stones
131 x6 Fire Dragons Exarch w/ Fire Pike and Tank Hunters
190 Falcon w/ Pulse Laser and Bright Lance Holofields, Spirit Stones
131 x6 Fire Dragons Exarch w/ Fire Pike and Tank Hunters

Bunny
08-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Here's one quick alternative list:

Eldrad210
Farseer (Doom, Guide and Spirit stones)_120

10x Guardians (with Scatter Laser led by a Warlock with Conceal)_135
10x Guardians (with Scatter Laser led by a Warlock with Conceal)_135
10x Dire Avengers (Exarch with Diresword, Defend and Bladestorm)_172
-Wave Serpent (Missile Launcher)_120

6x Banshee's (Exarch with Executioner and Acrobatic)_123
-Wave Serpent (Brightlance)_135
6x Striking Scorpions (Exarch with Scorpions Claw and Shadowstrike)_143

Wraithlord (Brightlance and Flamers)_130

3xWar Walkers (6xScatter Lasers)_180

Wave Serpent (brightlance)_135

Total: 1738

The last Wave Serpent could either Outflank with the scorpions or if the Scorpions Infiltrate then you could stick one squad of guardians inside for some late game objective grabbing.

I think your list is pretty good, but I agree with Skitter Leap. The Warlock bodyguard is just to small, and guardians with a brightlance are to unreliable in my opinion.

Do you plan to expand the army? if so what points total are you aiming for?

Dakilla
08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I like too make a lot of lists and buy a lot of models so I'll most likely keep buying Eldar. Nuff stuff still too buy. Any comments on what too buy first? I don't really like metal units and am kinda afraid that in 2 years all those metals will have plastic counterparts, but with Eldar I will just have too get over that I think.

Bunny
08-21-2009, 04:38 AM
To be honest, I think you own at least one of every good plastic kit they do! A lot of people like jetbike squads, although there was a prototype of a new eldar jetbike seen some time ago (the pic is on this site somewhere). Other than that Dire Avengers are a fairly strong troop choice, I often field two squads of ten.

As for lead models, some more warlocks would give you a more practical seer council. To be honest all the aspects are pretty cool, even if some are not that competitive. They are all useful in certain situations, my best advice is read the rule for each and pick the ones you think will be coolest!

Looking at what you've already got, shining spears are pretty flexible and very mobile, Fire Dragons give you some serious anti-vehicle fire and work well in a serpent. A fire prism adds a cheap, reasonably effective heavy support choice. And don't forget your HQ's, two Farseers can be very effective but sometimes its nice to throw in a hard close combat character, so I would recommend a Pheonix Lord or Yriel for a bit of variety.

Hope you find at least some of my rambling usefull!

Dakilla
08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah thanks. I bought Yriel and 5 Dark Reapers. I noticed Guardians are dead in seconds. A second squad of DA might indeed be effective to get some more lasting troops.

Bunny
08-28-2009, 02:16 AM
I used to take Dark Reapers a lot, there's very little that chews through power armored units as effectively. Now though they tend to attract a barrage of Lascannons and Krak missiles. Its a shame really, last time I used them in a battle I was down to 1 man from 5 by my turn 2, and they weren't even that exposed!

In larger battles (2000pts upwards) you could combine your two squads of guardians into one squad of 15+, and throw in a Warlock with Conceal. I've found that as long as you have got at least two other troop choices, any guardians sat towards the back of the board are often ignored until later in the game, when hopefully the enemy can't spare to much to shoot at them and they can secure an objective. And if they all die, while tragic as far as the fluff is concerned, they will at least have drawn some attention away from your better units and they should kill a few things before they go.

vman
08-28-2009, 03:47 AM
If the enemy wont come to you take 10 striking scorpions + Karandras

The scorpions give you 36 str4 attacks on the charge, plus 5 power fist attacks from the exarch

Karandras gives you 7 power fist attacks on the charge hitting at str5 normal or str10 if using the fist.

Taking Karandras along allows you to also deploy this unit 12" away from the enemy in cover, or 18" away in plain sight.

Sure, you might not take them out of cover straight away, but it sure does throw off you enemy knowing they have a deadly force so close at start of the game.

LOL... 36 Str4 attacks + 5 Str8 + 7 Str10

Fun fun fun

Bunny
08-28-2009, 07:51 PM
If the enemy wont come to you take 10 striking scorpions + Karandras

The scorpions give you 36 str4 attacks on the charge, plus 5 power fist attacks from the exarch

Karandras gives you 7 power fist attacks on the charge hitting at str5 normal or str10 if using the fist.

Taking Karandras along allows you to also deploy this unit 12" away from the enemy in cover, or 18" away in plain sight.

Sure, you might not take them out of cover straight away, but it sure does throw off you enemy knowing they have a deadly force so close at start of the game.

LOL... 36 Str4 attacks + 5 Str8 + 7 Str10

Fun fun fun

Funnily enough, in that game I mentioned with the Dark Reapers getting spanked. I had the above in a Wave Serpent, they outflanked, came on and killed 10 Tactical Marines, 10 Scouts led by Telion and a Predator Annhilator which pretty much dominated that half of my opponents deployment zone. They can be a pretty powerful force, but an expensive one.

I'm not sure your statistics are correct though, would it not be:

36 Str4 attacks + 4 Str6 + 7 Str8?

vman
08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Funnily enough, in that game I mentioned with the Dark Reapers getting spanked. I had the above in a Wave Serpent, they outflanked, came on and killed 10 Tactical Marines, 10 Scouts led by Telion and a Predator Annhilator which pretty much dominated that half of my opponents deployment zone. They can be a pretty powerful force, but an expensive one.

I'm not sure your statistics are correct though, would it not be:

36 Str4 attacks + 4 Str6 + 7 Str8?

Yeh the stats are a bit mixed

the 9 scorpions get 36 str 4 (3 + 1str from the sword)

the exarch would get str6 if he had the power claw, or str4 if he used the sword

Karandras would get str8 from the claw and str 5 from the swords

Does the +1 str from the swords add to his total baseline str and thus in turn effect his powerclaw attacks?

Bunny
08-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Does the +1 str from the swords add to his total baseline str and thus in turn effect his powerclaw attacks?

Sadly not, you can only use one weapon or the other. I don't have the rulebook to hand right now, but I'm pretty sure that even if you could combine the two weapons bonus', you would double first and then add 1.

Mind you, even at 'only' Str 8, Karandras is still pretty dangerous. Just a shame he's got no Invulnerable save.

vman
08-29-2009, 03:12 AM
ok... well in that case what i would then be inclined to do is use the 10man scorpion squad + Karandras to attack the enemy target.

Depending on the size of the target squad i would hit first (obviously) with the 36 str 4 standard attacks... Now depending on how many casualties caused, i would then chose with the exarch to use either the fist or the standard attack. Should the enemy squad be an expensive unit i would attack to go for as many possible power fist attacks with the exarch and Karandras. If the enemy squad has volume of numbers i would go with the higher initiative lower str attacks... that way when its the enemies turn to attack back, they have less in numbers to hit with.

The options are there fortunately