PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen suck.

iamaddj
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Lizardmen Suck. Prove me wrong.

HammerofVaul
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Really? I have seen them be pretty nasty. Cold-Blooded is an amazing ability, they have fantastic unit variety, and some of the best magic in the game.

BuFFo
08-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Proof? Skinks.

I win.

Sigose
08-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Ya know, they are a fun and nasty army. >;) There rules are quite great and ungodly awesome.

Personally I don't understand why you make posts like this that says I HATE THIS THING prove me wrong at anytime. -. -

Try and give me a actual reason to argue with you in the future. ;p

Cryl
08-07-2009, 05:50 AM

They're dinosaurs that get to ride around on other larger dinosaurs! What's not to like? :D

BilboBaggins
08-07-2009, 07:31 AM
I've seen some nasty Skink Armies, poisoned attacks, Blowpipes and Javelins. Then their support with Saurus, Kroxigors and Stegs, how does the army stink?

Is it you are playing the army or against it? What are the level of the players with the army?

Grabnutz
08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
According to my new Ogre Butcher they taste like chicken :D Just need peri-peri sauce...

Cheers,
Grabnutz, the worst general in warhammer history.

Dingareth
08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Go back to your 4chan now please.

Between Stegadons, Saurus Warriors with Spears, and Skinks all backed by the Cold Blooded rule, I'd say Lizardmen have knocked Dark Elves out of the top 3.

BilboBaggins
08-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Between Stegadons, Saurus Warriors with Spears, and Skinks all backed by the Cold Blooded rule, I'd say Lizardmen have knocked Dark Elves out of the top 3.

I wouldn't go that far.

Of the 7th Edition Books

Daemons
Vampire Counts
Dark Elves
Warriors of Chaos
High Elves
Lizardmen
Empire
Dwarfs (OK, they are version 6.5)
Orcs and Goblins

Lizards and Empire can be built nasty, but most I've seen haven't been.

iamaddj
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Personally I don't understand why you make posts like this that says I HATE THIS THING prove me wrong at anytime. -. -

Try and give me a actual reason to argue with you in the future. ;p

HAHA, sorry guys. This was really a bit of an inside joke between me and Bigred last night. I am well aware how good Lizardmen are. But it is nice to see the increased discussion on them.

So I pose a different question, do you think Lizards should take, Suarus, Skinks or Skinks/Krox for core choices?

BilboBaggins
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
So I pose a different question, do you think Lizards should take, Suarus, Skinks or Skinks/Krox for core choices?

I would say YES.

Take them all.

Bring Balance to the Force. :D

Sigose
08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I would say YES.

Take them all.

Bring Balance to the Force. :D
agreed, :D

jamesTFL
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Skrox and saurus are by no means bad choices but skinks are by far the best point value unit in that book. with their ability to divert chargers almost 90 degrees and move 12 to get into position to do so a nice skink wall can make sure the opponent only gets the charges you want and forget about frenzy units.

Saurus are a better choice that skrox imo simply because the ws 3 krox aren't enough impact against most any decent charger. I mean 3 of them is only 4.5 hits a turn with maybe two kills versus and armored foe, the enemy will more than make up for that against your skinks. In order to make skrox a decent damage dealer you have to make them a big unit and thus they lose some of the advantage of their move 6

in sum for the tl:dr crowd
1.)skinks
2.)saurus
3.)skrox

brominated
08-10-2009, 03:16 PM
My usual list runs 1 block Saurus w/Hand Weapon and shield, 1 block Spearalicious Saurus, and 1 Skirmishing skinks. Everyone overlooks 20 Skirmishing skinks until they get the 40 shots of poison doom and then they go out of their way to taking care of them. They'll walk alongside and support or run forward and annoy/march block by which time my heavy hitters have gotten position. I like the idea of skrox, but I'm having a hard time resolving it as a front line unit. It seems that it would be much smaller and more maneuverable to have Kroxis on their own hitting flanks.

L192837465
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
The unit with skinks and krox in the same unit, in my opinion, underperforms. The skinks die away giving your opponent combat res he wouldn't normally be able to get.

A skink priest with the +d6 impact hits on a stegadon joining a unit of cold one knights would be hilarious.

Dingareth
08-11-2009, 08:51 AM
A skink priest with the +d6 impact hits on a stegadon joining a unit of cold one knights would be hilarious.

And quite illegal too. Only a Skink Chief can take the Warspear.

L192837465
08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
And quite illeagal[sic] too. Only a Skink Chief can take the Warspear.

Whatever, you knew what I was talking about.

Joker's Wild
08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
My usual list runs 1 block Saurus w/Hand Weapon and shield, 1 block Spearalicious Saurus, and 1 Skirmishing skinks. Everyone overlooks 20 Skirmishing skinks until they get the 40 shots of poison doom and then they go out of their way to taking care of them. They'll walk alongside and support or run forward and annoy/march block by which time my heavy hitters have gotten position. I like the idea of skrox, but I'm having a hard time resolving it as a front line unit. It seems that it would be much smaller and more maneuverable to have Kroxis on their own hitting flanks.

Why would you take 1 unit of 20 as opposed to 2 units of 10? I can't think of any reason to... :confused:

L192837465
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Why would you take 1 unit of 20 as opposed to 2 units of 10? I can't think of any reason to... :confused:

Combat res.

Dingareth
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
By combat res do you mean so that combat res runs twice as many down? Even 20 Skinks isn't going to outnumber much by the time combat is done, personally I wouldn't run anymore than 10 in a unit, ever. It also lets you shoot two different targets, since 20 shots will usually pick off enough for them to loose a rank.

Chumbalaya
08-11-2009, 01:43 PM
It's all about Saurus and Skink Skirmishers. Skinks and Kroxies are terribad because of their crazy unit size, huge price tag, WS3 fatties, and the whole T2 5+ save free combat res from stupid skinks.

Slann are still magical powerhouses, Steggies are great and plentiful, Saurus characters are cheapo beat sticks (Scar Vet w/ GW is how much? Awesome!), lots of skirmishers, lots of dakka, lots of good fighters, Temple Guard.

Great book, extremely competitive.

BilboBaggins
08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Skirmishing Skinks do not get rank bonuses for combat res, so why take a huge unit since if they are in CC they will be down by a few points before they make their attacks.

wittdooley
08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
By combat res do you mean so that combat res runs twice as many down? Even 20 Skinks isn't going to outnumber much by the time combat is done, personally I wouldn't run anymore than 10 in a unit, ever. It also lets you shoot two different targets, since 20 shots will usually pick off enough for them to loose a rank.

Completely agree. The purpose of those skinks is either as screeners or harassers. I like mine to be smallish and highly mobile but still in great numbers. I often use three units of 10x skirmishers because you can harass on both flanks and use the one in the middle to screen if need be. Skinks ARE NOT going to win H2H combats, they DO NOT recieve rank bonuses or any combat res bonuses, and 10 skinks will usually hold up in H2H for more than one round unless they're against elites. Pretty good, IMO.

Oh yeah, and Saurus are one of the most BA core units in the game, not to mention you can get a Saurus Scar Vet with 5+ attacks for a sinfully cheap cost.

L192837465
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM

I thought you were talking about Saurus. 20 skinks gets 2x as many shots, but I agree, 10 is way better.

brominated
08-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I run the 20 because 40 shots will almost guarantee someone or something is taking a morale check. Also the Skinks will be overlooked until they realize how much firepower they throw out. Its a mental tool mostly, they see that horde of skinks and have to focus on it (at a mere 140 pts) its worth it. They have ALWAYS earned their points. Also, if I get charged, chances are I'll knock enough down with 40 shots on the stand and shoot that someone will regret it. Its sort of like a poor-mans Razordon pack.

BilboBaggins
08-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I can see running 20, but not all 20 in one unit. 2 units of 10 can split their fire over two targets. If you already have one target taking a panic test or killed off, then you can fire at something else.

L192837465
08-13-2009, 08:30 AM
I run the 20 because 40 shots will almost guarantee someone or something is taking a morale check. Also the Skinks will be overlooked until they realize how much firepower they throw out. Its a mental tool mostly, they see that horde of skinks and have to focus on it (at a mere 140 pts) its worth it. They have ALWAYS earned their points. Also, if I get charged, chances are I'll knock enough down with 40 shots on the stand and shoot that someone will regret it. Its sort of like a poor-mans Razordon pack.

I'm not sure what your metagame is like, but here in Austin Tx, if you play a 3 game tournament you have a 95% chance to play something that ignores panic, can be raised, or has a ton of ward saves. Deamons, VC, TK, WoC with Slaanesh or Khorne, and Lizardmen are all either immune or won't care about a panic check.

Since skinks are core, try breaking all of your units up into 10s and run them with 2 units intermingled or whatever. you still have just as many shots, but 4x the options.

brominated
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Unfortunately our Fantasy gamers are few and far between. 40k rules the roost where I am but I do see a lot of Dark Elves (Which get eaten up by Skinks), Vampires have been coming up in which case I'll more than likely break up to add more mobility. But also since they're mostly T3, the darts will do quite a bit of damage prior to my charge. I'll try it and see how it works. I'm mostly worried about the skinks getting shot and causing panic. With 20, thats a lot less likely to happen.

L192837465
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately our Fantasy gamers are few and far between. 40k rules the roost where I am but I do see a lot of Dark Elves (Which get eaten up by Skinks), Vampires have been coming up in which case I'll more than likely break up to add more mobility. But also since they're mostly T3, the darts will do quite a bit of damage prior to my charge. I'll try it and see how it works. I'm mostly worried about the skinks getting shot and causing panic. With 20, thats a lot less likely to happen.

You are effectively leadership 9 with your 5 and coldblooded. You'll pass more than you fail. By a long shot.

Aldramelech
08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't go that far.

Of the 7th Edition Books

Daemons
Vampire Counts
Dark Elves
Warriors of Chaos
High Elves
Lizardmen
Empire
Orcs and Goblins

At my local gaming club The Orcs and Goblins won last years Tournament and look to win this years too.
Most of the players are very experianced and the Greenskin player is no better/worse then any of them, how are they rated last?

BilboBaggins
08-16-2009, 01:50 AM
At my local gaming club The Orcs and Goblins won last years Tournament and look to win this years too.
Most of the players are very experianced and the Greenskin player is no better/worse then any of them, how are they rated last?

They aren't last of all books but near the bottom of the 7th edition ones.

Heck the EWC tournaments lets them take 2500 points into battle vs 2250 of Empire/Dwarfs or 2000 of Daemons/Vampire Counts.

thewickedworm
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
The models are cool, though.

Arromanche
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Old Lizards W=9 L=13 D=3

New Lizards W=46 L=22 D=5

Mazelf
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't go that far.

Of the 7th Edition Books

Daemons
Vampire Counts
Dark Elves
Warriors of Chaos
High Elves
Lizardmen
Empire
Orcs and Goblins

hey! what about wood elves?

BilboBaggins
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
I said 7th edition, Wood Elves, Ogres, Tomb Kings, Bretonnians, Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarfs are 6th.

From what I'm hearing is Skaven is just below Dark Elves, they came out after I made the list. Beastmen (no long Beasts of Chaos) is coming out next month so lets see where they land.

Fossil Hunter
02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Nakai, The Wanderer. Enough said.

http://sgabetto.free.fr/Telechargements/nakai.pdf

Duke Rich
05-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Proof? Skinks.

I win.

Damn Skinks, killed both Eltharion and Stormwing, left the rest of my army (apart from the Phoenix Guard) wondering what the hell's going on as they stare at their general lying on the floor riddled with darts

TheBitzBarn
06-15-2010, 12:09 AM
HAHA, sorry guys. This was really a bit of an inside joke between me and Bigred last night. I am well aware how good Lizardmen are. But it is nice to see the increased discussion on them.

They should take you and Smack you for heresy

NonComPoop
06-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd say that the Lizardmen have no real apparent weaknesses. Strong holders with Saurus (or ghetto chaos warriors as we like to call them around here). They also have great hitters with skinks, terredons(nasty) stegadons , Razordons and magic.
...don't get me started on cold one riders, I'd put them only second to chaos knights as far as heavy cavalry go.

They do require a stategicly minded person to play them though, a person who is used to playing one dimensional armies tend not to do so well with them.