PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms Ogres and Rank Bonuses

Lednera
04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
how does this work how do I calculate rank bonuses with Ogres?

lobster-overlord
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Like every other army... there are no special numbers for Ogres. You get the bonus only if you have 4 ogres in the second and subsequent ranks.

John M>

addamsfamily36
04-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I believe off the top of my head, its similar to cavalry.

I.e cavalry counts as unit strength 2 for every 1 model so you only need 3 to gain that rank bonus as 3 models = 6 for purposes of rank benifits and outnumbering.

With ogres they each have 3 wounds and multiple wound models (again this is off the top of my head) count as having a number equal to its words for example:

a unit of 6 bulls in ranks of 3. you gain a rank bonus because the total number of wounds per rank is 9. an opponent would have to kill 2 of the ogres in your back rank to negate your rank bonus.

I hope this helps but remember i'm calling from memory so i might be very wrong.

addamsfamily36
04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
ah i was writing that before i saw lobsters post.

i should go get my rulebook really.

either way you need 5 for a rank bonus not 4. 4 was 6th edition

lobster-overlord
04-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Sorry, I was going from memory, but I know it's the same as other armies. OK is my main Fantasy army at this time, but I havn't played but once in the last year (I get one night a month to play without the kids bothering, so Fantasy is low on my priority list :0))

John M.

addamsfamily36
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
no worries i'm quoting/trying to explain from memory too, by rulebook is back at my uni flat :(

from what i understand of ranks though when it comes to ogre sized creatures (same goes to minotaurs) then your wounds in effect represent like 3 normal infantry. so for every 3 ogres you have a total number of 9 wounds, this as a rank is over 5 so rank bonus YAY:)

once two ogres are gone only one ogre left in that rank with a unit strength of 3 :( no Rank bonus.

to lederna - look up unit strength, its close to the begining of the fantasy rule book. should give a break down of models on foot, cavalry, large ogre sized models, and monsters. then check out the ranks rules. hopefully if my memory has served me right then looking at these two sections you should see how the ogres work when it comes to ranks.

Fizyx
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately, even for 40mm based models, you need a rank 5 models wide in order to get the rank bonus. When you are calculating unit strength for outnumbering each model counts as unit strength 3, but for the purposes of counting ranks you count models (to include cavalry, ogres, trolls, anything.)

Page 38 of the rulebook.

addamsfamily36
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Ah someone with the rulebook to hand. cheers fizyx.

there you go lednera problem solved :)

lobster-overlord
04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Its one of the main requests for a new ogre book, to put them at 3 for the rank bonus. It's just so hard to run a unit of 10 or more ogres, even with characters jumping in.

John M>

gcsmith
04-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Um tbh Ogres dnt need ranks, infact its one of the only way to beat ogres in combat :p Still if you think thats hard imagine wat a bret army would be without lance.