PDA

View Full Version : IG 'Ard Boyz list

Dionysus
04-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Ok so this is the 'Ard Boyz list I've been working on. There are some a few issues with it which i will go over at the end. For right now it seems pretty solid. I'm looking for you all to poke holes in it and possibly help me iron it out after the hole pokage.

Inquisitor Lord: 3x mystics, Hood, Bolter, Targeter. 85 pts

CCS: Officer of the Fleet, Medic, 3x plasma, plasma pistol. 220 pts
Chimera: Hull Heavy Flamer

PBS: 9 psykers. 165 pts

Vets: 3x Melta. 155 pts

Vets: 3x Melta. 155 pts

Vets: 3x Plasma. 170 pts

Vets: 3x Melta. 100 pts
Valkyrie: Rocket Pods. 130

Vets: 3x Melta. 100 pts
Valkyrie: Rocket Pods. 130

Bane Wolf: Smoke, Hull Heavy Flamer. 135 pts

Manticore: 160 pts

2x Demolisher: 330 pts

2x Executioner: Plasma Sponsons. 460 pts

Total= 2495 pts, 13 pieces of armour, 19 kill points

Ok here are the issues I have.

First off its a heck of alot of kill points, but there isn't a whole lot I can do about that.

Secondly, I originally intended to buy a chimera for the inquisitor, unfortunately I ran out of points (original plan was to buy one for one of the melta vets that will be mounted in a valk and give it to the inquisitor) I need to find a fix for that.

I don't have many scoring units, and the ones i do have are driving headlong into enemy lines. Before i added the plasma vets i was trying to get in a platoon, but i don't want anyone not to have a chimera, once again I ran out of points so settled for the plasma vets. My thought with them is to hold them back for home objectives, or even place them in reserve.

I wanted to run 4 Russes and be able to really cause some damage. The plan is to send the demolisher's forward a bit with the chimeras, having the executioners sit back and shoot. I really like running all that AV14, and the ability to have essentially 2 rounds of smoke rocks. Downsides are glancing hits can now kill um and 10 plasma cannon shots at one target seems like overkill. Why can't we have target locks!

Basic theme of this list is, tanks kill guys, guys kill tanks. My only real fear is squadrons of vanquishers. anyways Let me know what you think and please any advice would be much welcome.

Dionysus
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
anyone out there?

blackarmchair
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

I played Imperial Guard for about 18 months so I feel I'm semi-qualified to weigh in here. As an IG player there's virtually nothing you can do about kill points, it's a crap-chute but every book has its weaknesses. You're list seems rock sold, I love me some melta vets - only thing I might advise with them is possibly the "demolitions" doctrine. That ordnance is always unexpected and truly rocks some SM's world.

As per the the Inquisitor don't sweat it, just keep him directly behind some Russes and out of LoS. If someone is dedicated enough to try to kill him that means they're ignoring the 15 template weapons you're laying down each turn - ouch.

Other than that you seem to have assembled a successful leafblower IG list - good luck.

(Also, I'm having some trouble getting some C&C on the list I posted the other day...check it out please?)

Sinistermind
04-19-2010, 01:47 AM
i like the list alot and im glad to see im not the only one who uses russ' anymore.....as for the 10 plasma cannons being overkill, youll find otherwise if you happen to be shooting at a open storm shield termy unit...plus 10 plasma cannon shots is just saying YOU NEED TO DIE

blackarmchair
04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Tru dat. IG is an army of redundancy and excess.

Do it, do it right, do it until it's dead...then do it again.

Dionysus
05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Ok so i have been working on my 'ard boyz list. Initially i was running alot of vet squads with melta in chimeras and valks. After much game play I have found that the melta chimeras don't do much all game and the ones in the valks are kinda hit or miss, then they die (as expected). So with that in mind I started trying to figure out how i could make this list better.

Step One: Drop my Inquisitor with mystics. His hood was great, but in 7 games the mystics only got to act twice and both attempts the 4d6 came up short. Yes it was a great deterrent but it ultimately ended up just making people deep strike away from him, laughing the whole time. I think the missing hood will hurt a bit, but the extra 85 pts will help the rest of my list.

Step Two: Turn all of my vets into regular guardsmen. This saved me enough points to add a third russ and another scoring unit in a chimera, putting me up to 15 pieces of armour, 6 scoring units.

So I wasn't sure what to make my new found russ, but this is what i came up with.

CCS - 220 pts
3x plasma, medic, Master of the Fleet, plas pistol for the boss
Chimera with hull flamer

PBS - 165 pts
9x psykers, overseer
Chimera with hull flamer

Platoon - 280 pts
PCS: 4x melta, rides in valk
Squad 1: Chimera with hull flamer
Squad 2: Chimera with hull flamer

Platoon - 280 pts
Squad 3: Chimera with hull flamer
Squad 4: Chimera with hull flamer

Bane wolf - 135 pts
Hull flamer, smoke

Valkyrie - 130 pts
Pods

Valkyrie - 130 pts
Pods

Manticore - 160 pts

LR Demolisher squadron - 495 pts
3x Demolishers

LR Executioner squadron - 460 pts
2x Executioners, plasma sponsons

2455 pts 19 kill points 15 pieces of armour

This list is by no means ready for combat, that third demolisher doesn't have to be a demolisher, the infantry squads have no special or heavy weapons and i have 45 pts left. Im curious to know what you all think of the list, and what you would do to flesh it out.

I can say one thing though, Ive asked for feedback on my older list, and the one thing everyone always says is "drop the executioners they are too expensive." To that I say, they have been amazing in game. With the blast template's propensity to scatter, having 10 shots is amazing. Every game they have made their points back (except one where a darn land raider wouldn't die.... Russes don't like thunder hammers for some strange reason.)

Sinistermind
05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I would NOT drop them either, i love them! upon looking at the released scenarios for ard boyz, IG are pretty much screwed for the last mission!!! and being a nid player i benefit tremendously, everything that can move over 6" in a single pphase is 3KP!!! aka all tanks, of course thats only one mission out of 3 but its gunna hurt big time... but theres not really much that can be done for certain armies....

I know they dont always help but the inq can really come in handy, especiallyy the hood!!!
bit light on ranged anti vehicle, vendettas would help
other than that i like it

kellyj
05-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Careful on putting the Platoon Command Squad in the Valks. If I understand the setup correctly you can't hold a portion of a platoon in reserve. The entire platoon gets fielded or gets in reserve AND they have to be rolled for as a single unit...meaning they can't jump in the Valks until both PCS and Valks are on the table. Makes it hard to do the outflanking Valk-rush to claim the objective if you got no troops in the hold. Plus you lose your PCS Orders. A blob of 3 IG squads doing 1st rank-2nd rank can kill an entire termie squad. 60-90 BS3/S3 shots wil still do alot of wounds.
BTW...If i'm hosed up on the rule interpretation, let me know so I can play my IG correctly.

I think your also short troops for mission 2. You have to have MORE scoring units in the corner than your opponent to claim it. Granted its battlepoints...but those extra points can be the difference between placing top 3 or coming in 5th.

Dionysus
05-12-2010, 01:33 AM
IG.96A.01 -- Q: Can individual units from a Platoon be held in Reserve while others are deployed normally?
A: Yes, and all units from that Platoon that are held in Reserve are rolled for together to see when they arrive [clarification].

IG.96A.02 -- Q: If a Valkyrie/Vendetta Squadron is held in Reserve carrying units from DIFFERENT Platoons (who are also in Reserve), how are Reserves rolls handled for this situation?
A: A separate Reserves roll is made for each Platoon in reserve. Valkyrie/Vendetta Squadrons transporting units from the Platoon are included in this roll, but ONLY if the Squadron is transporting units from one (and only one) Platoon. If any Valkyries/Vendettas in the Squadron are transporting units that aren't part of the same Platoon, then the Squadron (along with all its passengers) must make a separate Reserves roll and may therefore end up arriving on a different turn from the rest of their Platoon(s)

This is from the inatfaq, the one used for adepticon. Though i know Just because its adepticon rulings doesn't make it official. But you'll find that (depending on your area) most tourney organizers go by these rulings. Heck even the Chicago battle bunker uses this faq for the final round of 'ard boyz.

Ive been tweaking around this list, and here is what i played with tonight.

CCS
3x plasma, medic, Master of the Fleet, plas pistol for the boss
Chimera with hull flamer

Elite Inquisitor: Heirophant, 2x mystic

Marbo

Platoon
Squad 1: autocannon, grenade launcher. Chimera with hull flamer
Squad 2: autocannon, grenade launcher. Chimera with hull flamer

Melta vets x2: Chimera, Hull heavy flamer

Plasma vets: Chimera Hull heavy flamer

Melta vets: ride in valk

Bane wolf
Hull multi melta, smoke

Valkyrie
Pods

Valkyrie
Pods

Manticore

LR Demolisher squadron
2x Demolishers 2x las cannons

LR squadron
2x LRBT, 2x las cannons

It played well, but we rolled scenario # 3 and with 45 kill points to give away it was rough. I played orcs and once again the inquisitor wasn't needed. I lost 2 russ's to immobilized results, one due to rough terrain. My volume of fire was awesome, but i had bad dice, and while i ended up almost killing the majority of his army. I couldn't quite finish off the squads. He was running 4 battle wagons with nobs and boys in them, 3 trukks with boys in them, 2 loota squads on foot, and stink rot. He had a kustom force field generator that gave all his vehicles a 4+ cover, and made almost all of them.

Marbo made the first big kill, blowing up a wagon then killing 6 boys. So that was a good trade, 3 pts for 1. Massed tank fire killed another wagon. And me swarming stink rot with 2 guard squads in cc killed him off. Other than that I weapon destroyed all his wagons, took his 20 man nob squad with boss down to 2 guys, one loota squad had 2 guys left and one had 5. and several boys squads were hurt but still kicking.

In the end i gave up 22 kill points and only got 7 back in return. It sucked, but with better dice, and my opponent not making EVERY frickin cover save, i would have done allot better.

I may change the list up yet again, but im curious as to what you all see here. Ill post the refined list tomorrow, but please give some feed back on this one until then. Thanks.

Sinistermind
05-12-2010, 03:02 AM
yup as i suspected with scenario 3, not much can be done with IG besides trying to play it smart...and of course dice cooperation : ) ..... I like this setup better than last, except the lack of executioner ; p
i still think for ard' boyz inq. is the way to go, i know everytime i see a mech army with no psyker defence i grin at my zoanthropes and DoM... but hey if your know your area well enough for preliminarys that you think you wont need psyker defense than go for it

squadrons with russ' is very hit or miss, they allow an more expensive tank to be taken out by a lucky glance and even a not so lucky penetrate roll..

Dionysus
05-12-2010, 03:12 AM
There will be 2 nids armys 2 space wolves and atleast 2 blood angels there. I think the hood is needed, it just sucks that its wasted points if I'm not playing those 6 people