PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED: WFB 8th in July

Bigred
04-16-2010, 11:27 PM
From an upcoming White Dwarf.

It looks like the winds of change are coming folks... finally!

RocketRollRebel
04-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Shazam! I was starting to have my doubts too.

Side note. Beer. Basilisk. Improper use of an exacto knife=ouch :o

eldargal
04-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Huzzah! God, I hope they get this edition right, I haven't enjoyed playing WFB in years.

Kieranator K82
04-17-2010, 04:25 AM
Interesting. 'The winds of change.' COULD possibly be some Tzeentch thing, but I hope not. I'd far prefer 8th Ed.

eldargal
04-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Two page spread has "Warhammer - July" written on it. It seems a fairly explicit teaser.

Interesting. 'The winds of change.' COULD possibly be some Tzeentch thing, but I hope not. I'd far prefer 8th Ed.

Hasagwan
04-17-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm excited. There's already buzz about what type of intro to do for the new fantasy box.

Gooball
04-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Wait what? .. is there something i'm missing?.. some picture or something...
Also, i hope O+G /Tk (Espiecally TK) get better magix.. right now i get steamrolled by vampires lizards skaven high elves... pretty much anything with decent magic

joescalise
04-17-2010, 11:14 PM
does any one know the armies that will be in the box. I heard a while back it is supposed to be High Elves and Skaven. Just hoping that is not true.

eldargal
04-18-2010, 01:17 AM
It has been confirmed* by all the reliable rumourmongers, but there are also rumours of a second start up box with different army choices. I'm hoping that is true. I have to admit at first Ithought the High Elves - Skaven idea was bizarre, but actually I think it is a brave choice. High Elves were in the 3rd edition box I think, but Skaven have never been in. It makes a refreshing change from greenskins.

*As far as rumours go, but they are unwaverering in their certainty on this one.

does any one know the armies that will be in the box. I heard a while back it is supposed to be High Elves and Skaven. Just hoping that is not true.

Bigred
04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Here is a flyer handed out at Games-Day France.

It looks like July 10th is the date:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/S8tJ9QC3PRI/AAAAAAAAHvI/9j3F_nWrLLQ/s1600/WFB-8th-cover-date.jpg

Acherontius
04-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Just got the newsletter Email from GW, is definitely confirmed for July.

Acherontius
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
For anyone who doesn't get the newsletter:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/picqua/WH_OC_ENG.jpg
The Warhammer world is a place riven by relentless warfare and the corrupting power of dark magic. It’s a place where vile creatures and titanic monsters roam the lands, where vast armies of evil warriors unleash slaughter upon their victims and only the unceasing valour of the forces of Order prevent the whole world slipping away into chaos and death.

Amidst this tapestry of conflict and carnage are races fair and foul, warriors chivalrous and brutal. These are the combatants who fight for dominance of the world. From the blasted north come warmongering tribes of Chaos Warriors, armour-clad barbarians who have thrown their lot in with the Dark Gods of Chaos. In the Badlands gather the greenskinned marauders known as the Orcs and Goblins, vicious, brutal creatures whose insatiable lust for war grows almost as quickly as their vast numbers. Beneath the cities of the civilised realms nestle the repulsive ratmen, subhuman creatures whose machinations spread disease and distrust – these are the Skaven and they wish only to destroy and dominate all others. Even the forests of the Old World are not safe, for the trees themselves are things of malign presence and the Beastmen dwell within, the children of Chaos – braying beasts who crave slaughter and the chance to enact their savagery on the civilised races.

The Warhammer world is a place where you must bury your dead deeply, for Necromancers and Vampires raise the legions of undeath in their war against the living. Far away in the south the legendary kings of a long-dead kingdom now awaken, leaving their vast tomb cities to wage war upon all under the sun, their skeletal legions a chilling parody of their once glittering majesty.

All these examples of horror are enough to cause weaker hearts to quail, but there are those who resist the darkness, kingdoms and realms that fight for survival. The Empire, greatest of all the nations of Men musters regiments of brave soldiers. Armed with faith in Sigmar, their warrior god, and with tempered steel and black powder weapons they defend their lands. South and east of the Empire lies Bretonnia, a land of chivalry and noble tradition. There, bold knights harken the call of their mighty king and ride out to crusade against the monsters of the Old World. Dwarfs, in their mountain strongholds, are as unyielding as the stone around them as they battle above and below the ground. Loyal allies, but terrible enemies, the Dwarfs are brave-hearted and steadfast as they protect their once-great realm.

In far-off lands the Elves fight out their bitter blood feud against one another – a mighty civilisation that spanned the continents but is now riven with strife and betrayal. Perhaps the greatest warriors in all the world, their numbers are now few and too many of those that remain are lost each day in the unending war between Ulthuan and Naggaroth.

This is a world where victory and death rest upon a knife-edge and the fate of the world, be it damnation or salvation, will soon be decided.

Warhammer, the Game of Fantasy Battles will be released in July. The preparation for this date has been a time of great excitement here in the Studio as we have lavished detail, care and attention onto the rulebook and the fantastic Citadel miniatures range that it accompanies.

Now is the time to gather your regiments, paint your armies and prepare for a battle like never before. If you have a Warhammer army, dust it off and finish up those last few models. If you’ve always been tempted to collect a force there really has never been a better time to start! Warhammer is coming and it’s going to be great.

Kieranator K82
04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Well looks like I must eat my words...
omnomWINDSnomnomTZEENTCHnomnom

Now that theat's done, OORAH!

But I must ask, if the box set contains Skaven and High Elves, why does the cover show Empire in battle with Warriors of Chaos? If you'll kindly turn to the cover of your WH40k rulebook, assuming you have one, you will find that the art below the hammer is the same as that associated with the starter set: the Assault on Black Reach.

Is this some hint that we were wrong, or just some inconsistency on GW's part?

addamsfamily36
04-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Is this some hint that we were wrong, or just some inconsistency on GW's part?

Previous Rulebooks haven't always featured battling artwork on the front, i believe 6th edition was just a hammer and a textured background (i could be very wrong its been awhile since i saw a copy)

As for the two armies, the symbol of the empire is the twin comet and the hammer used by sigmar. so the connection between the hammer ( which has been on all recent covers for rulebooks) and the empire could be a reason for picturing the empire on the cover. the chaos? well they are the empires Yang. their nemisis. the force that all the good forces fight.

I don't think they represent any clue to a starter set contents, more a good vs evil image. like the darkside of the force vs the light lol :D

eldargal
04-18-2010, 07:58 PM
4k and WFB are two different systems with different methodologies, a cover art precedent in one doesn' translate to the other.
I have to admit I am still surprised GW went with HE and Skaven, so I wouldn't be surprised to find it wasn't true. But people like Harry and DPA amongst others have said that is what it is. No doubts about it.

Edit: For a bit of hilarity, yesterday someone on one ofthe other forums said something along hte lines of "I have it on good authority that there will be NO new WFB edition released this year, GW are leaving it till late 2011. Then within 12 hours of that the newletter confirming it goes out.

addamsfamily36
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
4k and WFB are two different systems with different methodologies, a cover art precedent in one doesn' translate to the other.
I have to admit I am still surprised GW went with HE and Skaven, so I wouldn't be surprised to find it wasn't true. But people like Harry and DPA amongst others have said that is what it is. No doubts about it.

I think Kieranator K82 was saying games workshop have in the past used this method of artwork reflecting contents across both the 40k and WFB systems, so could it be that the warhammer box set could contain these armies, based on that. And as much as the two systems have different methodologies, they do often share similar design and aesthetickal properties.

eldargal
04-20-2010, 05:06 AM
The new book is going to be 528 pages, according to a GD France announcement (I think). This is causing panic in the ranks of WFB fans who question their ability to lift it. No, I'm not joking.

Lord Azaghul
04-20-2010, 06:25 AM
The new book is going to be 528 pages, according to a GD France announcement (I think). This is causing panic in the ranks of WFB fans who question their ability to lift it. No, I'm not joking.

Waaahh?? Well that might fit another rumour/theory that I heard. Which was all the army would have 8th ed updated/entires IN the 8th ed core rule book

I still have yet to buy any of the 'big' books for either gaming system. The small ones (my main motivation for buying the starter set) are so much more handy! I do wish they'd sell those seperately.

MC Tic Tac
04-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Waaahh?? Well that might fit another rumour/theory that I heard. Which was all the army would have 8th ed updated/entires IN the 8th ed core rule book

I still have yet to buy any of the 'big' books for either gaming system. The small ones (my main motivation for buying the starter set) are so much more handy! I do wish they'd sell those seperately.

Well I just had a quick peek in my copy of the BRB and its 272 pages with about 18 pages of indexs etc.

So Nearly what, not quite double the size? But yowzers!

eldargal
04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Yep, and this is apparently official. I'm hoping for 8th ed army lists, as previously mentioned, but also a larger hobby and background section.

MC Tic Tac
04-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Yep, and this is apparently official. I'm hoping for 8th ed army lists, as previously mentioned, but also a larger hobby and background section.

As much as I would like to see a Ravening Hordes style reboot, if I was a Skaven, Dark Elf, or anyone of the 3 styles of Chaos player I would be very upset.

As a Orc and Gobbo player - Bring it on!