PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard Boyz! Blood Angels

Tynskel
04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Here we go again!
All Deep Strike Army. Have Dante Attach to one of the Assault Squad- do that cool thing where you land close and destroy something- preferable expensive.
Sanguinor is just cool.
Vanguard is that one trick wonder- Not many things will survive 36 Power Weapon attack and 3 Powerfist attacks. If a Sanguinary Priest is nearby- that's Str 5 I5, and if Sanguinor is near, add 9 more power weapon and 1 powerfist attack. There's a reason so many locator beacons are around.

Mortis Dreads are for popping transports and light armor- They'll do a decent job of that. Use the Drop Pods as cover, and get LOS on side armor.

Sterngaurd-- I might take those guys out- originally I planned to have Tycho and a Corbulo in that squad, but they might be points better spent in other places. However, they are sill rockin'.

Tell me what you think? What would you change? I purposely have 5 Drop Pods so that the three Mortis (or combo) can land far away and start rockin' the Autocannons. It is possible that the 135 points for those drop pods could be used elsewhere. Essentially, if you add the drop pods, and the 2 drop pod squads, it comes out to 625 points- I could replace that with two Furioso Libbies (obviously, with Blood Lance) and a third drop pod squad-- allow both Libbies to start on the board at turn one, and have three Mortis Dreads--- 5 dreads... but that might be a bit rich.

HQ 500
225 Dante
Commander
275 Sanguinor
The Exemplar

Hv SUPPORT 495
165 Mortis Dreadnought
Dread, 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod with Locator Beacon
165 Mortis Dreadnought
165 Mortis Dreadnought

FAST ATTACK 460
460 Vanguard Veterans Squad
10 Marines, Jump Packs, Sgt with Powerfist, 9 Power Weapons

ELITES 420
240 Sternguard Veteran Squad
7 Marines, 4 Combi-Meltas
180 Sanguinary Priesthood
Corbulo, Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack

TROOPS 625
240 Assault Squad
10 Marines, 2 Meltaguns, Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol
240 Assault Squad
145 Assault Squad
5 Marines, 2 Hand Flamers, Power Weapon

04-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Personally, I'm still not convinced that Vanguard are all that great, outside of using Heroic Intervention. So, to me, it really matters on what you do with those drop pods. Pull them too far back from your opponent's deployment zone and the loc beacons won't help the vanguard. Put them too close and they become pretty significant targets, with what you're holding in reserves. Corbulo could help out, though, if you get a poor scatter, while away from the loc beacons.

The mortis dreads will be pretty terrifying, especially against massed Razorback las/plas vehicles. However, a part of me really likes the idea of two libby dreads with blood lance drop podding to the flanks of all those chimeras nicely lined up and just sending a lance down either flank. Of course, this brings up other issues (primarily psychic hoods/shadows of the warp), so they're arguably more situational. Plus, with mortis dreads having such long-range, they can handle being deployed on the field.

Otherwise, I like this approach for an 'Ard boyz list a lot more than 6 Land Raiders with scoring units inside each of them (which, you'll probably end up facing. Thanks BoLS! :P).

Tynskel
04-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I personally think the land raider idea has diminishing returns. One or two Land Raiders are a great addition to an army, but, beyond that, one does not have enough other equipment to take on a well balanced force.

Here are some adjustments:

HQ 500
225 Dante
Commander
275 Sanguinor
The Exemplar

Hv SUPPORT 485
165 Mortis Dreadnought
165 Mortis Dreadnought
155 Mortis Dreadnought
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK 460
460 Vanguard Veterans Squad
10 Marines, Jump Packs, Sgt with Powerfist, 9 Power Weapons

ELITES 430
250 Furioso
Dread, Librarian Upgrade, Frag Launcher, Magna Grapple, Extra Armor, Blood Lance, Might of Heros
180 Sanguinary Priesthood
Corbulo, Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack

TROOPS 625
240 Assault Squad
240 Assault Squad
145 Assault Squad
5 Marines, 2 Hand Flamers, Power Weapon

Yhcrana
04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Personally I think the 9 power weapons on the vanguard are overkill, you could drop 5 and still have a squad that can take down anything it wants and then you have some more points to spend on other nice things

Sinistermind
04-19-2010, 01:35 AM
ive played a couple games against BA's with my nids ard boyz list and i like yours alot, only thing i can see that isnt there that i would put in is a dread with those blood talons, one of my friends plays BA's and his once mowed a 30man ig blob off an objective in one turn, the everyone there watched on and laughed, it was like a crowded craps table in vegas lol he went like 3 rounds with all attacks then lost one went like 3 more lost another but finished the unit and was great

Tynskel
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM
The Vanguard Vets:
A lot about 'Ard Boyz is running the numbers--
9*4 (number of attacks)*1/2 (number of hits)*1/2(number of wounds)= Nine Dead Marines. Squads come in 10s, so there is a problem of someone attacking back--- the Powerfist. So I might switch the sgt. back to a power weapon (or Glaive for the re-roll). That means the squad should statistically wipe a Marine squad off the map---
with furious charge: only 9 power weapons are needed. However, this requires many more things lining up.
If I were to get rid of half of the power weapons (freeing up 75 points), I would have to consider my target and be satisfied with two things-- 1) not wiping the enemy out by the end of my opponents assault phase, and 2) the damage that the enemy squad can physically do back. This is an expensive squad, I do not want it getting killed in protracted assaults. I especially do not want this squad to be still engaged on the turn after it deep strikes-- it needs to move to the next target. Something that is worrisome is fighting orks-- unless the squad is small due to transports, a 30 ork squad is dangerous-- would have to dedicated firepower to thinning the numbers.

I think putting in a Blood Taloned Dreadnought is a good idea. What would you suggest cutting out?

I am thinking Sanguinor may be a good choice-- He's awesome--- reallly awesome-- but I don't know if I would get rid of Dante for Sanguinor.

275 points:
195 Furioso
Dreadnought, Blood Talons, Hv Flamer, Extra Armor
60 Land Speeder
2 Hv Bolters
Upgrade sgt power weapon to a powerfist in the 2 assault squads (20 points)

That's an idea.

lobster-overlord
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I had good sucess with the Dread with Blood Talons. But there is a benefit to taking just the Blood Claws, as you don't get the strength boost on the Talons that you do on the claws (talons=lightning claws, blood claws = dccw).

What does "mortis" reference with the dreads? I didn't see that in the book.

Tynskel
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I had good sucess with the Dread with Blood Talons. But there is a benefit to taking just the Blood Claws, as you don't get the strength boost on the Talons that you do on the claws (talons=lightning claws, blood claws = dccw).

What does "mortis" reference with the dreads? I didn't see that in the book.

Mortis Dreadnought is a reference to the Imperial Armour II: Space Marines and Inquisition.

It is the shorthand name for a special variant of dread.
This was the first time a dreadnought could take 2 of the same weapons on one dreadnought. This was a Dark Angels only variant.

Unfortunately, the Dark Angels got SHAFTED, and did not get their special variant Dread that NO ONE ELSE had, and every new codex since DOES get the Mortis.

As for Blood Claws, I have thought about it- Str 10 is great for vehicle munching--but str 6 with 4 attacks on the charge (and a meltagun) has a pretty decent chance of busting up armor. Realistically, I want the melta to pop the transport, and the blood talons to destroy what was inside.

Yhcrana
04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
By taking your 9 power weapons and wiping out the 10 marines in your turn, it leaves you vulnerable to being shot at by the rest of your opponents army.

As you said this is an expensive squad and by wiping out the opponents swuad you are just asking to be shot at by a vindicator or charged by the squad of th/ss termies in his land raider.

You want to wipe out a squad in your opponents turn so in your turn you can charge a new target.

Yes, you make take some casualties in return from combat but it will be less than you take from being shot.

That is my view on things, but that is how i plan my combats.

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
That really depends-- if you are getting furious charge, you are also getting FNP.

Not wiping your opponent out in the first round of combat allows your opponent to counter charge, and now you are facing a combined force of the leftovers and a new squad--- this means you are fighting on your opponent's terms.

Wiping out your opponent allows you to consolidate and get into cover- you want your opponent to shoot at them-- if they are locked in combat, your opponent is shooting everything else at the rest of your army, and getting to counter-charge the assault squad.

By wiping out your opponent, you will probably get cover saves and FNP (for the non-AP2/Instant death weapons).

Personally, I'd almost always want to be shot at rather than counter charged while locked in combat. Most armies can be quite effective in close combat-- especially at combined arms. Guard, on the other hand, is the opposite- but even if you had half the power weapons, you are probably wiping out a guard squad, anyhow.

Also, if you don't aim for wiping out your opponent in CC on the charge, you can wiff and end up being locked up into your next movement phase--- now your expensive unit is stuck fighting the same squad for 2 rounds--- very very bad.