PDA

View Full Version : New class 9 Tau suits and ork stompas stuff from Forgeworld

Madness
04-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Apparently Tau are getting supersized in resin only.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff

Enjoy.

fuzzbuket
04-17-2010, 06:16 AM
there goes anoter £100 :P

lordbubonicus
04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
I'll be honest, I've always had a soft spot for the Tau, particularly the battlesuits, and the forgeworld stuff has always made me drool a little. It's always gorgeous, and suits the idea of the Tau to a tee. Armies with well thought out themes are where FW excels imho.

This new XV-9 line just makes we want to drop the cash on a battlesuit army even more. I know that it wouldn't be competitive, or even viable, but man would it look awesome.

I'm afraid that if I start, I won't be able to stop though. There's so much other shiny stuff on the FW site that really makes me want to start a new army. The Elysians for example. Again, shame about the price. My wallet would hate me. Le sigh.

rbgm01
04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
They look awesome but were are the rules for them?. Witht hese aditions is this means that they are going to be a new Tau Codex soon?
But im defenitly going to purchase a Suits army just for the fun of it

Lerra
04-17-2010, 01:43 PM
The rules for the XV9 are in the new Imperial Armour Apocalypse 2 book.

gcsmith
04-17-2010, 01:45 PM
IA apocalypse 2 has the rules, Also Battlesuit armies are the most competative of the tau armies.

person person
04-17-2010, 03:34 PM
The new suits look beautiful, like Lordbubonicus FW and theme are hand in hand!

DarkLink
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the rules. Cool new weapons, don't get me wrong. But too expensive. ~80-90pts for a basic suit is way too much. And since when did suits have to spend 10 pts to buy a drone controller, before they even buy any drones? It's free in the actual codex. What the heck, forgeworld?

gcsmith
04-18-2010, 10:39 AM
since when do suits come with wargear as standard?

DarkLink
04-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Since FW started making them, apparently.

I know I'd much rather drop the vectored thrusters and have the upgrade option. Making them standard is too expensive.

Uncle Nutsy
04-18-2010, 01:00 PM
yeah it's a bit of a mixed bag with these new suits. the ability to hit and run, regroup and the ability to carry some weapons that are almost as awesome as the hammerhead's railgun are all offset by the points cost, the copied-and-pasted stats and the fact that they have to be assaulted before they can use their thrusters.

DarkLink
04-18-2010, 04:22 PM
yeah it's a bit of a mixed bag with these new suits. the ability to hit and run, regroup and the ability to carry some weapons that are almost as awesome as the hammerhead's railgun are all offset by the points cost, the copied-and-pasted stats and the fact that they have to be assaulted before they can use their thrusters.

And with only three 2 wound models in a unit, getting hit with most dedicated assault units means that you won't have any models left to hit and run with, making the thrusters even more situational. The only things I can think of is protecting the suits from "tie up" units like scarabs, or for catapulting across the board for some reason by assaulting other units that are weak in CC.

Uncle Nutsy
04-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Finally got a chance to test out an XV9 with dual piggies in killteam versus Necrons, Demons and tyranids. yeah go multiplayer game.

I never got a chance to hit a single necron, even with 8 shots total. six ones and two twos. That's right, a disgusting amount of BOTCH.

So I turboboosted it to a piece of cover that I hoped would work out. nope. stupid crons were able to get it into CC somehow. the XV9 and a necron warrior bonked each other on the head for two turns straight. Defensive grenades are a joke against anything with more than two attacks. The VRT's? yeah with I3, they really didn't help out much as I figured. The only time they worked was about three turns after getting locked into CC.

The suit almost died before the thrusters kicked in. these suits NEED and I mean NEED Initiative 4. i can't stress that enough. they are the most expensive piece of armor we have aside from our tanks and they aren't mobile enough. Even with a barebones loadout, they lack enough mobility required to protect that cost. If I built this suit, i'd leave the VRT's at home, add in a target lock and the ability to choose from the armoury in addition to the good guns.

DarkLink
04-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Totally not surprised that's how the game went with them. They're little better than standard suits, but can be twice as expensive.

Uncle Nutsy
06-02-2010, 01:29 AM
okay. I tried them again in a second killteam game.

They can take a knarloc down in almost one salvo of shooting, but that relies on you having good luck with the dice and the opponent having bad luck. if he makes the save and then makes a rending roll in one turn, the suit probably won't last til next turn.

VRT's worked, but like before you need good luck. and if he's spread out all over the place, the VRT's become a liability.

I mistakenly remembered the saving stat as 2+ and ran with it. It's funny. that 2+ is what made the suit worth taking in otherwise both suits would have been pulped to bits.

A lot of non-tau and former tau players look at the stats and go 'toughness 5, that's huge!'. no. it's not. the only thing that can ID you is anything str 10, such as a deathstrike missile or an exorcist salvo. and they can't really be beat on by low strength troops. If i were an opposing player, I'd target the XV9's with terminators and watch the terminators tear right through them.

and those defensive grenades? c'mon there is a reason why people don't take them.

If GW is looking at this thread (although I doubt they are), here's what they need: sv 2+, BS4 and a much more reasonable points cost for a standard loadout. Let's face it. A decently equipped hammerhead costs about the same and can do a whole lot more.

Until a new codex comes out, i'm going to shelve the XV9. The stats and rules just don't back up the fluff. I'll instead play orks or blood angels.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-02-2010, 03:51 AM
What about that new character Suit, is he any good? What about the other two suits with the cool guns?

And also how does Shas'O R'myr fair in Killteam? Or in games in general?

Uncle Nutsy
06-03-2010, 12:20 AM
What about that new character Suit, is he any good? What about the other two suits with the cool guns?

And also how does Shas'O R'myr fare in Killteam? Or in games in general?

you mean R'alai? There's no rules out for him yet.

and as for r'myr? he can't go into Killteam. he's an HQ choice.

but R'myr in a regular game, he's pretty good. he can take on an MC creature almost by himself and win. but he needs backup in order to survive.

i think the biggest thing that's got me tweaked about these xv9's is they had SO much potential. they could have been the key to a frontal assault with massive firepower with ultramarine aim and it's just not there. Same BS skill as a guardsman, and one point tougher than a regular crisis does not coincide with "crisis battlesuit combat veterans and survivors of deadly battles". If they did survive, it's due to sheer LUCK.

Tynskel
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the rules. Cool new weapons, don't get me wrong. But too expensive. ~80-90pts for a basic suit is way too much. And since when did suits have to spend 10 pts to buy a drone controller, before they even buy any drones? It's free in the actual codex. What the heck, forgeworld?

The special rules for the suits make Drones really worth while taking--- being able to auto pass a Hit n' Run check is pretty amazing--- especially since the unit cannot consolidate either. If you time it right, the squad is clumped together, perfect for tau blast weapons and flamers.

Lerra
06-03-2010, 03:20 PM
XV-9s, in my experience, are great with the large blast template. The other weapons aren't worth the cost, imo, but that template is gold.

Uncle Nutsy
06-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I can see the XV9's being useful in high point games against IG but that's about it. Against necrons and other armies that have units that can fleet, they'll get overrun in a hurry.

they need a better armor save, better initiative and SPEED.

Render Noir
06-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Better speed, initiative AND 2+ armor? Tall order

It sounds like the XV9's were trying too hard to be everything to everyone and came up short.

Would love to see a Stealth Suit sized suit that is cheap and counts as a Troop choice

Uncle Nutsy
06-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Better speed, initiative AND 2+ armor? Tall order

It sounds like the XV9's were trying too hard to be everything to everyone and came up short.

Would love to see a Stealth Suit sized suit that is cheap and counts as a Troop choice

yeah. one inch further movement during move and assault, one point initiative to make sure the bleedin VRT's work more, and a better armor save to shrug off the mass amounts of fire they inevitably receive.