PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms and Dogs of War

Lednera
04-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi guys got another question I know tat not many books have the dogs of war rules anymore but since Ogres still do and I found the Regiments of Renown PDF floating around I was wondering how can I uses Regiments of Renown/Dogs of War with my Ogres army? Are there any specific rules that I have to keep in mind and do I have options for other units other then the PDF or should I look for a long out of print book?

Lord Azaghul
04-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Read the OK rules and the DoW rules. You can take OK as a DOW slot is almost any army, even DOW, but you can't really take DOW for any Orge slot, beyond what the rules for DOW allow you to take!

However, I won't mess too much with DOW (as an army) I do think GW has no intention of reviving them, and 8th ed should really be killing them off.

And I'm sure you've noticed, but they have also been removing DoW as a rare choice from every army book since 2008.

Their legality is currently in question.

Faultie
04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
And I'm sure you've noticed, but they have also been removing DoW as a rare choice from every army book since 2008.

Their legality is currently in question.
Although the DoW Rare option isn't in some newer books, there isn't a requirement for it to be in there. The DoW rules specify which armies can take what, noting that "in general" they are included in the lists as a Rare choice, but it isn't necessary for them to be. If someone doesn't mind you using DoW (most people shouldn't, but many tourneys disallow them), then it doesn't really matter if it's in the army book or not because it's in the DoW list along with the restrictions. It's the same principle as =I= allies in 40k (they're not in the SM book, but don't need to be because the =I= list says how you field them).

That said, many of the units are quite dated, and 8th should only make things worse. The same applies for Allied Contingents.

Lednera
04-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Ok, let me see if I can understand this correctly.

The short answer is yes I can use DOW with my OK if it is a friendly game but since 8th edition is around the corner the outdated fashion of it makes them not a good choice to play and since all new army books are removing the DOW section on the rare choices then I should consider it not a good idea?

Lord Azaghul
04-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Ok, let me see if I can understand this correctly.

The short answer is yes I can use DOW with my OK if it is a friendly game but since 8th edition is around the corner the outdated fashion of it makes them not a good choice to play and since all new army books are removing the DOW section on the rare choices then I should consider it not a good idea?

That's about the short of it.

I think there has been conflicting responses from GW personell some claim DOW aren't valid if you're AB doesn't have a selection. others sayiing the DoW PDF takes precedent.

Faultie pretty much hit it dead on: the DoW units are really outdated. In 7th they are very overcosted, and 8th ed may completely invalidate them.
My personally opinion is you're better off spending your money on something else.

BTW - I just got rid of my DoW army for much the same reason.

Boondaba
06-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Many are outdated, but pikemen NEVER go out of style.

Kieranator K82
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Actually, they've been killing off DoW ever since 7th came out. The Empire book, the first to come out I think, contained no DoW option.

Grabnutz
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
If you want to include DoW with your Ogre Kingdoms army then just do it, and enjoy playing the game with your friends. This is, after all, why we play.

Tournament and Codex 'legality' is a nonsense invented by GW to try and keep you buying figures.

Gooball
06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
The other day i played a four thousand game with a friend against another person using 2 different armies. Sure as hell wasn't legal but was fun