PDA

View Full Version : Best Ork Anti-Armor tatics?

malikjack
03-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I am a new aspiring Ork player. I have been doing my reading and most Ork anti-armor strategies seem to be centered around getting a Nob into close combat with a power claw. Though effective on smaller scales with units like Imperial Knights with their 6 hull points. I am wondering if Orks have a better strategy to take on these types of threats.

There is the Deffcopta's with twin-linked Rokkits.

There is the Tank busters that still require to get into CC.

There is the wrecking ball but that is 3 inch range

There are Loota Wagons with 3 Rokkits

There is (FW) items that I am open too.

Any help to help me figure this out would be appreciative.

Mikhail233
03-02-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm not an Ork player but a person at my club has been playing Orks for just over 10 years now, they usually go with 2 big loota blobs, the sheer amount of S7 they put out is enough to glance to death any tank that isn't a Leman russ from the front or a Land raider, As for taking out armour 14 the only thing I can think of other than a power klaw is probably the Blitza Bomma's bomb but that has limited uses

Subexarch
03-02-2016, 04:13 PM
This is actually one of the Orks biggest issues right now. (Nids as well) They have no reliable ranged Str:8-9 weapons. Taking on super heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures is seriously tough for them. So most ork players fall back on the old "rush 'em 'n' crush'em" tactic of piling power claws on it till it dies. I've seen mobs of power claw armed nobs do dirty, dirty things.....(shudders)

Drew da Destroya
03-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Lootas are almost always one of our best choices here. 15 strong, hope to roll 2 or 3 shots each, that'll kill most anything that isn't AV14. You've also left out Rokkit Buggies. They have outflank, they're dirt cheap, and 5 TL Rokkits into something's side armor is pretty solid.

The Warboss with a Power Klaw will throw just about any vehicle into the sun, but against Gargantuan Creatures/Walkers the Stomp can just erase him, so you probably need to shoot those to death.

Mek Gunz are also pretty great. Kannons are dirt cheap S8 AP3 (or a S4 ap5 blast, so they're versatile). You can also grab a couple Smasha-Gunz, which give you S4+D6 (5-10) and AP1, which is pretty nice.

Captain Bubonicus
03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Rokkits, Rokkits, Rokkits. With a ton of Rokkits, even with BS2 you'll still get some hits.

Djbz
03-03-2016, 12:33 AM
There is the Smasha gun and Zzap gun from the Mek gunz.
Problem with both is unreliable strength. (2d6 for Zzapp, 4+d6 for Smasha)
Both really cheap points wise, plus use the Grotz improved BS of 3

Though they are a convert or don't bother thing- their actual models are hilariously expensive for how many you'd want to reliably damage a vehicle.

Drew da Destroya
03-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Though they are a convert or don't bother thing- their actual models are hilariously expensive for how many you'd want to reliably damage a vehicle.

Oh Gork yeah. That kit is just absurdly expensive.

Path Walker
03-03-2016, 01:18 PM
This is actually one of the Orks biggest issues right now. (Nids as well) They have no reliable ranged Str:8-9 weapons. Taking on super heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures is seriously tough for them. So most ork players fall back on the old "rush 'em 'n' crush'em" tactic of piling power claws on it till it dies. I've seen mobs of power claw armed nobs do dirty, dirty things.....(shudders)

Its not an issue, its how the army works and has always worked, no army is supposed to reliably do everything.

grimmas
03-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Shouldn't it be Taktiks?

Gotta think like an Ork.

Scratch build those Big Gunz, biggest bonus of running an Ork army it's much easier to use all those extra bits lying around.

Path Walker
03-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Shouldn't it be Taktiks?

Gotta think like an Ork.

Scratch build those Big Gunz, biggest bonus of running an Ork army it's much easier to use all those extra bits lying around.

Kunnin and know-wots

malikjack
03-03-2016, 02:16 PM
What about (FW) options? I know the Ork Mega Dread. I know it can have several power claws. It has hull points. Has some options to go faster. Might be able to stand up to some armor. If it can survive getting across the field.

Andrew Thomas
03-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Looted Firestorm Redoubts, Vengeance Batteries, or Aquila Strongpoints can do it, especially since most of those can take Magos Mechanicum, er, "Grot Gunnas," e.g. can get BS 3, or drop Blast Templates. The Quad Icarus Lascannon ain't too shabby, nor is the Battle Cannon, if you have the points. Kannon Waggons and Rokkit Buggies are great at the job too, just have to get the optimum numbers.

grimmas
03-03-2016, 02:49 PM
If the opposition has Knights or super heavies how about a Stompa?

Insert_nickname_here
03-03-2016, 03:19 PM
What about (FW) options? I know the Ork Mega Dread. I know it can have several power claws. It has hull points. Has some options to go faster. Might be able to stand up to some armor. If it can survive getting across the field.

You get a Big Trakk with Supa Kannon (STR 9 AP3 large blast ordinance) for some long range fire power, I don't think it's particularly cost effective (never used it myself), but large high strength blasts are always useful.

Mr.Pickelz
03-04-2016, 08:33 AM
15x Lootas in a Big Squiggoth. The Squiggoth can hide in terrain and the Howda (where the lootas are) is open-topped. A 6 wound Monstrous Creature in cover, can save the lootas for a round or two while they pump out shots.

Edit: Ork Kannons are 36" range missile launchers that have the bonus of being Toughness 7 to shooting. their cheaper then the last book and you can take more per squad now i think.

Zzap Gunz are an upgrade you can toss on the Kannons, it makes them into a random strength (2d6, with bad effects if you roll an 11 or 12) Lascannon. Ap2 and 48" range

You could try and pray with a Weirdboy in a squad of Tank bustas for the deep-strike power.

Power Klaws, Power Klaws, and more Power Klaws...

There is also the prospect of kamikaze ramming of Trukkz and or Battlewagons.

If you're looking at Forgeworld, there is also the Lifta Droppa, while it is nerfed from it's IA:8 book version, it's still an anti-tank weapon.

Deffkoptas with rockets.... you will need lots of the flying buggers.

Warbuggies with Rockets, they're twinlinked and the buggy is fast.

Blitza-Bomber, he can die from an unsuccessful dive-bomb attempt though.

Komandos can sneak around and can get a Nob with a Power Klaw (I love the model that GW has for it)

Killa Kans with Rockets, their Grot Pilots so they have BS: 3.

Morkanought as the kustom mega blasta thingy, it's Str:8 AP:2

Battlewagons can come with KillKannon (Str:7 AP:4 Blast) and a Kannon along with 4 Rockets. Expensive, but it's a lot of dakka in one wagon.

Forgeworld has a Supa-Kannon upgrade for Battlewagons that gives it a Basilisk gun(Str:9 AP:3 I think), but it's direct fire only (no barrage).

Mega-Armoured Nobz in a Trukk racing towards their target. Just have like a squad of 3 in a Trukk and throw that thing at your opponent (not literally).

Stompa... Stompa Stomps things...That's pretty much it. Put a few or more Meks inside it to keep it repaired and it has a chance to survive.

One of the tricks you need to approach any game with is MSU style units Multiple Small Units, all to often "Death-Stars" will guarantee the kill on whatever they touch (shooting or melee) So give your opponent options and make her or him choose which target he doesn't want near him. Always take multiples. No one unit in the entire Ork faction (forgeworld included) can run around willy-nilly on the tabletop like Space Wolves or Eldar. You have to play attrition to win. Don't think in terms of large units like 30 strong Boyz mobz, but like 3 units of 10 boyz mobz. I like to think it's like the mentality of 5th ed. A Melta can kill a Land Raider with one shot, but it'll only kill 1 Ork Boy with the same shot. With the changes to the game and formations/allies/Mutli-CAD. You can have lots of units flooding the board, so things like Tau and Eldar are forced to rely on templates rather then just straight shooting. Yes, it's a lot of models; Yes, it's a lot of dead orks, but that's just how the faction seems to play (to me at least)in the current 40k era that we're in.

TLDR?
MSU and flood the board; Whatever unit you take, take it in multiples.

Captain Bubonicus
03-04-2016, 11:07 AM
But Mr. Pickelz - doesn't the Orky "Mob Rule" really screw ya over when you use small ten-man units?

Drew da Destroya
03-04-2016, 11:20 AM
But Mr. Pickelz - doesn't the Orky "Mob Rule" really screw ya over when you use small ten-man units?

It would if anyone was left alive to take a Mob Rule test, but a 10-boy squad is just gonna evaporate against whatever targets them. In one sense, it's actually a decent way around the mess that is Mob Rule... can't get hurt by it if they just killed the unit instead.

Captain Bubonicus
03-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Well, that's a darned good point.

Mr.Pickelz
03-04-2016, 11:42 AM
it may seem counter intuitive, but think smaller with Orks, not larger.

Drew da Destroya
03-04-2016, 03:11 PM
it may seem counter intuitive, but think smaller with Orks, not larger.

It seems super counter intuitive, and I'm gonna have to try it out next time I bring my boyz out.

malikjack
03-05-2016, 01:24 PM
So I have been list building with some of the ideas you have presented and this is what I have come up with. I like Zhadsnark and for now he is the warboss for me. I will reevaluate as needed but for now this is the direction I am headed. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

ORKS! Road Warrors! 1500 pts
total: 1498

Unit One
HQ: Zhadsnark 'Da Rippa', Warloard
HQ: Painboy /w bosspole, warbike, 3 grot orderlies, 1 Ammo Runt
Troops: 4 Warbikers

Unit Two
Troops: 6 Warbikers w/ Nob included, bosspole, power claw

Unit Three

Unit Four

Unit Five

Unit Six
Fast Attack: 5 Warbuggies w/ TL Rokkits

Unit Seven
Fast Attack: 5 Warbuggies w/ TL Rokkits

Unit Eight
Heavy Support: 12 Lootas

Unit Nine

Drew da Destroya
03-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Looks like a fun list, but you could save some points here and there.

On your Painboy, the Grot Orderly is a 0-1 choice, so you can't have 3, unfortunately. Also, the Ammo Runt is wasted, since the bike's guns are already Twin-Linked, so the Runt's reroll can't even be used.

On your biker squads, you only have 6 dudes, which means you need to get 2-3 on the Mob Rule test (or a 1 while in Combat). 4-6 is a failure, since you have less than 10 models. The first time you'll take a test, you'll be at 4 models. This is a longwinded way of saying that while the re-roll is probably helpful, you may want to just forget the Bosspoles instead, and put that 25 points into something else. You're kinda screwed once you take casualties anyway.

You've got 24 Lootas total... you can break them into 3 units of 8, which gives you more options as far as shooting goes, and makes it harder for your opponent to wipe them all out. You could probably do similar with the Buggies (units of 3, 3, and 4), which gives you more options as well.

If you strip the extra runts and the bosspoles, you could grab another buggy if you felt so inclined, or maybe another 1 or 2 bikers.

malikjack
03-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Looks like a fun list, but you could save some points here and there.

On your Painboy, the Grot Orderly is a 0-1 choice, so you can't have 3, unfortunately. Also, the Ammo Runt is wasted, since the bike's guns are already Twin-Linked, so the Runt's reroll can't even be used.

On your biker squads, you only have 6 dudes, which means you need to get 2-3 on the Mob Rule test (or a 1 while in Combat). 4-6 is a failure, since you have less than 10 models. The first time you'll take a test, you'll be at 4 models. This is a longwinded way of saying that while the re-roll is probably helpful, you may want to just forget the Bosspoles instead, and put that 25 points into something else. You're kinda screwed once you take casualties anyway.

You've got 24 Lootas total... you can break them into 3 units of 8, which gives you more options as far as shooting goes, and makes it harder for your opponent to wipe them all out. You could probably do similar with the Buggies (units of 3, 3, and 4), which gives you more options as well.

If you strip the extra runts and the bosspoles, you could grab another buggy if you felt so inclined, or maybe another 1 or 2 bikers.

Going with the changes you have suggested with the removals and redistribution the total points gained from the list is 70 points. Total 1430 pt. What would be the best use of these points?

Drew da Destroya
03-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Well, 2 more Rokkit Buggies would be 50 points, and give you 3 units of 4 buggies each, which is pretty mean. Then with the last 20 points, you use 18 of it to grab an extra Warbiker for the mob that'll be riding with your HQs.

Alternately, you could re-combine your Lootas into 2 squads of 12 and grab a small unit of 3 Mek Gunz with an Ammo Runt each. I'd probably go with Kannons, as they're more versatile, but Lobbas can hide since they're barrage weapons. With the last 7 points, you could pick up 2 extra grot krew for the gunz.

You could also do a 5-man Tankbusta squad, with 5 points leftover to do whatever you like with. Maybe a bomb squig? Maybe one bosspole on your HQ squad? The Bustaz would have to walk, of course, but they're small enough that they may be ignored (until they let loose and pop a Rhino or something). Also, they're small enough that if they do get targeted and killed, it's no big loss.

malikjack
03-09-2016, 11:29 AM
I was really feeling the Mek gun option you suggested. Added 2 Kannons and one Lobba with 3 ammo runts and 2 extra crew. The thought behind this selection was options with the kannons and then use the lobba to help soften up a target unit in cover. The list looks more like this now.

ORKS! Road Warrors! 1500 pts
total: 1499

Unit One
HQ: Zhadsnark 'Da Rippa', Warloard
HQ: Painboy /w Warbike
Troops: 4 Warbikers

Unit Two
Troops: 6 Warbikers w/ Nob included, power claw

Unit Three

Unit Four

Unit Five

Unit Six
Fast Attack: 3 Warbuggies w/ TL Rokkits

Unit Seven

Unit Eight

Unit Nine

Unit Ten

Unit Eleven
Heavy Support: 3 Mek Guns
-2 Kannon
-1 Lobba
3 Ammor Runts
2 Extra Crew

Drew da Destroya
03-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Looks like fun! You'll have to come back and tell us how it went.

WAAAAAAAGH!!!

Rissan4ever
03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
I run Imperial Guard, and my tankers' worst nightmare is a Nob with a Power Klaw on a bike. Looks like a solid list to me.

furryblueelf
03-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Multiple Tankbusta's in trukks or Buzzgob's Big Mek Stompa (and its ridiculously awesome reduced stompa cost). Sitting back with two S10 Ap1 7" blast weapons can be a laugh a minute, for you or the opponent.

Da Gargoyle
04-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Are Orks not allowed to loot Basilisks anymore? Cheap, seriously nasty big guns with direct or indirect cover ignoring S10 AP2 and long ranged killy goodness. And now with a grot BS of 3, (I know what yer thinking but I'm talking about shooting on the battlefield, not talkin in da pub). Back em up wiv a Big Mek an may be anuvva wiv a forcefield. Can't believe Orks didn't think of them first.

Da Gargoyle
04-08-2016, 01:31 AM
Just looked at the book, they really nerfed the Orks. No krak grenades? No Ork but Tank Bustas get Tank Busta bombs? And as I found out, no looted vehicles? A big mob of Tank Bustas all armed with rokkits and then assault if you get close. Who knows, maybe you might immobilise the target for auto hits with the Tank Busta Bombs. Unless you go to Forge World, where the vehicles are tough enough to last a round and get in a second shot with the big guns they carry.

DaPlebbeH
04-08-2016, 04:28 AM
I was really feeling the Mek gun option you suggested. Added 2 Kannons and one Lobba with 3 ammo runts and 2 extra crew. The thought behind this selection was options with the kannons and then use the lobba to help soften up a target unit in cover. The list looks more like this now.

Read the rules on Zhadsnark Da Rippa

• Biker Boss: An army led by Zhadsnark may include
Warbikers (if available in the army list) as Troops
choices, but the army may not include any Deff
Dreads, Killa Kans or Big Gunz. In addition, if
Zhadsnark begins the game as part of a Warbikers unit
then he gains the Scout special rule.

Mek gunz class as big gunz as I e-mail forgeworld for a rule's on it for a tournament

malikjack
04-11-2016, 02:36 AM
Very good to know nice catch! I will have to relook at what to do with those points. Thanks for the rules update.

Da Gargoyle
05-07-2016, 02:30 AM
I just read about updated FAQ which would appear to state that squads can only make 1 grenade attack on a vehicle per assault turn. All this seems to do in my book is further nerf armies like Orks who now don't have a reason to take tank bustas, (again). I doesn't make a difference for Eldar as their bomb squads also have melta guns and a decent BS. So it becomes more economical to take nobs with klaws if you want to assault vehicles. Multiple hits at high strength and ap, what's not to like.