PDA

View Full Version : VR up on steam for pre-order

Psychosplodge
03-03-2016, 05:13 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/358040

The HTC Vive is up. £689.00. What they don't tell you is that's excluding tax and delivery according to the htc website. Though it might just be excluding delivery as the HTC website puts it at approx £750.

I was impressed by it for the 10 mins I had a go on it at insomnia. Kinda worried about long term affects on your eyes though. I mean isn't it kinda like sitting too close the TV? (twice?)

Morgrim
03-03-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure. I think it may be like a mirror, where it gives you false depth of field due to optical effects, and thus doesn't cause the same eye strain? I guess we'll find out within a few years!

Psychosplodge
03-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Yeah considering I don't think I'll be buying in at this pricepoint, hopefully we'll know by the time the price falls :D

Erik Setzer
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
There are some issues with it, but different than just starting at a screen really close. I'm not sure I want to deal with that given I already have some problems with my eyes acting weird. The price tag isn't helping sell it, either.

Psychosplodge
03-07-2016, 07:24 AM
https://i.imgur.com/fTUGh1h.png

Kirsten
03-26-2016, 05:23 PM
to be honest I really don't know anything about any of these VR headsets, what they do, what they add to the experience etc. there seem to be a load of them, all massively expensive and demanding.

Psychosplodge
03-29-2016, 02:04 AM
The Vive was amazingly immersive for elite dangerous, but I only flew the basic combat tutorial in a fully set up flight seat with all the throttle and joystick etc, How easy it would have been to do anything complicated like docking, running the comms etc... who knows?

Kirsten
03-29-2016, 02:37 AM
I am vaguely interested in the PS4 one as it is half the price and you know it will work on any PS4, where a PC one might not work on your machine. but I will wait until everything is out and reviewed etc.

Psychosplodge
03-29-2016, 02:49 AM
They've got a demo you can download to see whether it'll work on your PC.

The ps4 will be more prone to motion sickness as it's got a tiny field of view. I think they'll struggle to get a decent frame rate on it as well.

Morgrim
03-29-2016, 08:22 AM
I've had a chance to play on the Vive and the Cardboard. The Vive is definitely a superior product; it fitted over my glasses okay, it didn't feel like it was about to fall off my head all the time like the Cardboard did, there were no visual glitches or signs that I was wearing a headset.

Alas, the price. I'm waiting a few years for the technology to become settled and economies of scale kicking in, because it is way out of my price range right now.