PDA

View Full Version : 40K in Memphis, TN

B-rock
04-18-2010, 08:40 PM
after the bunker in Memphis closed the community has almost if not died

is there anyone playing 40k near memphis or anyone know of events near memphis

Sinistermind
04-19-2010, 01:38 AM
my suggestion would be go to the shop locator on GW's site, after my GW closed it sucked and theres a shop near me that does weekly 40k and monthly tournaments....

AnarchX
04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Anyone who says the 40K community is dead in Memphis is clearly out of touch.

There are 2 places to play 40k in the Memphis area:

MidSouth Game Center
7990 Trinity Road #125
Cordova, TN 38018

Gamerz Depot
9991 Hwy 178 Suite #6
Olive Branch, MS

MidSouth Game Center is mostly a collectible card place (Magic, Pokeman) but they sell GW product at the store, and there are at least two different groups who play 40K there and up until this month, there have been monthly tournaments. The owner is not a GW guy, but has a deal with a former GW employee and his comrade to sell GW product.

Gamerz Depot opened not long before the Memphis bunker closed and is more of a war gaming store. The Adeptus Memphis group plays there on Tuesday nights,. and they also host tournaments. I think it alternates between Fantasy and 40K every month. Last time I was there, they had little to no GW stock, but they do have a fair amount of tables and a little more comfortable setting for war games.

There is also a forum at BattleforMemphis.com (http://battleformemphis.com). If you sign up there and actually post that you are looking for a game, you will usually find one.

There is also a store in Jackson, TN, Nerdvana which is not a far drive from Memphis that has 40K tournaments. I have been meaning to cruise over there for one of their tournaments, but haven't made it yet.

If you have any questions, or need a game, PM me here or post on the Battle for Memphis forums.

Thanks,

AnarchX

AnarchX
04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
...and the Memphis Battle Bunker will be re-opening sometime in May, but I haven't seen a definitive date yet, but the word is that they were shooting for mid-May, but would definitely be open by the end of May.

Thanks,

AnarchX

B-rock
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Anyone who says the 40K community is dead in Memphis is clearly out of touch.

There are 2 places to play 40k in the Memphis area:

MidSouth Game Center
7990 Trinity Road #125
Cordova, TN 38018

Gamerz Depot
9991 Hwy 178 Suite #6
Olive Branch, MS

MidSouth Game Center is mostly a collectible card place (Magic, Pokeman) but they sell GW product at the store, and there are at least two different groups who play 40K there and up until this month, there have been monthly tournaments. The owner is not a GW guy, but has a deal with a former GW employee and his comrade to sell GW product.

Gamerz Depot opened not long before the Memphis bunker closed and is more of a war gaming store. The Adeptus Memphis group plays there on Tuesday nights,. and they also host tournaments. I think it alternates between Fantasy and 40K every month. Last time I was there, they had little to no GW stock, but they do have a fair amount of tables and a little more comfortable setting for war games.

There is also a forum at BattleforMemphis.com (http://battleformemphis.com). If you sign up there and actually post that you are looking for a game, you will usually find one.

There is also a store in Jackson, TN, Nerdvana which is not a far drive from Memphis that has 40K tournaments. I have been meaning to cruise over there for one of their tournaments, but haven't made it yet.

If you have any questions, or need a game, PM me here or post on the Battle for Memphis forums.

Thanks,

AnarchX
i am out of touch me and a friend play but i want the old community back and where did you get that info on the bunker reoprning

AnarchX
04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
i am out of touch me and a friend play but i want the old community back and where did you get that info on the bunker reoprning

What you want is to be able to walk in somewhere when you feel like playing and be able to get a game with little to no effort (not that there is anything wrong with that.) Unfortunately that isn't how it works these days. If you want to play, you have to find an opponent and set up a game. It seems most people don't bring their stuff unless they already have a game planned. If you are looking for an opponent, post on the forums at http://battleformemphis.com, or go up to MSGC on Tuesday nights ( a bunch of us play Dark Heresy in the back room) or Saturday afternoons.

With the bunker opening back up in May, maybe it will be easier, but a lot of people are upset with GW for completely abandoning us, and we have no idea what kind of atmosphere the new bunker will be, but we are hoping for the best. The bunker was pretty dead when it closed anyway with half of the people playing at Gamerz Depot.

GW said (on the record) that the Memphis Battle Bunker would be open by the end of May. I expect to see an announcement in this month's White Dwarf, but who knows. If I ever get a concrete date, I will pass it along.