PDA

View Full Version : What the video gives us.

Gooball
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll start it off with this;
10 ranks wide minimum is not likely: Almost all units there are sticking to same old 5 men wide routine.
Go go go!

MC Tic Tac
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I'll start it off with this;
10 ranks wide minimum is not likely: Almost all units there are sticking to same old 5 men wide routine.
Go go go!

Well ALOT of those pics are already in exsisting Army books, the Rule book, and White Dwarf/Online.

But 10 wide has been rubbished anyway I believe.

Though personally I have heard that 3,000pts will become the Norm for most games rather than 2,000pts. Might help with the rumoured return of %'s and Hero based armies like Vamps, but who knows?

Lord Azaghul
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Well ALOT of those pics are already in exsisting Army books, the Rule book, and White Dwarf/Online.

But 10 wide has been rubbished anyway I believe.

Though personally I have heard that 3,000pts will become the Norm for most games rather than 2,000pts. Might help with the rumoured return of %'s and Hero based armies like Vamps, but who knows?

I'm kind of wondering about the point thing myself. If that's true I hope they've sped the game up a bit, 3k can take a fair bit longer then 2k.

But the whole 3k seems to kind of defeat the point of moving the game to %...unless of course they drop a lord into the 3k and over point limit (that's 100% speculation btw)

But whatever the end result of 8th the goal is to get EVERYONE to buy more models!

MC Tic Tac
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
3k = More models ;)

But time will tell as to what will happen.

Grabula
04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
It's always weird to me how extreme people will go in rumors for this hobby.

10 ranks wide minimum is ridiculous for several reasons. Units would be much harder to maneuver that's not including larger based units that might be working to get rank bonuses. Ranks have always been 4-5 in WFB and I'm willing to bet that's one of the few constants going forward.

3K battles is out too. If anyone's' playing 2k battles now they'd know some armies have a hard time squeezing comfortably on the table at 2K. Sure 3K might sell more models but ultimately 2K has been the high watermark for WHFB for years and like the ranks thing I"m betting it will be a constant.

Ultimately you just have to apply a little common sense and not get sucked into a rumor mill run primarily by people who have a reason to dislike the game or company. Both of the above rumors I'm betting came from someone more concerned with GW's business practices then game writing. Both seem somewhat plausible if you're looking at it from a purely money making viewpoint but even GW has to stay somewhat practical in terms of the rules they apply.

MC Tic Tac
04-20-2010, 07:49 AM
It's always weird to me how extreme people will go in rumors for this hobby.

10 ranks wide minimum is ridiculous for several reasons. Units would be much harder to maneuver that's not including larger based units that might be working to get rank bonuses. Ranks have always been 4-5 in WFB and I'm willing to bet that's one of the few constants going forward.

3K battles is out too. If anyone's' playing 2k battles now they'd know some armies have a hard time squeezing comfortably on the table at 2K. Sure 3K might sell more models but ultimately 2K has been the high watermark for WHFB for years and like the ranks thing I"m betting it will be a constant.

Ultimately you just have to apply a little common sense and not get sucked into a rumor mill run primarily by people who have a reason to dislike the game or company. Both of the above rumors I'm betting came from someone more concerned with GW's business practices then game writing. Both seem somewhat plausible if you're looking at it from a purely money making viewpoint but even GW has to stay somewhat practical in terms of the rules they apply.

Well all being well hopefully you're right, but who knows until July the 10th.

Hell my Orc and Goblins pray they are both just rumours.

Gooball
04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
3k armies may seem like a lot but i would not mind minimum rank going to 6 :) since i sometimes use my goblins 6/7 wide depending on the points!

addamsfamily36
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
3k armies may seem like a lot but i would not mind minimum rank going to 6 since i sometimes use my goblins 6/7 wide depending on the points!

Other than gaining the extra attack (or attacks if you have spearmen) , having 6 wide ranks serves no other purpose other than to also increase your frontage, so i would be dissapointed to see the minimum increased, as non horde armies or more elite units, would struggle to field the required amount of models at that unit width to be effective.

Also, all newer kits produced by GW come in multiples of 5. knights usually 5. infantry 10-20. So if they did increase minimum rank size, you would have to buy more boxes to get those extra space filled. :(

quinn
04-21-2010, 06:49 PM
3K is not a problem if you know what your doing. Ardboyz is played at that level and I've been able to complete 90% of the games I've played in 3 hours or less. If the rules simplification that's rumored happens, then games should be faster. As far as horde armies, there should be a penalty to pay for having twice as many units as your opponent (if rumored changes beef up horde armies), so maybe some of your stuff deploys behind other stuff, etc.
My big beef with rumors is that it's really hard to figure anything out until you analyze the new rules as a WHOLE. If it was easy to figure out the ramifications of rules, then GW would never have to issue FAQs or have problems with AB imbalance. Which we know is not the case.
I still think 40K got it right when it didn't impose extreme limits on building a force, it just made it almost impossible to win unless you took more than the minimum of Troop choices. I was hoping for the same type of tweak on the fantasy side, but all of this talk of percentages has made me pretty leery of these new rules.
Back to the original question: I expect, no..I demand really cool new rules and models for naval invasions! (I think the DE ships are very cool!)...:D

eldargal
04-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I want the game to be about massed troop combat myself, you know something is wrong when some armies can get away with 40k amounts of models.:rolleyes:

Warp
05-19-2010, 04:13 AM
I want the game to be about massed troop combat myself, you know something is wrong when some armies can get away with 40k amounts of models.:rolleyes:

Agreed, this is what Warhammer is about to me, massive amounts of soldiers and beasts fighting each other, not tanks. I play 40K for the tanks and übersoldiers.