PDA

View Full Version : Descent of Angels List (Queue: Flight of the Valkyries in your head)

Eusebius Rex
04-20-2010, 10:47 AM
OK, so I'm probably not the only one playing this way - but its been a LOT of fun. This is definately a more hobby lists, but I would like to go against a true leafblower with it. I've fought some tank heavy IG leafblower'ish list (inluding 2x mystics) and actually am pretty happy with the resulting wins.

List Name: The Sanguinor + Librarian, w/ Lemertes Total Points 1990
HQ:
The Sanguinor 275
Librarian + Blood Lance, Sword of Sanguinus + Jump Pack 125

Elites:
Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack 75 ***attach to libby's squad

Troops:
Assault Marines Squad + 5x Additional Marines
- Sgt PowerFist + Sgt Infernus w/ 2x Melta Gun 250
Assault Marines Squad
- Sgt PowerFist + Sgt Infernus w/ 1x Melta Gun 150 ***Libby's bodyguard*** might make into an Honorguard
5x Death Company + 5x Jump Pack
- 1x T-Hammer
- 1x Infernus
- 1x Power Weapon
- Lemertes +150 385

Fast Attack:
5x Vanguard Veterans + 5x Jump Pack ***gets the uber Sgt***
- VVSgt T-hammer
- 3x Power Weapon
- 1x Infernus Pistol
5x Vanguard Veterans + 5x Jump Pack
- VVSgt T-hammer
- 3x Power Weapon
- 1x Infernus Pistol

I have a problem with MC's. The Sanguinor and DC can make do with them alright, but everyone else might last one round even against carnifexes. So far, I really like having the initiative in my hands though. one thing I did just notice is that my VVanguards are the same exact cost whether they are in 2x squads of 5 or 1 squad of 10 and can combat squad, so that may help vs MCs.

DoA is a great capability - some 14 or so games with this type of army (little variation) and only 4 misshaps, with 2 squad deaths.

My goal is to heavy this up a bit, but retain the vast majority of the deep striking capabilities. I've thought of bringing a Laser/Msl dev squad to snipe MCs for me from afar and have been thinking of scouts with a locator beacon to bring in DS'ing assault termies and/ or a landraider. I'd like to heavy up a 2k and 2500pt list... any ideas?

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
You unfortunately do not get to choose who gets the Uber Sgt. Sanguinor's rule states to 'Randomly Choose' p.51 C:BA.

If you are worried about Monsterous Creatures--- I would swap one melta squad (including infernus pistol) to Plasma Rifles and Pistol- that's 5 shots that will cut through MC pretty easily. (you said you have 10 points-- that'll upgrade two Meltaguns to Plasma Rifles.).

hmmm-- maybe you have had more experience than I have had-- but I like Veteran Assault Squads at 10 men, all with Power Weapons/or lightning Claws. You, obviously, lose a Thunder Hammer, but you are pretty much get auto wipe out the squad the Vanguard hit! Even Monsterous Creatures have a pretty good chance to go down on the charge-- assuming you have furious charge. If you have Furious Charge, even Wraithlords have a good chance of dying.

Eusebius Rex
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
You unfortunately do not get to choose who gets the Uber Sgt. Sanguinor's rule states to 'Randomly Choose' p.51 C:BA.

Oh, didn't miss that 'random' thing in the rule, it just doesn't give a mechanic for the random selection, so left to my own devices, the VV Sgt will always find himself as the random uber sgt.:D That was a GW fail - and really we could debate whether it was written literally or as an idiom. I choose idiom.

If you are worried about Monsterous Creatures--- I would swap one melta squad (including infernus pistol) to Plasma Rifles and Pistol- that's 5 shots that will cut through MC pretty easily. (you said you have 10 points-- that'll upgrade two Meltaguns to Plasma Rifles.)

Ha! I never even saw that the Plasma entry is for "gun/pistol" in the Codex. That is great advice and losing one squad to that won't hurt my anti-mech too bad cause I will get 2x S7 shots that are most likely against rear armor with plasma. I might give each Assault squad an infernus, meltgun and a plasmagun actually. Then each will have a chance and shooting a more minor MC like Carnifexes.

hmmm-- maybe you have had more experience than I have had-- but I like Veteran Assault Squads at 10 men, all with Power Weapons/or lightning Claws. You, obviously, lose a Thunder Hammer, but you are pretty much get auto wipe out the squad the Vanguard hit! Even Monsterous Creatures have a pretty good chance to go down on the charge-- assuming you have furious charge. If you have Furious Charge, even Wraithlords have a good chance of dying.

My Vanguard have been so-so. I do like them, but they are begginning to tell as too much a one trick pony. I haven't run them ever as a 10man block because I always bring them in seperate to go directly into an anti-vehicle assault or to assault dudes that got bailed out of a melta'd vehicle. This gives me the potential to kill 7 vehicles on the deep strike. I don't think that has happened before, but it is no stretch to say I've probably gotten 5 or 6. The libby uses Blood Lance and loves dense groups of mech.

I really like having a hammer per 5 man team. I've had to fight a swarmlord a couple times and sending them reeling with a hammer blow is critical to killing the b****. It helps agianst any MC, really - but my powerweapons have been critically failing me. Even with 12 dice on the assault I don't get any wounds it seems. But i think running them as 10man against MCs and then 5 man for mech is probably a good idea - so far they've only lasted long enough to hold the door open for the Death Company to come in.

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
well--- It wouldn't be truly random if you didn't make it random, would it? GW didn't fail-- they don't know how many Sgts you are going to have in your list- if you tried to pull that trick on me, I would make you explain your methods-- it wouldn't get past me. Random is simple, dude- assign a number to each sgt, if you have less than 6- roll a d6 (if un assigned number comes up, roll again). How hard is that? And that is random. Like your list-- 5 sgts, 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 would just re-roll until you got 1,2,3,4or5.

Remember- you can't charge if you rapid fire weapons-- so you might want to think about that before you give them a plama rifle and meltagun.

10 Man Vet Squad has the ability to split into two 5 man teams- they technically could be armed the same way too--- 2 Thunder Hammers, and 8 Power Weapons/or lightning claws. That will slaughter just about anything you go up against.

Eusebius Rex
04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Random is simple, dude- assign a number to each sgt, if you have less than 6- roll a d6 (if un assigned number comes up, roll again). How hard is that? And that is random. Like your list-- 5 sgts, 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 would just re-roll until you got 1,2,3,4or5.

Is it as simple as connecting DC Tycho to the Death Company FoC slot because they both happen to share the same special rule? ;) Try that on me and....

relax, brotha - if GW doesn't give a mechanic to determine the random choice, I will facilitate how I want to. I randomly choose the VV sgt. Next time, I may randomly choose a RAS sgt. choice is up to me because the mechanic is up to me - that simple. Whichever Sgt it is, I will tell my opponent.

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Is it as simple as connecting DC Tycho to the Death Company FoC slot because they both happen to share the same special rule? ;) Try that on me and....

relax, brotha - if GW doesn't give a mechanic to determine the random choice, I will facilitate how I want to. I randomly choose the VV sgt. Next time, I may randomly choose a RAS sgt. choice is up to me because the mechanic is up to me - that simple. Whichever Sgt it is, I will tell my opponent.

Actually, you do not get to facilitate how you want to randomly choose--- your opponent has input on this decision--- you guys are supposed to agree on the method-- random means random-- if the method does not have random mechanic to it, then you'd better be willing to duke it out with your opponent- this isn't YOUR codex.

And for your snipe at me about Tycho--- which is in a completely different thread-- Hey, At Least I came up with a method that at least USES the book. You still haven't even described yours! Besides, it isn't that they share the same special rule--- it is that the rule specifically states Death Company. I am not aware of a rule, other than Codex Blood Angels, that states the specific name of a unit, and has a special character with the same name as the special unit, which has the special rule that states the special name of the special unit.

I don't appreciate you sniping at me in this thread-

I do not do that in this forum-- others do not do that in this forum- so don't start it in this forum.

Most forum hosts do not like it when the forum topic gets knocked off thread.

Most forum hosts ESPECIALLY do not like it when the topic gets knocked off thread for a snipe.

If you do not want my input anymore on your ARMY LIST, then say so.

Eusebius Rex
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Sorry, ok, you're right.

Eusebius Rex
04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
OK, so here is an attempt to heavy it up w/out taking away too much of the JP capabilities...

List Name: The Sanguinor + Mepheston, w/ Lemertes Total Points 2000
HQ:
The Sanguinor 275
Mepheston 250

Elites:
Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack 75 - not sure will be attached, probably a 10 man Plasma RAS

Troops:
- Sgt Powerwpn + Sgt Infernus w/ 2x PlasmaGun 250
6x Death Company + 6x Jump Pack
- 1x T-Hammer
- 1x Infernus
- 1x Power Weapon
- Lemertes 420

Fast Attack:
10x Vanguard Veterans + 5x Jump Pack 480
- VVSgt T-hammer
- 6x Power Weapon
- 2x Infernus Pistol
- 1x T-Hammer

My first inclination is that Mephestidon will start onboard with the Sanguinor and the DC in some terrain to gain cover saves. and hopefully last 1-2 rounds of shooting. I'd love them to be able to jump out and assault something w/in 18" (24 for Meph) and draw the enemy out so that on round 2 when almost everyone else comes in they'll get some good shots in round 2. the RAS Plasma squad will of course target infantry HVTs and w/ only one vanguard squad of 10, I can bring them all in or none one one reserve roll with a reroll. i thought about putting the priest with the DC and w/in 6" of the Sanguinor and Mepheston so they get FnP as well, but I am hoping by giving 3 big baddies of my own to shoot at that my opponent will spread his fire to kill them equally and not be able to kill any before my deepstrikers come in. I dunno, sounds too complicated...

Tynskel
04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
hmmm...

To me, Mephiston is better in a ground force (or mixed armor)-- him starting on the board without any other heavy targets puts him in the 'free kill' category.

The big problem with throwing in Mephiston and Sanguinor is that you have 3 Characters --- Lemartes is also an expensive character--- totally awesome, but you are putting 675 points one three guys...

Your list looks like a deep strike/lightning assault list--- I would recommend putting Mephiston in a Stormraven: you can still reserve (deep strike, or just zoom out 24"). Obviously, Mephiston shines in close combat, but getting him there can be difficult, because he cannot deep strike.

However, because of the way the list is built-- I am not sure how I could modify your list to fit in a Stormraven-- I would have to make a drastic change---

My first inclination is to chop the vanguard in half (your previous list had two squads of 5--- but that goes against the advice I gave previously too...), this will allow you to still keep some of your vanguard. That's ~240- Enough for the Stormraven with extra armor (-215). +25 points left over... then you come in to the problem of: well, now I have a stormraven, I should have a dreadnought too... For my next magic trick-- ditch 5 Marines from the Plasma Death Squad.--+90 points (total +115). Now you just need 10 points... well, you are not getting 10 points easily-- one Death Co. is 35, which will put you at: +150--- a Furioso with Hv Flamer, Blood Talons, and Extra Armor = 150.

So your new list would come out to:

2000 Points
HQ 525
275 Sanginor
The Exemplar
250 Mephiston
The Lord of Death

ELITES 225
75 Sanguinary Priesthood
Priest, Jump Pack
150 Furioso
Dread, Hv Flamer, Blood Talons, Extra Armor

TROOPS 795
160 Assault Squad: Plasma Death
5 Marines, Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol, 2 Plasma Rifles
250 Assault Squad: Melta Death
10 Marines, Powerfist, Infernus Pistol, 2 Meltaguns
385 Death Company
5 Marines, Jump Packs, Thunder Hammer, Infernus Pistol, Power Weapon, Chaplain Lemartes

FAST ATTACK 240
240 Vanguard Veterans
5 Marines, Jump Packs, Thunder Hammer, 3 Power Weapons, Infernus Pistol

Hv SUPPORT 215
215 Stormraven
Extra Armor (you lost dakka dakka with the loss of 11 guys--but of course this thing can be armed whatever!)

A blood Taloned Dread with Mephiston is SCARY. Mephiston can handle big things quite well, so the Blood Talon Dread is there to make sure Mephiston doesn't get swarmed---- between Mephiston's 6 attacks and the Dread's 4 supra lightning claws (on the charge), you don't have to worry about a swarm of orks ruining your day.

You have enough Death Company to make the Dread a Death Company Furioso-- that'll free up 15 points (another infernus pistol in the vanguard?) but then, mephiston's bodyguard wouldn't exactly be watching mephiston's back--- more the other way around...