PDA

View Full Version : First planetstrike game with IG as defender vs. Eldar

Guardnut
08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I'd appreciate some feedback/advice on the following list I've been working on for my Ig vs. an experienced Eldar player.

The concept I'm going for is IG garrison with Inquisition support. The tanks are going to be used for a counter strike vs. the invaders from reserve so they don't get flattened in the first turn and the vendetta's as mobile tank hunters and to target anything resilient.

The sentinels are going to be used as mobile fire support to take on jet bikes etc.

HQ
Company Command

Officer of the fleet, astropath, master of ordance, 2 x boddyguards, Regt Std, Medic, Vox , Melta gun

Inquisitor lord and retinue

Inq lord with term armour, psychic hood & hammerhand
Familiar, acolyte, warrior, sage 2x mystic

Elite
2 x Ratling squads of 3 each

Fast attack
2 x Vendetta gunships
3 x Hellhounds
3 x scout sentinels (multi laser)

Troops
2 x 10 man squads of inquisitorial stormtroopers
2 x infnatry platoons (Command + 2 x 10 men + Heavy weapons squad - 3 x heavy bolter)

Heavy
3 x Leman Russ MBT
3 x Leman Russ Exterminator

Valdore
08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, first up I would suggest looking at the Banewolves as an alternative to the hellhounds, they work stupidly well against most things at the moment.

I would also recommend you field the russes separately, it doesn't guarantee you get three in on one roll, instead it guarantees you'll get some in (based on statistics) and gives them a better chance of surviving.

Other than that, I don't know how effective 6 ratlings will be, it may be worth seeing if you can get anything more useful like another squad of men for the points they cost.

Also, a counter-assault squad of some nature would be advisable as you will likely end up with squads deep-striking directly into your troops.

Other than that, good luck, have fun and alter your list dependent on how the first game goes :)

thecactusman17
08-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I'd appreciate some feedback/advice on the following list I've been working on for my Ig vs. an experienced Eldar player.

The concept I'm going for is IG garrison with Inquisition support. The tanks are going to be used for a counter strike vs. the invaders from reserve so they don't get flattened in the first turn and the vendetta's as mobile tank hunters and to target anything resilient.

The sentinels are going to be used as mobile fire support to take on jet bikes etc.

Troops
2 x 10 man squads of inquisitorial stormtroopers
2 x infnatry platoons (Command + 2 x 10 men + Heavy weapons squad - 3 x heavy bolter)

I'm not sure on how your squad is kitted here, but a player at my FLGS plays his guard in massive bunches (40-50) for Planetstrike games. With 2-3 commisars or more in the squad, they will eat anything that comes after them and tie up CC walkers and MCs for the game. Spread out evenly, they will deny easy Deepstriking access to your bastions as well.

Lord Inquisitor
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't know about the Master of the Ordanance. I used one time and he did kill more than his weight in Bezerkers. But that means you have to stand still and the scatter can get pretty crazy, especially when the enemy is coming in your lines.

Guardnut
08-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I thought about the ratlings as they tend to get a lot of attention from the player I'm fighting against normally and he hates the thought of me shooting up his warlocks with them.

I'll spread the tanks through the heavy slots to give me more chance of getting them through on the reserve rolls, good idea, thanks.

The inquisitor is there to give me 2 mystics in his retinue. This would allow me to nominate a unit within 12" to get a free shot at any deep striking unit. With static guardsmen having a 24" range and two shots I thought I could screw his aspect warriors up if they deepstrike near to my lines.

Guardnut
08-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Well, just finished the battle against the eldar and I finally used the following:

company command squad
(with officer of the fleet and atropath, 2 bodyguards, Regt std, medic vox and melta gunner)

Inquisitor lord and retinue (Term armour, Storm bolter, familiar, acolyte, warrior, sage, 2 x mystic)

Troops
2 x Stormtrooper squds (inducted DH)
2 x Infantry platoons (Pln Cmd + Commissar, 3 squads, 1 x 3 HB heavy weapons squad) - with 3 commissars with one platoon only

Fast attack
2 x Vendetta in 1 squadron
2 x banewolf in 1 squadron

Heavy
LR punisher with 3 x HB
LR punisher with 3 x HB
LR punisher with 3 x HB
LR Exterminator with 3 x HB
LR Exterminator with 3 x HB

Stratagems
Guard
Void shield
Krak attack

Eldar
Web way?
night fighting - dawn assault

The battlefield had a sky platform and 2 bastions holding one corner with an aegis line strung between them. The stormtroopers held each bastion and an infantry platoon with their heavy bolters holding the wall between them.

At the end of three turns he conceded! First victory against my friend with him playing eldar! We have scheduled a rematch next week with me attacking this time, again with 3000 points each.

Highlights included having the centre of my line wiped out with lucky orbital bombardments and losing most of my stormtroopers as well from both bastions.

The eldar avatar and and harlequins deep striking behind my bastion, only to be met by my mystics telling the 3 heavy bolters near them to open fire on the avator causing two wounds on him! One unit of guard got ripped up by the harlequins and then they consolidated under the platform to be shot up by another squad and then charged by guard and finished off in close combat. A first for my guardsmen!

The command squad having a very lucky day and causing a further two woulnds to the avatar and killing him before he could do anything.

The vendettas coming on behind the wave serpents and blowing one up and disabling the other. The banewolves then gassing the survivors of the blown up wave serpent.

Two punishers coming into play behind the seer council that had disembarked to prevent them being blown up by the vendettas, only to be targetted by two punishers and wiped out. The remaining three of the seer council failing their morale check and running off the board.

Overall, very satisfying!

Thanks for the advice chaps