PDA

View Full Version : Crons competitive?

B-rock
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
is there anyone who knows of a good 1850 cron list that plays well in 5th?

no money limit i have enough of every unit to fill any list!

murrburger
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
:/

3 monoliths, spam warriors, reserve warriors, and hope they don't come in.

I'm only half-kidding by the way.

I think it would be a little bit better if you designed your own list, then asked us to look at it. Or, if you don't know where to start, ask about the strengths and weakness of the Necron army, and try and put it together yourself.

It's no problem if someone wants help, and puts in a nice effort, or something like that... But I don't think anyone is eager to spoon-feed you a list if you just boldly ask for one.

blackjack
04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
"Crons competitive?"

No.

(wait for a new codex)

Dingareth
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
9-15 Destroyers, 2 Lords, 30 Warriors, and as many Immortals you can fit in after that.

B-rock
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Lol I like that answer lol.

Lerra
04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Crons are honestly not bad. They are not a top tier competitive force, but they can still hold their own if played by a good general. And it's possible to win competitive events with a bit of luck. A lot of players don't know how to beat Necrons in 5th ed.

We've got a local 'cron player who came in 2nd at the last tournament with an 1850 list like this:

Deceiver
1 Monolith
3 squads of destroyers
1 squad of heavy destroyers
2-3 squads of necron warriors
1 squad of scarabs (7 or 8 models I think)

eagleboy7259
04-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Not at all, you can piss people off if you take a c'tan but really no. Heavy Destroyers are the only tank busters in the whole army and they compete for heavy support slots with Monoliths and drop like flys if you're opponent sees them coming. The only other thing Necrons have is Pariahs which are almost certainly not worth their points because they don't have the Necrons special rule and they have no good delivery system to get them into range to whack a tank. Destroyer lords can do that too but they are basically on a suicide mission then. Immortals rock and are probably the one competitive unit in the whole dang book. So when it comes down to it, Dingareth basically hit the nail on the head.

B-rock
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
i am taking 2lords with solar pulse and veil
30 warriors
15 destroyers
10 immortals

but what about a monolith

eagleboy7259
04-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Monolith = awesome. The only way for necrons to get their scoring troops onto objectives minus running to them. You can drop in front of them and then camp on them forcing people to go around or pop the 'lith but lets be honest, who can kill a 'lith? If it weren't for everybody else's mech other their and the 'crons inability to kill them id be all 'lith then

B-rock
04-22-2010, 05:53 AM
so do i take one or not

eagleboy7259
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Like all the best things in 40k, don't just take one - take two. The only problem is then you're down to just one squad of Heavy Destroyers to kill armor and you have to find some way to compensate for that.

Lord Azaghul
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
so do i take one or not

YES! They are danged hard to kill, and provide the necrons some much needed mobility.

Spartan
04-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Last time I played against Necrons with a Monolith, I pot-shotted it with a guard meltagunner who happened to survive the carnage around him. Needless to say, the Monolith went down to the absolute and utter dismay of my opponent :D

Melissia
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
You definitely want a monolith.

But not for its weapons.

A lord with resurrection orb and a monolith and a good deal of warriors can mean your forces just never ****ing die.

Still a matter of luck, but it's not a bad plan, with some heavy destroyers as anti-tank support. Pariahs and Flayed Ones in combination are just nasty... but they're still overpriced unfortunately...

Tombworld
04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I love running two lords with Res orbs. They MUST have warscythes; for the price, they're a bargain for what they do,and the fact they remove ANY saving throws means anything'll should be scared of tangling with the Lords.

Next up; go nuts on powering up the Lords. I spend as much as I can; they have some great wargear. Love the 'your charge doesn't grant +1 attacks anymore, ner!' and 'Oh, you hit me? Here! Have a STR3 attack right back, bro!' wargear.

Having 2 res orbs means you can cover so much of the board, it ridiculous, and high str/low AP weapons become as useless as anything else at taking out your guys. And Warriors are actually good at ANYTHING when they can shrug off virtually any damage. I had a Lord w/resorb and other baubles plus 15 warriors utterly school a bunch of berserkers after trashing their ride with gauss weaponry.

And yeah, I have a monolith, but when you actually get your head round the special rules it has, and DON'T FORGET to apply them, the thing is incredible. The 'Anything under hole of the template with the the Gauss particle whip is hit on AP1' pretty much lost my chaos opponent the game on the first shot when I took out his predator and he had precisely nothing left that could worry my 'lith!

I believe 'Crons are a great army. And finally 'Crons+deceiver=fun!'

But I cannot agree that Pariahs or flaed ones deserve anything but to be boxed. Sorry, been watching too much Battlestar Galactica

Tynskel
04-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I love running two lords with Res orbs. They MUST have warscythes; for the price, they're a bargain for what they do,and the fact they remove ANY saving throws means anything'll should be scared of tangling with the Lords.

Next up; go nuts on powering up the Lords. I spend as much as I can; they have some great wargear. Love the 'your charge doesn't grant +1 attacks anymore, ner!' and 'Oh, you hit me? Here! Have a STR3 attack right back, bro!' wargear.

Having 2 res orbs means you can cover so much of the board, it ridiculous, and high str/low AP weapons become as useless as anything else at taking out your guys. And Warriors are actually good at ANYTHING when they can shrug off virtually any damage. I had a Lord w/resorb and other baubles plus 15 warriors utterly school a bunch of berserkers after trashing their ride with gauss weaponry.

And yeah, I have a monolith, but when you actually get your head round the special rules it has, and DON'T FORGET to apply them, the thing is incredible. The 'Anything under hole of the template with the the Gauss particle whip is hit on AP1' pretty much lost my chaos opponent the game on the first shot when I took out his predator and he had precisely nothing left that could worry my 'lith!

I believe 'Crons are a great army. And finally 'Crons+deceiver=fun!'

But I cannot agree that Pariahs or flaed ones deserve anything but to be boxed. Sorry, been watching too much Battlestar Galactica

I agree with your sentiment! You seem to really enjoy your Zombie Robot Apocalypse Soldiers.