PDA

View Full Version : "Fluffy" 'Ard Boyz Khorne Berserkers (BA Codex)

Schnitzel
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
So I made up my mind and made the push to up my army to a 2500 point scale, ordered all the new Razerbacks and goods I'll need to do so and have signed up for the 'Ard Boyz at my FLGS. While I'm not expecting to do entirely well with this list, a bit of curiosity hit me and I started to wonder if it might be better than I think....

You see, the majority of the players at my FLGS tend to play very shooty armies. If it's not gunline, then its some form of hybrid. Not really any brick to the face, hard hitting assault armies. Now my list, its Death Co at it's finest. Not too great for objective grabbing, and most likely I'm going to have to try to table my opponent, but I think it will be fun to play. I'm also curious if you think it might actually fare well against gunlines. This came as an afterthought days after drafting the list.

Anyways, on to the list.

Total: 2500pts

HQ: 480pts
220pts Astorath the Grim
260pts Honor Guard with Chapter Banner, Melta, Inferno Pistol, Hand Flamer x2, Lightning Claw and Razerback dedicated transport

Elites: 170pts
60pts Sanguinary Priests with Combi-Flamer
110pts Chaplain with Combi-Flamer

Troops: 1260pts
380pts Death Co (x8) with Power Weapon (x2), Power Fist and Inferno Pistol (And Lemartes)
225pts Death Co (x8) with Power Weapon, Power Fist, Hand Flamer and Inferno Pistol
135pts Death Co Dread with Blood Talons and Heavy Flamer
135pts Death Co Dread with Blood Talons and Heavy Flamer
145pts Assault Squad with Melta, Lightning Claw and Razerback dedicated transport
240pts Assault Squad (10 man) with Melta x2, Lightning Claw and Rhino dedicated transport

Heavy: 590pts
215pts Stormraven with Extra Armor
215pts Stormraven with Extra Armor
160pts Vindicator with Siege Shield and Extra Armor

Death Co and Dreads go in the Stormravens. Astorath and Lemartes accompany the Death Co squads for extra killiness. Honor Squad goes wherever they're fast little transport can take them, buffing all nearby units with extra attacks.

Also something to consider, what would my opponent want to focus on killing more? The terrifying Death Co that threatens to rip him limb from limb? Or perhaps my two tiny scoring units that might be the game breakers. Hmmmm....

*List Updated*

Tynskel
04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Your chaplain cannot have both a Storm bolter and powerfist--- you can only replace the bolter or the bolt pistol, but you cannot replace them twice--- because the weapon load out is bolter or bolt pistol p.85

I really like this list- but only 10 marines is really pushing it on the ability to claim objectives. I wouldn't recommend going below 15.

I would ditch the vanguard vets. +200

change one assault marine razorback to rhino (+5), and bump that squad to 10 marines (-90). add a second melta (-10) and a infernus pistol(-15) to the 'Aspiring Champion'.

Then take one Death Co. Squad and do this (-35):

250 Death Co.
5 Marines, Jump Packs, 5 Power Weapons

For the Honour Guard, I would do this (-55):

265 Honour Guard
5 Marines, 2 Infernus Pistols, 2 Hand Flamers, Power Weapon, Chapter Banner
Dedicated Transport: Razorback

This will up the punch you have in your honour guard.

Also, this will give you a 'Raptor' squad to have your 'Chaos Lord' fly around with. A REALLY NASTY raptor squad--- they should kill an entire Marine squad on the charge. They might actually wipe a full 20 Chaos Marine squad on the charge.
-this squad will still be in the Stormraven.

I'd switch the priests' combi-flamers to hand flamers--- you'll get more attacks in close combat!

KILL MAIM BURN KILL MAIM BURN KILL MAIM BURN

You also don't need the 3rd Sanguinary priest (you have another in the Honor Guard)--- which could be converted into more flying power weaponed Death Co. in Stormraven--- and adding a jump pack to your chaplain... you can find the 5 points for Lemartes instead--- who's a monster.

whatchya think?

Tynskel
04-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Ack

your points are wonk.

I only get to 2348--- you are missing 150 points...

you can still keep the chaplain (put him with the Honor Guard!) and take Lemartes....

yes....

yes........

Schnitzel
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Ack

your points are wonk.

I only get to 2348--- you are missing 150 points...

you can still keep the chaplain (put him with the Honor Guard!) and take Lemartes....

yes....

yes........

Oh snap! I forgot that Lemartes was in there! Doh! That's where the 150 points are.
The chaplain was more or less just to fill up more points. I could probably drop him and work something else out.

I'm going with two Stormravens because I REALLY like my conversion models. I highly doubt I'll see any others at my FLGS for 'Ard Boyz, which makes my army just that much cooler. lol.

Kitting out my Honor Guard sounds like a good idea. Definitely can manage that if I drop one Sang Priest and the Chappy.... Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

The Vets were also another "filler" choice for the list. Probably could drop 'em and go for a full squad of Assault Marines in a Rhino. Will give my objective claimers a little more survivability.

I'm a little iffy on the changing one Death Co to power weapon hoarding jump packers... While it may be more killy, it surely isn't fluffy. Power weapons aren't that easy to come by ya know. ;)

Sang Priests are probably gonna stick with the Combi-Flamers as I already modeled 'em as such, and WSIWYG is a b****. Besides, I'm more likely to rack up flame kills with it being a S4 flame vice a S3 flame, which will hopefully thin the enemy numbers prior to assault and make up for the lack on one attack. Now if they had power weapons I would totally switch to hand flamers.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I've updated the list to reflect new changes. Theres 40 points to spend, 140 if I drop the Chappy, so I have some wiggle room.

The main question still goes unanswered though, how do you think this will fare against a heavy gunline?

Tynskel
04-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't be to quick to make power weapon hording jump guys not fluffy.
Since Astorath would be flying with one squad, that one could be an 'honor guard'-- skull guard? Aspiring Champions?
Just some ideas.
However, I do think you should give them Jump Packs, considering both Astorath and Lemartes are Jump Marines.

As for a gun line-- I really think you need to at least expand to 15 marines that can claim-- you'll be really hard pressed to be able to claim.

Another problem I see is this:

Honor Guard
Death Co.
Death Co.
Vanguard

All 4 of these are horrendously expensive-- swapping out for something cheaper/less expensive to place something durable in there might be worth it---- like Predators (your 3rd Hv Slot). And maybe a bike squad--- there are Khorne Bikers!

Schnitzel
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't be to quick to make power weapon hording jump guys not fluffy.
Since Astorath would be flying with one squad, that one could be an 'honor guard'-- skull guard? Aspiring Champions?
Just some ideas.
However, I do think you should give them Jump Packs, considering both Astorath and Lemartes are Jump Marines.

As for a gun line-- I really think you need to at least expand to 15 marines that can claim-- you'll be really hard pressed to be able to claim.

Good point with them being Astorath's "honor guard". Totally justifiable for them to have power weapons then.
I'm still sitting on the whole jump pack bit though... I'll try to get some playtesting done with both variants. Maybe the JP Death Co will work out better.

FYI, I'm sure you over looked this, but there's more than 15 Marines that can claim now. Two squads of 10 Assault Marines. Vanguard got the boot.

If I finish my 2nd Stormraven by Tuesday I could easily playtest this. :D

Tynskel
04-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Right now, you have a new problem.

The sanginary priests can only go with the death company if you want them in transports (or one with honour guard--- what's the point, they already have a priest). At that point, you almost don't need them anymore. Your chaplain- where's that going? In the razorback?

If you ditch 5 Assault Marines, a Meltagun (because you have to), and one Sanguinary Priest-- switch that rhino back to a razorback,
you'll have 155

That's a Vindicator with a Siege Shield. Khorne Likes Explosions too!

That'll give:

2 Razorbacks, 1 Rhino, 1 Vindicator, 2 Dreadnoughts, and 2 Stormravens. That's a pretty fair mix of armor.

It should hold up well against a standard gunline--- if you run into a leafblower, I am not so sure.

Schnitzel
04-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks a ton for all the help man. I think we've got this list about as fine tuned as its gonna get without playtesting. Then it'll just come down to choosing between whether to JP the Death Co or not. Can't wait to give this a go Tuesday.

The Vindicator is something I had never considered, but with it being fast, moving through terrain and having a S10 blast... Thats pretty 'effin scary. It might just complement this list quite well.
Shamefully, I've now gotta scratch together a Demolisher Cannon and Shield. Blah.

Nikephoros
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Hand flamers are a waste of points, you can drop those.

Tynskel
04-25-2010, 03:57 AM
I disagree- you get to keep your str 5 I5 attack and kill hordes.

Schnitzel
04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I disagree- you get to keep your str 5 I5 attack and kill hordes.

Death to the IG platoon mob!