PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie/Vendetta with Veterans Question

Lednera
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Will a Valkyrie/Vendetta with a Veteran Squad still count as a scoring unit while the squad is embarked? The question comes up due to if a vehicle with a Troop choice inside can capture objectives.

mkerr
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Will a Valkyrie/Vendetta with a Veteran Squad still count as a scoring unit while the squad is embarked? The question comes up due to if a vehicle with a Troop choice inside can capture objectives.

Absolutely.

-- MKerr

the_killer23
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Also, do you measure from the base or the hull? Because I'm sure a Valkyrie/Vendetta is more than 3" up...

mkerr
08-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Also, do you measure from the base or the hull? Because I'm sure a Valkyrie/Vendetta is more than 3" up...

Always measure from the hull (ignoring the wings and the tail).

The Valkyrie flying base is about 6" tall and this will add some distance to your measuring, but not much. Ignore the extra height when you are embarking and disembarking.

-- MKerr

08-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Always measure from the hull (ignoring the wings and the tail).

The Valkyrie flying base is about 6" tall and this will add some distance to your measuring, but not much. Ignore the extra height when you are embarking and disembarking.

-- MKerr

You should at least be consistent. If you measure objective claiming from the hull you have to measure disembarking from the hull. How did you FAQ it for BOLScon?

BuFFo
08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
You should at least be consistent. If you measure objective claiming from the hull you have to measure disembarking from the hull. How did you FAQ it for BOLScon?

Because if you played it this way, embarked units can never get out unless near a building.

In our store, we do everything from the base, and it solves all problems. The exceptions are LOS to and from the hull.

08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Because if you played it this way, embarked units can never get out unless near a building.

In our store, we do everything from the base, and it solves all problems. The exceptions are LOS to and from the hull.

I'm completely aware of that, which is why I asked. It's a broken model in that it doesn't interact with it's own rules in a regular common-sense way. It's like GW doesn't care at all about competitive, regularized play environments (read as 'tournaments') and just wants to sell flavor of the month models to children...oh, wait, that's exactly what it IS, not just what it's like.

I think your store's approach is the most reasonable.

Nabterayl
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
It's like GW doesn't care at all about competitive, regularized play environments (read as 'tournaments') and just wants to sell flavor of the month models to children...oh, wait, that's exactly what it IS, not just what it's like.

I think it's more like GW insists on the people who play its game behaving like gentlemen and gentlewomen who don't need an erratum every time the game shifts on them, and whose personal interest lies more in asymmetry. Asymmetry (of terrain, of objectives, of quality and quantity of troops, vehicles, and other war materiel) is a staple of wargaming because it's a staple of combat, and tournaments strive to make most of the game as symmetrical as possible.

Maybe that's not how you play, or for that matter how most of the internet plays, and maybe it's misguided of them to insist that people work it out for themselves like adults. But I do think if you look at the games the Studio plays and writes up, it's evident that they're playing a fundamentally different game than the one that gets represented on the 'tubes.

BuFFo
08-13-2009, 12:00 PM
It's like GW doesn't care at all about competitive, regularized play environments (read as 'tournaments')

GW doesn't. Not one bit.

Welcome to 1986.

Warhammer 40k is NOT a tournament, rigid competitive game like Magic the Gathering and Chess. It is a laid back hobby concerning with painting, modeling and relaxing with friend over beers for a few hours.

You are aware that GW's FAQs are house rules right? Only Erratas are to be used by players without permission since they replace wording in a rules book.

Warhammer 40k is NOT a tournament based game in any stretch of the imagination.

Faultie
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
So, a 5-man IST squad is like a 50-pt upgrade to make Valks/Vendettas scoring, right?

I'm not wrong that an IST could be in a Valk, am I?
-Andrew

08-13-2009, 01:14 PM
So, a 5-man IST squad is like a 50-pt upgrade to make Valks/Vendettas scoring, right?

I'm not wrong that an IST could be in a Valk, am I?
-Andrew

I think so yes. Not a bad tactic, it's like how you stick min-sized Dire avengers in falcons for end game objective rush. (or FW in piranhas for the same tactic).

It is a laid back hobby concerning with painting, modeling and relaxing with friend over beers for a few hours.

I know, it's interesting how different the British approach to gaming is that the American way. It's like we can't just unclench and relax with a game, as soon as there's somebody across the table from you it's all, "HULK SMASH".

Didn't mean to derail the conversation though.

GrandReaper
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Back to the original question: Yes, troops in a vehicle are still scoring and measure from the vehicle's hull to see if they are in range to hold an objective. As for the "just how close to an objective IS a Valkyrie/Vendetta, the only truly fair response is that all measurements are from the footprint of the actual model projected down onto the playing surface. A simpler acceptable method is to use the base.