PDA

View Full Version : Fun times with sentinels

Melissia
04-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Because I love sentinels. Simple as that. Just a fun exercise in plascan sentinel spam.

CCS: Carapace, 3x Flamer, Heavy Flamer
-- Commander w/Power Weapon, Laspistol
-- Bodyguard
-- Bodyguard
-- Officer of the Fleet

Infantry Platoon
-- PCS w/4 Grenade Launchers
-- Infantry squad w/Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter
-- Heavy Weapons Squad w/3x Lascannons
-- Heavy Weapons Squad w/3x Autocannons

Infantry Platoon
-- PCS w/4 Grenade Launchers
-- Heavy Weapons Squad w/3x Lascannons
-- Heavy Weapons Squad w/3x Autocannons

Armored Sentinel Squadron:
-- Armored Sentinel w/Plasma Cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Enjoy etc.

TSINI
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
good stuff, i love my plascan sentinal, and its damn difficult for enemy units to destroy them in combat too

melty death!!!!

Melissia
04-24-2010, 12:36 AM
The main issue with this, by the way, is the lack of heavy anti-tank. But that's not necessarily that huge of a problem against most armies (land raider spam isn't that popular around here, for example, and Necrons can be dealt with in other manners if they try and spam monoliths). The six lascannons may not be enough against some specialized armies.

TSINI
04-24-2010, 12:46 AM
this is true, although if you use the bring it down order, twin linking these 2 squads, you make it much more likely to do something to the few enemy vehicles that do appear, leaving more of your forces to dedicate fire to the infantry.

i actually like this list, its very anti meq (imperial guard are able to bring a lot of anti space marine fire which is kind of odd don't you think?) although i do feel an executioner would be necessary to bring more plasma - but it would probably not be as usefull as the battle tanks - not to mention the points cost.

Melissia
04-24-2010, 12:50 AM
The Imperial Guard is designed to handle all the enemies of the Imperium, so it's not strange to me.

Actually this list would be pretty nasty against horde armies, as well, because of all the blasts. Not as deadly as a list with lots of cover ignoring blasts, but it does do a good job. Possible improvements for anti-horde might be to remove the PCS grenade launchers and replace them with flamers.

harrybuttwhisker
04-24-2010, 01:46 AM
I would suggest lascannons in the PCS and CCS as they get a BS buff from being in those units, if your using one shot weapons then use the better BS guys to fire them. Also anywhere it says heavy bolter in your squads change it for an autocannon, this heavily ups your anti-mechanized ability with very little drop off in volume of fire. Autocannons are just too good for guard.

Another weird one I have messed around with are griffons, three of these for the price of a russ is just awesome against pretty much everything, can pop vehicles as well as hammering hordes or forcing MEQ units to take a whole lot of saves.

Tynskel
04-24-2010, 02:41 PM
you should trademark this "plascan sentinel spam"
sounds like something I would buy at a market--- a few lasguns, maybe a hv bolter---- oh yeah, the new, super improved, "Plascan Sentinel Spam"!

What's the points--- I am being lazy and don't feel like calculating them out.

I like your Infantry Platoons- I think they are a good match.

I am surprised you are not using one squad of scout sentinels. I think a great combo might be to have Al'Rahem Platoon and a scout sentinel squad outflank, while the main platoon, command, tanks, and armored sentinels set up a core.
Al'rahem has everyone come on from the same board edge (platoons are treated as one reserve group p.96 Imp G)--- that's pretty sweet.

gcsmith
04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
roughly with no look at the gaurd book, nor actually ever playing gaurd around 1940 so 2k list

Melissia
04-24-2010, 06:35 PM
It's a 2000 list.

I never use special characters on principle.

zealotic
04-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I think you should try to get less use out of that CCS, its gonna die if you try to keep it with the boyz, I would get rid of the body guards, flamers and heavy flamer, put in one of the other advisors, whichever you want better control of reserves or a large blast whenever you feel like making a pot shot, and a chimera. I don't say to put both in because of the strain it would put on your points.

Melissia
04-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't see why I'd want to. There's not that much I can spend the points on that'd supplement my army.

Lord Azaghul
04-26-2010, 07:00 AM
I do like the list. It looks like a fun list to play. The list looks like it would do well against MEQ, in almost any form, and be weakest against other IG players.

I'm a huge fan of sentinals myself, but I usually load up on the scout ones, mainly in squads of 2 outflanking with mutllasers. They to a great job for being so cheap and disposible.

I do have one heavy plasmacannon sentinal, but they do seem to work better in pairs, so I don't field mine much.

Spartan
04-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Fun list that I would love to try in my heavy-mech local gaming community!

If I should make an adjustment, I would consider switching grenade launchers and flamers in your command squads to get the full out of BS 4 in your Hq.