PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Night Spinner and Fireprism

Bigred
04-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Night Spinner (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/image-perso/1272156636203,2386ddd328d73882c4261593eb726455.jpg .html)
Fire Prism (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/image-perso/1272156595969,098e61e60bc1096f6fc49748e2f33b70.jpg .html)

Enjoy!

davel
04-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Ok lets have some eye straining time at that writing

........monofilament
......through(?) any ( may be through any cover,a type of weapon that many fith armies have but eldar lack)
...... inexorably ?
......ty ? models hit.
...... hit? (with ap-) ( this seems to be in line with other monofilament weapons)
..... est? aspect (may be a hint it can transport small squads)
...... attack is also
....... a deadly risk to both
........ (possibly soldiers / may be allies) alike. ( last 2 lines seem to indicate a certain versatility, weather this due two fire modes ala the fire prism, or it is an anti troop tank but load it with fire dragons is hard to say)

the model it self

I notice on both there is something on the back engines, so maybe the kit includes some vehicle up grades not yet available star engines.

There are side panels to the main body of the tank which suggests the falcon body is going no where for the foreseeable

the tank clearly has 2 spinners that means either twin linked or 2 blasts

from what has gone before

ok. tank, fast amour 12, 12, 10 piloted by guardians but possible bs 4 ( re fire prism) all vehicle upgrades

mono filament has been historically a bit strange 1, it is either long range or short range. it could work like a whirlwind( historically likely) or a hell hound.

This tank will be in the list in direct competition with the spinner artillery piece which offers best long range cheap fire power. simply putting the same gun on the tank may not make it a viable option, though it should be more mobile.

What this means for the codex

1) GW is giving it some thought. If they were going to add some vehicle up grades this was the best opportunity to do that. take a look at the kit if there is no new upgrade looking thing then there won't be in the dex.

2) artillary is rumoured to be one of the plastics it is likely that the spinners rules will reflect the artillery rules though judging by AP - don't expect major changes.

3) the new tank means that we need a new dex. the dark eldar dex may be old but there are no models in there range that are not in the dex. Any way indications are they (dark eldar) are well on their way. How ever you can't revamp dark eldar with out looking at eldar.
In a years time the copy of white dwarf will be dragged to tournaments looking battered and dog eared. So no imminent release but equally not that far away either.

all that from a photo,

dave l

joescalise
04-25-2010, 05:43 AM
They both rock, but just my luck I just bought the night spinner from forgeworld about two months ago.
The prism is a big upgrade.

Old_Paladin
04-25-2010, 06:46 AM
@Davel:
I wouldn't get your hopes up about a new craftworld codex anytime soon. GW has already said that the rules will be put in White Dwarf; and to the comment that they won't make you lug around an old tattered magazine... well, tell that to Blood Angel players, they've waited since 2007 for a real codex.
We know that the next three codexes coming out are Dark Eldar, Necron and Grey Kinghts; after that rumors are looking at Black Templars (or maybe Dark Angels) or Sisters of Battle.
I don't we can expect to see a new Eldar codex until 2012.

As for the actual models; the fire prism is a big change, but I think it's growing on me. It actually fits the slender style, but I was used to the old bulky gun.

Ebsolom Dhaark
04-25-2010, 06:46 AM
:eek: was my initial thought on the Fire Prisms' armament, although it may grow on me. The turrets do look nice though albeit a bit on the large side.

As for the Night Spinner, the current rules are 7" blast and is also a barrage weapon (so some chance of ignoring cover depending on where the central hole lies). The FW kit also has two Night Spinner weapons on it but is not Twin Linked but that would be a nice option. I think Rending would help increase it's usefelness as well as fit the fluff more and also help out against light mech. The current rules also state it has a transport capacity of six as it is a Falcon variant.The extra panels on the hull are a nice addition and were first seen on the FW Fire Storm kit.

I can see me picking up a couple of these models for my ever expanding Ulthwe force.

david5th
04-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Night Spinner looks great. Fire Prism i feel has lost it's charm without the chunky cannon.

eldargal
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM
I disagree, I think the new version is far more elegant and more suitable to the Eldar aesthetic than the old one.:)

Night Spinner looks great. Fire Prism i feel has lost it's charm without the chunky cannon.

david5th
04-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I disagree, I think the new version is far more elegant and more suitable to the Eldar aesthetic than the old one.:)

Don't get me wrong, i agree it looks elegant but for me it's lost it's 'charm'. I had a 5000 point Ulthwe Eldar army back in 2nd Edition and had 2 Fire Prisms and 3 Falcons. It just doesn't look as good to me but as they say - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DarkLink
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM
What this means for the codex

1) GW is giving it some thought. If they were going to add some vehicle up grades this was the best opportunity to do that. take a look at the kit if there is no new upgrade looking thing then there won't be in the dex.

2) artillary is rumoured to be one of the plastics it is likely that the spinners rules will reflect the artillery rules though judging by AP - don't expect major changes.

3) the new tank means that we need a new dex. the dark eldar dex may be old but there are no models in there range that are not in the dex. Any way indications are they (dark eldar) are well on their way. How ever you can't revamp dark eldar with out looking at eldar.
In a years time the copy of white dwarf will be dragged to tournaments looking battered and dog eared. So no imminent release but equally not that far away either.

all that from a photo,

dave l

Currently no indication that there will be an Eldar codex in the immediate future, or even in the next year or so. I will point out this; DE, after many years of waiting, had not one but two minor rules expansion, first a set of vehicle upgrades, then an actual armylist expansion which included new units.

There are other codices that "need" an update much more than the Eldar (Grey Knights, DE). Appropriately, they are getting updated first.

The night spinner looks like they took a wave serpent, then stuck a second, slightly smaller wave serpent on top. Not exactly sleek. Bulbous is more the word I'd use.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Agreed with Eldargal, the new Prism looks a lot better, elegant and smoother to a fast moving tank of the Eldar.
Ive painted 3 of the current versions for a friends Iyandan army, and this new version will look fantastic.
Guess i better stock up on paints when he buys 3 more of earch of these new tanks.

As for a codex, well i can see it for the future, but maybe not too soon, or GW just could pull a swifty on us with the release of these and bring out a new codex, only time will tell.

Maxis Lithium
04-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Some have suggested that the rules in the WD will be nothing more then a reprint of the Forge world rumors, but I'm not convinced of that. if anything, I expect either 1 twin linked large blast template, S6, AP- rending, barrage, or 2 or more small blast templates, with the same strength and special rules.

I also expect that the rules for the new tank will be available on the GW website in a month or so's time. If we're in luck, they'll also go though and update it with any corrections/FAQs that will be necessary due to it's rules, like they did with the BA web codex.

And personally, I was hoping for a bigger crystal on the prism cannon. oh well.

knotdragon
04-26-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm really loving that clear plastic crystal - plans are being made, clear plastic plans :)

addamsfamily36
04-26-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm really loving that clear plastic crystal - plans are being made, clear plastic plans

sorry to dash your plans, but i think you'll find its a paint effect, not an actual clear plastic crystal:(

megatrons2nd
04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
It looks like clear plastic to me. The cutaway close up in the top corner looks to be from a different angle and the red line from the opposite side has shifted.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
04-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Its clearly clear plastic.....no pun intended.

eldargal
04-26-2010, 10:33 AM
It is clear plastic, why would you paint blurred reflections of the opposite support frame when the actual position would vary depending ont he viewing angle. Paint a reflection like that and look at it from teh wrong angle and it would like damned silly.

Snyderson
04-26-2010, 10:40 AM
It is clear plastic, why would you paint blurred reflections of the opposite support frame when the actual position would vary depending ont he viewing angle. Paint a reflection like that and look at it from teh wrong angle and it would like damned silly.

That would be as silly as giving Guardians a 12" shuriken catapult - uhm, wait a minute ... ! :rolleyes:

davel
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
to respond respectfully to dark link

The new staged releases and tighter rumor control makes it hard for anyone to guess what coming out and when.
Eldar codex will either be out sooner or later( that last statement does not help).

i agree with dark link that the nearest example of white dwarf rules being accepted ( at tournies) is the blood angels army list though there are differences.

When city of death was released eldar got metal rangers and more importantly guardian weapons platform. This had no new weapons for the platform ( not we needed more). This set the eldar heavy weapons in stone ( well plastic)
That had ramifications for vehicles and wraithlords and will have ramifications for rumored new vyper. Only way it will get a new heavy weapon is if it is specific to it ( ala wraith sword)

yes guardians are a bit pants, but that kit had implications as these next kits do. New tanks keep the falcon body so thats going nowhere wraithlord and warwalker where done recently so these are last opportunity to add new vehicle upgrades.
implications.

to further my optimism

I recall the white dwarf blood angels list. I don't recall them getting any new release with it. Makes this issue different.

tyranid dex was a little out of left field and certainly flys in the face of there are other dex's that need it more.

you can't do dark eldar with out looking at eldar.

Actually the eldar dex does not need much of a fix just a few tweaks can be released with as much work as a marine chapter dex ( that may cause arguments)

though i have been known to be wrong

Dave l

addamsfamily36
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
On secodn ispection, Agreed, that the close up to the top right of the picture does show a clear view through to the otherside of the crystal

But

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/638/Eldar_.jpg

In a close up of the crystal from the main picture, although you can see what appears to be the other side of the crystal, wheres the tank? if it was clear plastic wouldn't you be able to see the red hull of the body? also the gun pilot's window also appears to have been filled in with a grey/white effect. Now it could be trick of light, or photography as flash from a camera could create this effect, i just thought was interesting.

sorry if i stepped on any toes with original post.

DarkLink
04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
to respond respectfully to dark link

The new staged releases and tighter rumor control makes it hard for anyone to guess what coming out and when.
Eldar codex will either be out sooner or later( that last statement does not help).

i agree with dark link that the nearest example of white dwarf rules being accepted ( at tournies) is the blood angels army list though there are differences.

We currently have some fairly solid hints for about the next 9 or so months (Gks, DE, and Necrons, with Necrons being last). GKs and DE are practically confirmed for this year, and we're just waiting to see which is first. Beyond that, there has been rumors and speculation between a few other codices, but nothing solid obviously. Nothing about Eldar, though. Plus, eldar are fairly new compared to some of the other codices being talked about, such as Black Templar.

So I'm just saying that I wouldn't take this release to indicate a new codex. There's no other reason to expect a new Eldar codex, really, and this isn't the first time that GW's released new unit rules without updating the codex shortly after. GW just saw an opportunity to make some money, and took it. No need to read into it too much, since there isn't a history of such actions that would lead us to think there will be a new codex soon.

knotdragon
04-27-2010, 01:40 AM
True true, plus I kind of hope eldar come out later rather than sooner - maybe we can nudge our way in to being a 6th edition release and avoid the pain of our last codex becoming out of date shortly after its release.

silashand
04-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Hmmm... the night spinner looks okay, though the FW one is far and away better IMO. Not too keen on the new fire prism though. I think I would have liked it better had they left out the clear whatever it is at the hilt of the weapon and just had the actual prism on the end of the barrel. Perhaps it can be converted to not use that portion. If so, I would like it a lot better.

Cheers, Gary

Duke
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I have six fire Prisms and I don't think i will be replacing any of them with the new turret

Madness
05-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Also the backside of the hull looks way too straight, it takes away the leal-looking shape that falcon hull always had. so my vote goes to the old fire prism model. I like the spinner turret tho, it's bulky, but it's supposed to be.

Bigred
05-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Sprue pics vis 40konline's Lorizael (http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=198440.20)