PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush Advice: What Do You Use?

crazyredpraetorian
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I have been using an airbrush for years(However, my Praetorians army is all painted by hand). An airbrush is a great tool for painting tanks and other vehicles. There are a few different ways to utilize the airbrush. This following list is how I use mine. I'm sure others use different methods and this is why I started this thread, to share and exchange info.

I use a Pasche double action brush. The double action gives greater control.

I currently have an old tankless compressor that I got at a garage sale for $10.(SCORE!!!) I understand that the compressors with tanks and regulators maintain a constant pressure and thus have a more even flow. But, for what I use it for this compressor works fine and I have no complaints. I use the airbrush mainly for base coats. Then, I detail by hand.

I use only GW paints that are thinned with water. I mix the paint to the consistency of milk. Since, I spray everything on the sprue this makes touch ups after clipping and cleaning a breeze. I have alway painted before assembly. I know, alot of people assemble and then paint. Different strokes....literally.:D

So, how do you use your airbrush? Do you have tips for the rest of us?

Dave38x
08-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Hey man, i use an Iwata HP-CH, use it for absolutely everything. The only times tanks get normal brushes applied to them are for oilwork and weathering, i do practically everything with the airbrush :)

I use GW paints thinned with tamiay x20a thinner, valljo paints thinned with water, enamel paints, airbrush dedicated paints thinned with alcohol, whatever i need really. I find enamel is best for basecoating though :)

vman
08-09-2009, 06:34 AM
I have a Paasche VL airbrush

I need a new compressor tho, one with a tank.

This diaphragm tankless thing annoys me with the noise

crazyredpraetorian
08-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Hey man, i use an Iwata HP-CH, use it for absolutely everything. The only times tanks get normal brushes applied to them are for oilwork and weathering, i do practically everything with the airbrush :)

I use GW paints thinned with tamiay x20a thinner, valljo paints thinned with water, enamel paints, airbrush dedicated paints thinned with alcohol, whatever i need really. I find enamel is best for basecoating though :)

How is the Thinner working for you versus water?

Le Scriv
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM

I literally got one of these arriving in the mail today or tomorrow! Looking forward to trying it out. x20a thinner has been working great for me so far too. Water just doesn't cut it (I think it makes the paint evaporate and dry quicker so end up with thinner paint but only briefly before it evaporates.)

Skeletay
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Make sure you use a test model first! I used P3 paint with tamiya thinner and ruined a brand new tactical squad. There was some kind of reaction with the paint and thinner and it turned into a sticky goo. Haven't tried it with gw paints though.

chromedog
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Paasche VL myself, with a frankensteined compressor (kitbashed) tank/regulator and moisture trap combo. The 'brush was free from a mate in the SFX field (he replaces his every 2 years) and the compressor cost me around $80 to make.

It's currently in storage until I get my shed built and electrics hooked up externally (as in outside the house).

Brass Scorpion
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a Badger 150-7 kit and a Badger compressor with auto shut-off.