PDA

View Full Version : Nids in your face - 1500

Spartan
04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Okeydokey,

here`s a list I`ve been toying with (in my mind as I`m not finished with all the models). I believe it will be fun to play with, but would also like some input from all you nice gents and ladies as I might take it to a local tournament :D. Here goes:

Hive Tyrant w/ wings, lash whip and bonesword - 230p

2 Zoanthropes - 120p

6 Ymgarl - 138p

Deathleaper - 140p

6 Stealers - 84p

Tervigon w/ catalyst and onslaught- 190

15 Termagants w/ devourers - 150p

15 Hormagaunts - 90p

3 Tyranid Warriors w/ deathspitter and Barbed strangler - 110p

3 Tyranid Shrikes w/ boneswords - 150p

14 Gargoyles w/ adrenal glands - 98p

Total 1500 points

The idea is to race forwards with HT, Shrikes and Gargoyles and present many targets so that the rest can advance unhindered. The Hormagaunts will screen the Termagants with devourers so they will survive to shoot. Warriors and Zoanthropes are fire support, while Deathleaper, Ymgarl and `Stealers are the nasty surprises which will provide a deployment problem. Tervigon will be objective sitter or tank eater while supporting termagants.

I lack heavy supports and should probably try to fit in a Mawloc to really mess with opponents deployment. Not sure to what I should take out though :confused:.

What do you think? Can it do some good or am I dreaming :)

Spartan out

Tynskel
04-26-2010, 02:42 PM
S117 Master Chief:

I like this list- I can think of a couple of simple adjustments if you want to add a Mawloc--- but it involves your HQ.

Drop the Flyrant and Drop the Warriors (+340)
take the Parasite (-160) and a Mawloc with Adrenal Glands (-180).

You lost the Tyrant, :(, but you didn't lose a Monsterous Creature, and you didn't lose a flying HQ close quarters killing machine. However, you did lose back line synapse/firepower- but not too serious, you have 2 Zoans and a Tervigon. One really cool trick for the Mawloc is to start on the board, then burrow, automatic deep strike on Turn 2.

Different Change:
Drop the Hive Tyrant and lose the Death Spitters and Barbed Strangler on the Warriors (+250)
Take the Parasite (-160) and a brood of 2 Biovores (-90).

You end up gaining firepower (still causing pinning, and shoots from farther away-plus two barrage large blast templates!), and still keep your close combat flying monster.

Spartan
04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Interesting suggestions. Just what I was looking for. Have to be honest with the Flyrant though. He`s the one MC I tried to build the army around. His objective is to draw firepower from the opponent who more or less has to take him out. If he survives the first barrage, he will do some damage. At least in theory... I`m sad to say I`m not convinced the Parasite will be able to do that job :(.

The Biovores are nice though. Have to really consider them. Considering this is to be an assault-heavy army I have really toned down the firepower aspect.

How does the Parasite work for you by the way? I`m guessing you are using him yourself. Do you have any strategy tips concerning him? :)

Tynskel
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I like the parasite. He (she, it?) is a great way to have a flying synapse that cannot be targeted except for close combat (and some psychic powers). In that way, the Parasite is very durable.
Like most characters, you have to be careful how you engage the enemy. Str 8 weapons will make it go away (but isn't that the case for just about anything?).

So beyond those things-- how is the parasite?

Fun.
So many armies use outflankers-- the parasite is a big pain in the arse for them. Just scaring your opponent into not using them has already benefited your army.
The parasite can be used as a character killer- being I6 helps a lot! BUT, you can tell just from the point value, that the parasite is hit n' miss in that respect. You get that lucky rending hit- bam, the model loses all of its wounds (against the Iron Halo Space Marine Captain, you have ~20% chance to just kill 'em!)- it is nice.

Really, what the Parasite excels at is infantry munching. Str6, 5 attacks on the charge, and WS5. Just solid blows. My favorite-- 1 n' 3 space marines killed by the parasite gives you more guys to help you in the fight.

One of the best armies that the Parasite can face is an IG army with Al'Rahem--- his entire platoon must outflank, and because this is a platoon, they all enter the board on the same side at the same time... that is a LOT of 'sarge acting funny' rolls. Even if they are not using Al'Rahem, anyone outflanking is in trouble!

However, you need Rippers.... lots n' lots of rippers... they need to be pouring out of your ears!

Overall, fun unit. It doesn't have the shear brutality that a Hive Tyrant has in CC, but, as you said, the hive tyrant has to survive the 'first barrage'. The Parasite has the advantage of hiding in a squad.

Like everything in the Tyranid army- the parasite cannot survive on its own-- you must dedicate a portion of your army to fight with the parasite, for the parasite to be successful. (like having Shrikes+Mawloc+Gargoyles+Parasite= Gold!)

Spartan
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the input! Gave me something to think about! :)