PDA

View Full Version : Background Knowledge

Andrew283
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I want this thread to be for us all to ask each other about our knowledge on "???" subject in the 40K universe.

I'll start off with a question about the 4 C'tan. I know about the Nightbringer and the Deceiver after reading my brothers codex:Necrons but I was wondering who the other 2 surviving C'tan were and I would like to know a little about them.

Thanks

ThePov
08-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Well, one of them, the Void Dragon, is entombed beneath Mars, and is likely the source of a lot of the AdMec's knowledge.

The other one, I forget the name, is trapped in a Dyson sphere at the edge of the Galaxy, and may well be responisble for directing the Tyranids into our Galaxy, but that's still highly contreversial whether it was intentional on the part of either the C'Tan or the Hive Mind, or if it was just a fluke interaction.

Magos
08-07-2009, 06:05 PM
The other C'Tan is the outsider, who was tricked into eating most of the other C'tan by the Eldar Laughing God. The Outsider is also very probably insane. And likely the most powerful of all four of the C'tan.

Inquisitor McSagington
08-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Very Powerful. Considering one of the implacable Hive fleets split in two AROUND his Dyson sphere, I'd say he's untabletopable (if that's even a word.)

Steakhouse
08-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if the Tyranids are avoiding all tomb worlds. There simply isnt anything to eat there thus attacking those planets and even the Necrons themselves would be a waste of resources.

Good idea for a thread btw!

ThePov
08-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the Tyranids are avoiding all tomb worlds. There simply isnt anything to eat there thus attacking those planets and even the Necrons themselves would be a waste of resources.

Good idea for a thread btw!
Well, keep in mind that not all Tomb Worlds are empty. Many Imperial planets are unknowingly built on dormant tomb worlds, so there is a chance that Tyranids would attack a dormant tomb world by accident, thus waking up the Necrons, but I'll agree that an active tomb world is likely not an attractive target for the 'nids, what with the ever decreasing amount of biomass on-world.

Andrew283
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks I just decided that threads about what people wanted from games workshop were useless as GW probably wont really care. Atleast this way all of us fans can help each other

Tarion
08-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Very Powerful. Considering one of the implacable Hive fleets split in two AROUND his Dyson sphere, I'd say he's untabletopable (if that's even a word.)
And remember - The C'tan are supposedly being phased out of standard 40k, as they're Apoc standard.

So, the Outsider is potentially > Apoc Level.

Andrew283
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
A 5000pt model lol

Grabnutz
08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
OK question 2: where did all the Stunties go? One minute they are a core part of the Imperial Guard, the next that have utterly disappeared...:eek:

Andrew283
08-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Stunties??

chromedog
08-08-2009, 09:41 PM
They were in the way of one of the tyranid hivefleets and were EATEN.
Well, the squat homeworlds were eaten anyway. There may have been some settlement/colonies surviving somewhere, considering they never forgot how their tech worked and used to teach the AM how to do stuff.

The tyranids go around the outsider because ALL C'tan push back the warp (in all usages) and suppress the hive mind so the fleet would esentially be split into two halves.

Inquisitor McSagington
08-09-2009, 04:57 AM
They were in the way of one of the tyranid hivefleets and were EATEN.
Well, the squat homeworlds were eaten anyway. There may have been some settlement/colonies surviving somewhere, considering they never forgot how their tech worked and used to teach the AM how to do stuff.

The tyranids go around the outsider because ALL C'tan push back the warp (in all usages) and suppress the hive mind so the fleet would esentially be split into two halves.

HE SAID THE S WORD!!

Reset the SquatClock!

Morskul
08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
The Demiurg are thought to be a modern reappearance of the Squats due to their high technology level and stunted growth

Steakhouse
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Currently the Demiurge have only been referenced obliquely. It's known they're spread out around the galaxy in Brotherhoods or Clan ships. They're not known for being planet bound, though it could be that it simply hasn't come up yet. Some of them are aligned with the Tau, most of them aren't. That's really all that's known.

I had kind of hoped that GW would take a look at what made Dwarves quintessentially Dwarves and give that a solid sci-fi twist. The beard and stature for example. How do we make those elements really spacey? Well what if the beard IS the dwarf? Like it's a major sensory organ? The body is little more then a brain/head object sitting in a tiny couch and the sensory tendrils extend out to taste the air. The stunty body is actually an armature controlled by it's rider to help their squishy, space developed bodies survive in a very hostile universe. On the downside, it's an armature so their movements aren't the fastest.

Ahh, were I a lore designer at GW *wistful tear*

Faultie
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd say the quintessential elements of dwarves are their high craftsmanship, skill at arms, and stubbornness in the face of adversity, along with short, strong stature. The beard is just trappings, and mainly speaks of fantasy settings (with their emphasis on facial hair in general). I think this is actually one of the areas that PP did such a good job of re-imagining dwarves was the removal of beards almost entirely. Between that and having them not live below ground, it really makes it a little fresher.

So...if they were to revamp the archetype, I think good battle prowess, gear, and stubbornness, along with living only on their starships, etc.

The problem with that idea in 40k is that that is kind of what Space Marines are. Since all units move the same speed, you can't really make them slower. But the high S, T, BS/WS, and LD all seem dwarf to me.

Steakhouse
08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
I think this is actually one of the areas that PP did such a good job of re-imagining dwarves was the remove of beards almost entirely.

What does PP stand for?

Faultie
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
What does PP stand for?
Sorry - Privateer Press.

Dan-e
08-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Question - When did Space Marines (mostly Ultramarines) stop painting their Boltguns Red to Honor the Machine Spirits. Looking at the pictures in the 5th Ed Core rule book where they showcase the armies the guns are red, but in the 5th Ed Codex:SM they are black or Boltgun Metal... some random pics still have red ones but i would say its less then 2% of them that do.

person person
08-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Overlook by GW. My guess

Forhekset
08-16-2009, 04:27 AM
They paint them red specifically for that reason? I didn't know that.

Colours do change over time, for some reason. Blood Angels used to have gold/yellow chest eagles with yellow and black warning stripes on their weapons sometimes. Now the chest is black/grey.

Also the trim on their shoulders seem to change at almost random. Took me ages to seek out as many pictures as I could and finally arrive at red trim as the official colouring :P

Unfortunately GW overlook quite afew "minor" details like that. Like in the latest Chaos codex, they took old pictures of certain named renegade chapters and gave them new names. So now the Warp Ghosts are now the Deathmongers, and The Damned Company of Lord Caustos is the Night Stalkers.

Trivial, really, but annoying nonetheless.

Andrew283
08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
The trim on the shoulder Pauldron's indicates what company in the chapter they are in

Emperorsmercy
08-18-2009, 05:07 AM
The Tyranids just seem to be GW's get out clause... if they want to get rid of something, they just get the nids to eat it. Useful.

Third question- When the Eldar god of the dead comes back, and he kills Slannesh, what would happen to all his gifts?Daemon Princes/Stuff Ect. Would it just pop out of existence?

Duke
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
One would hope that all the gifts/ princes would go poof! My only worry is that when Slannesh dies then there will be a power void which can only be filled by Tzeentch, Khorne, or Nurgle. Sure Slannesh is gone, but the other three will be stronger, oops.

Duke