PDA

View Full Version : Help me Build a 5th edition Spave Marine List

irishoneall
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey I am new to this forum. I have been playing 40k on and off for a very long time. I have not yet played with the latest 5th edition rules and I want to build a Space Marine list using any of the space marine codex's (space marines, wolves, black temps, blood angles) out there. I used to run Blood Angles and I have not gotten the new codex.

What I would like to do is put out a loose list of the item's I have and get some sample lists from you guys. Lists between 1500 and 2000pts would be nice. When I used to play everyone usually ran 1500pts but I hear that has changed to 1750 to 2000 these days. Since the new 5th edition is mostly objective based I was thinking about having a mobile army. I also have much love for troops and most of my lists are troop heavy.

I also live in Austin and I keep hearing the best place to play is Battle Forge. I also hear allot of those guys who play their run competitive tournament lists. So bearing all that in mind here is what I have.

Moderators I hope this is the correct forum for this thread if not sorry.

HQ

No special characters

3 Cap's
3 Chapalin's 2 with jump packs
1 terminator Librarian
Got plenty of Marines to make command squad or Honor Guard

Elites

5 terminators close combat 3 claws 2 thunder hammers
5 terminators 1 assault cannon storm bolters
1 Dreadnought with twin heavy bolters and missile launcher
1 Dreadnought with assault cannon
fast attack

over 30 assault marines all with jump packs
All sarges with power fists
10 death company with jump packs
2 land speeders with multi meltas

troops

over 50 tactical marines
plenty of special weapons and heavy weapons to go around
Also plenty of sarges with power fists and power weapons

4 rhinos
1 razorback (not built yet so I want ideas on weapons)

Heavy support

1 Land raider original weapon layout las cannons and heavy bolters
1 whirlwind
2 Predator's with auto cannon and heavy bolters

I will be buying a Vindicator and maybe another dreadnought. I also want another razorback but I have not used them yet in a battle so I don't know how they function. I know this is assault oriented due to my old blood angles list but I want a balanced force that can take all comers. I would love your list ideas and thanks.

Eusebius Rex
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Man, you got plenty of stuff to do some damage with!

Right now, it seems most SM players do mech list, so your Rhinos with 10 man squads, the LR with Assault termies and the Librarian + the Preds and whirlwind are not a bad idea. I like using Jump squad BA right now, and with your chappies and death company you have that option, too. Troop choice Assault squads with 2x melta guns in a rhino also seem pretty popular right now (BA codex only).

I recommend the Blood Angels codex because you are going to really like it and it is VERY similar to the SM codex. It is so similar that you can pretty much take any SM codex and almost point for point xfer it to Blood angels, with the BA being very slighty more expensive (+15pts per rhino, as an example, but most are the same). the BA Codex is just more flexible and some choices are pointed better - like devastators. But it really is like they just copy/pasted 90% of the SM codex and all its cool parts and dropped them into the BA codex, then added fast vehicles, uber dreads that are really mean and Descent of Angels, which is the greatest rule ever. I've seen Ultramarine types running thier list with the BA codex and it really isn't that crazy - you wouldn't know it until they move thier razorbacks 12" and fire

Also, I'm in the Austin area too and I concur with BFG being a great starting place though Dragon's Lair is another place, but I mostly like BFG.

I'm pretty new to 40k (started FoW years ago), but I'd recommend going to the Austin Miniature Minions forum for picking up local games - http://blacklotusarts.com/forum/index.php

A lot of the guys that run BoLS are on there (BFG too) and I think all are pretty approachable.

irishoneall
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks I will get the BA Codex and take a look. My main concern is the BA Codex was purely one sided and you could not have a balanced force. I am assuming that assault marines can be taken as troops and the rhino's still have the super charged engine's.

I kind of wanted to build this army around scoring units and my initial idea was to have three full tactical squads in rhino's and start there.

With the BA Codex I assume I could easily use assault squads instead. My main concern with marine armies is low numbers so I like to put at least 40-60 basic marines (including tac, dev, assault marines) out there before support HQ and such.

Tynskel
04-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Since you used to play the boys n' red, I TOTALLY recommend picking up the new dex. Lots of fun stuff n' there, especially for long time BA players.

I like whatchya got-- you could build just about anything with what you have.

The new rules push the Blood Angels in the 'in ya face' marines. However, they are still mostly a codex chapter.

A good start would be to try to make a salt n' pepper list: a little bit of everything- since you can.

One real fun thing is that the Land Raider is now just a dedicated transport- so any squad you have can take it!

I suggest starting with:
Libby in terminator armor with Terminator squad.
Chappy with jump pack
a squad of Death Co. (nothing too large, they can get expensive fast!)
An assault squad to fly support with DC.
A tactical squad in the Razorback with teleport homer for your terminators! (the rhino/predator chassis are all FAST)
Maybe twin assault cannons on the Razorback
Then flush out a tactical squad in a Land Raider (it can deep strike!)
Hv Support:
Take the Hellfire Dread, whirlwind (it is FAST!) and a pred destructor.

That should be approx. ~1850-2000 points right there.

Eusebius Rex
04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
With the BA Codex I assume I could easily use assault squads instead. My main concern with marine armies is low numbers so I like to put at least 40-60 basic marines (including tac, dev, assault marines) out there before support HQ and such.

Ok, that will probably a bit fluffy, but there is still some of that in Austin.

here's an idea that will give you a LOT of your boots on the ground:

Jump Captain + Pfist

Jump Chaplain + Melta Bomb (eilite choice)

3x of these:
10x Tac Squad - Sgt Pfist, Meltagun, Lascannon, HeavyBolter Razorback
(will take some minor conversion of your Rhinos - use the TL Heavy Bolter from your Land Raider, ect)

2x of these:
10x Assault squad - Pfist, 2x Meltagun, 1x infernus pistol

Devastator Squad - 4x Missle Launchers and a TL Lascannon Razorback

Predator with Autocannon and TL HvyBolter
Whirlwind with extra armor.

Should be 2k pts spot on. You have 9 Melta weapons, 10 scoring units (combat squads), 6 Pfist, 4 Lascannons, 4 misslelaunchers, 5 templates generating weapons, and 5 TL heavybolters for mo dakka. Also, you can change out the Razorback TL Hvybolters for TL HvyFlamers. Your mobile firesupport elements can move on and fire easily since they are fast vehicles.