PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Or Hobby

crazyredpraetorian
08-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Some people prefer relaxed friendly hobby lists and others prefer the competitive WAAC list(although most won't admit it:D). Still other groups play friendly games with cut throat list and side order of cheese. What category do you fall under? What is your favorite kind of game Heavy or Hobby, Friendly or Competitive

Slann
08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I like both , I like to grab a few beers and run some fun themed lists , but I also like to go to tournaments and take names .

Drunkencorgimaster
08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Friendly is the key. It is okay to get your teeth kicked in on the tabletop, as long as you are having fun. Does anyone actually like powerplayers?

The Green Git
08-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I like 'em all at various times... IF I know what I'm getting into.

Ard Boyz is fine if we all know what we are getting into. I have just as much fun at an RTT game that promotes painting and fluff.

Key here I think is for TO to convey the ground rules of the event up front and as completely and clearly as possible.

Ferro
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I love my hobby games, cause I can really 'hobby' it up. Biovores, extra lictors, no MC's, loads and loads of guants... it's fun. But it's also really subjective.

I appreciate the comfort of knowing what's expected from a heavy tournament. You bring the hard stuff. Done. Everyone has a different idea about what's hobby and what's not... but the hard stuff defines itself. It's so straightforward. I KNOW when I've got a hard list.

crazyredpraetorian
08-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I like 'em all at various times... IF I know what I'm getting into.

Ard Boyz is fine if we all know what we are getting into. I have just as much fun at an RTT game that promotes painting and fluff.

Key here I think is for TO to convey the ground rules of the event up front and as completely and clearly as possible.

That is exactly how I feel about it. I like all the listed versions, as long as I know what to expect. I have no problem losing and have been on the losing end of some extremely fun games. I just can't stand to feel like I got cheated out of a win.

warpcrafter
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I like themed armies, or failing that somebody trying a strange combination just to see what happens.

Chumbalaya
08-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I like both , I like to grab a few beers and run some fun themed lists , but I also like to go to tournaments and take names .

This.

ChaosLord127
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Themed lists are fun, but I would definately say friendly heavy, The look of my friend's faces when I utterly crush their army with only losing 1 or 2 models is priceless.

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Freindly Heavy is where its at!!!! Ill take a bath in that delicious nacho cheese anyday!!!(Phrase was coined during a freindly Heavy game)

ChaosLord127
08-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Ill take a bath in that delicious nacho cheese anyday!!!(Phrase was coined during a freindly Heavy game)

Pfft, it's all about the cheddar man, nacho cheese is nothing compared to cheddar, or even worse *shudder* Munster cheese

Aldramelech
08-08-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't understand people who take the game itself so seriously, this ain't no sport, no one is going to make **** loads of cash and become world famous because they won the tournament at the Newton Bum**** gamers open day.

This is supposed to be fun with a capitol 'F'.

Herald of Nurgle
08-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Friendly/Hobby. As much as people may complain about my army being pure cheese, I make it a point that any units in the army must fit two requirements:
- Sacred Number
- Mark of Nurgle
Past that, who really cares. My first nurgle list was 49 models.

warpcrafter
08-08-2009, 03:00 PM
The gaming group at my FLGS is a mix of tournament hardcases and clueless noobs, so I don't try to make a list for either extreme. Usually I center around whatever I've just painted, using my battlewagons as fire-magnets. Every army list needs at least one good solid fire-magnet.

CrusherJoe
08-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Hmm...though I still think the "hobby vs. heavy" concept is is more a local thing (Austin being the only place I know that actually has "Heavy" and "Hobby" tournaments -- and yes, I love BattleForge Games!) I think people know what we're talking about Just be glad you didn't read through pages and pages of debate that arose from the desire to define just exactly what made a list "heavy"...anyway, I digress.

When it comes to gaming, I'd say I prefer friendly, heavy games. I think I learn more about the game that way (I feel that the only way to truly learn this game is to take the holistic approach). Case in point: I'll never forget the night Thomas (you know him as GoatboyBBMA from BoLS) game me a little demo of his then-new nob bikers list. I was tabled in 2 1/2 turns. The other side of that is I'll never forget the night I had to lay my *****ery about nob bikers down after almost tabling an army that fielded them.

You play, you learn. You lose, you think, you think some more and you play some more. Eventually you'll "get it", or at least come close (I'm still learning, and have no shame admitting that). Oh, and my two new mottoes for playing: "Stop whining," and, "If it's in your book, take it." I had to learn and apply the first one to myself before I could appreciate the second. :)

Hades Alpha
08-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Friendly heavy is my answer.

I play to win. To win is my fun.

However, not at all cost. Not at the cost of my opponent fun. I always give the benefit of doubt. If my opponent unit is 6.5 inch. away and want to charge, I'll give him that. If my vicotry whas 0.5 inch away, I didn't play good enough.

If my opponent make a huge mistake, I'll tell him right away. I like to be challenged and don't like when victory is handed to me.

If I see that y opponent doesn't enjoy the game anymore, I'll try something stupid or expose myself so he can hit back.

Mustakrakish
08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I voted for friendly/hobby.
I love playing lists with a theme.

There are too many players in my region only trying to maximize their lists and powergame.
They are debating about every single inch and all rules...
But if the rules are in the way of having a fun gam, I don't care on single inches.

Dingareth
08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
We play friendly/heavy down here. At the same time though, we play by the rules. If you're 6.5" away, then you can't charge, sorry. I've had victories come down to that half inch, and lost by half an inch just as many time.

We're not *****, we just all play at a very literal level to keep things fair across the board. If you know that your opponent isn't going to limit himself, why limit yourself in regard to list building. Some people try to re-balance the game with restrictions and what not, but down here everyone just plays to the best of their abilities with the best list they can come up with.

Lord Sandwich
08-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Mixed. I can switch among any of them, depending on the situation and what people want to play. But in the end, I guess it's all about the hobby itself.

entendre_entendre
08-08-2009, 07:27 PM
honestly, i like either 'heavy' or 'hobby' depending on how i'm feeling, but to me the games should always be friendly. i think of 40k as a social game (as you need an opponent) so if someone wants to be a darsh, i will not play them as i'm there to have fun. i don't mind losing, as long as it's fun.:)

Kahoolin
08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd just like to note that out of all the votes so far, the (fairly large) majority have been for "friendly" of one sort or another. That's not what people play, it's what they prefer.

I find it strange that such a large proportion of the advice and content on WH&40K internet forums is from the assumed standpoint that you want to win more than anything and are going for tournament style efficiency. At least in my experience anyway. I know at least one forum I've abandoned because no-one wanted to talk about anything but winning combos and mercilessly tear down people's unit/army choices as being inefficient. Could this be a case of the vocal minority making us forget the silent majority?

GW always says that they aim they games at friendly players and not tournament players. Maybe they know what they are doing after all?