PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Front/Rear.

iamaddj
07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
An interesting question has arisen about monsters in WoTR. Monsters are all mounted on either round or (in only a few small cases) Oval bases. Due to this Monsters all have a 360 sight arc. It does not however state that monsters do not have a front/side/rear. According to the basic rules monsters should have these. How on a round base do you determine front/side/rear? Or should monsters just not have these?

Discuss.....

Jwolf
07-25-2009, 08:01 AM
I say monsters have front and rear based on the monsters' orientation on the table, but have 360 arc of sight and can react to face the first charge they receive each turn. So to get a rear attack on a monster, you have to hit him from 2 different 180s.

Bulwark
07-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I disagree, every direction is 'front' to a monster. With their round, or even oval bases, it's too arbitrary to do it any other way.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
07-31-2009, 11:38 PM
I disagree, every direction is 'front' to a monster. With their round, or even oval bases, it's too arbitrary to do it any other way.

Not really. There is two 180 degree arcs as Jwolf said, the rear arc and the front arc. If the formation charges from the rear arc u attack from the rear, if the formation attacks where these two arcs meet its at the side, the front arc at the the front.

I don't think which way the model is facing at the time of the charge is arbitrary at all. You just use your senses to see which it is. For a monster not to ever be able to be charged from the rear is a ridiculous notion.

iamaddj
08-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Not really. There is two 180 degree arcs as Jwolf said, the rear arc and the front arc. If the formation charges from the rear arc u attack from the rear, if the formation attacks where these two arcs meet its at the side, the front arc at the the front.

I don't think which way the model is facing at the time of the charge is arbitrary at all. You just use your senses to see which it is. For a monster not to ever be able to be charged from the rear is a ridiculous notion.

What about flanks? ALL formations according to the rule book have a front, a rear and two flanks. Too take away flanks is just as arbitrary as anything else.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-01-2009, 12:54 AM
What about flanks? ALL formations according to the rule book have a front, a rear and two flanks. Too take away flanks is just as arbitrary as anything else.

But I did include flanks in my description. Where the two arcs meet. I described it as "side" perhaps that was a technical faux pas.

Dáin Ironfoot
08-12-2009, 05:44 PM

I agree. That is the way to explain it to me. It would make no sense if they didn't have a rear or flanks. DkoR is right in my opinion.

onewhois
04-11-2010, 02:56 AM
It says in the rulebook that "troops are only able to see, and therefore shoot or charge, enemies to their front", and as monsters have 360 arc of sight, they must only have a front for game purposes.