PDA

View Full Version : Is Lukas Bastonne John Basilone

Tynskel
05-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed before...

But is Lukas Bastonne John Basilone-- the MoH and Navy Cross recipient? Their Stories seem very similar...

Just how Creed is Gen. Patton and Pask is probably Rommel.

Lord Inquisitor
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
No, I think Basilone would be more like Harker. Bastonne always reminds of Bastogne, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne.

DarkLink
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
No, I think Basilone would be more like Harker. Bastonne always reminds of Bastogne, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne.

GySgt Harker comes right out of Vietnam, not WWI/II era where Basilone is from, and which Bastonne is modeled after. I feel that overcomes Harker and Basilone's shared propensity for heavy weapons, personally.

Tynskel
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
harker comes not from vietnam, but from the Twin Governor movie: Predator

runs around with a mini-gun! And the squad members were all elite jungle fighters, fighting a vicious alien!

Tynskel
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM

If you read the citations for Basilone's Medal of Honor (a medal with five point stars- very similar to Bastonne's five point star, the highest award the imperium can grant) and for the Navy Cross, a lot of the highlights for Bastonne's story fit the descriptions.

RocketRollRebel
05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Interesting theory (I've been watching the Pacific too! :D). Bastonne is an awesome char and I made a Vostroyan version who I sadly don't use enough.

Tynskel
05-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Interesting theory (I've been watching the Pacific too! :D). Bastonne is an awesome char and I made a Vostroyan version who I sadly don't use enough.

Watching 'The Pacific' is making me want to make an all infantry guard army--- well, mostly guard infantry with maybe 2 or three tanks (like a hellhound and a Leman Russ.)

Lots of mortars, autocannons/heavy bolters, and flamers!

Lord Azaghul
05-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Watching 'The Pacific' is making me want to make an all infantry guard army--- well, mostly guard infantry with maybe 2 or three tanks (like a hellhound and a Leman Russ.)

Lots of mortars, autocannons/heavy bolters, and flamers!

I only saw the first eposide on the free preview thingy( Mustwait for DVD release), but I know you mean. Every time I watch Band of Brother or We Were Soldiers, and want to go back to painting and building IG - Horray for Jump troops!

DarkLink
05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I wish they put the Pacific online so I could watch it:(. I don't have hbo.

Tynskel
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
you could probably torrent it--- not that I WOULD do such a thing...

wait, did I emphasize that wrong...

Denzark
05-05-2010, 10:49 AM

But is Lukas Bastonne John Basilone-- the MoH and Navy Cross recipient? Their Stories seem very similar...

Pask would be more like Wittmann - if Maximillian Weismann wasn't clearly supposed to be him.

Tynskel
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Pask would be more like Wittmann - if Maximillian Weismann wasn't clearly supposed to be him.

I just looked up wittman-- Pask is VERY similar.

RocketRollRebel
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
you could probably torrent it--- not that I WOULD do such a thing...

wait, did I emphasize that wrong...

Nor I. I pay good money for my HBO... yes...

With that tho I doubt they are connected. I mean the names are kinda similar but only kinda and Bastonne's awesome fluff doesn't really remind me of the actual person John Basilone.

Also the series is getting me stoked to play FoW and wish they had a pacific book. Got some WW1 documentarys with a focus on the Easter Front in some episodes that get me painting my IG :p

LadasN
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Huh, Creed as Patton, never thought of that. He always looked to me like Winston Churchill; just saying.

rustbucket
05-23-2010, 04:13 PM
DarkLink, The Pacific is definitely a show which you need to watch before you go to Quantico for OCS. Would recommend reading "With The Old Breed At Peliliue And Okinawa" - will give you a greater appreciation for the trails that you'll be running while there!

Semper Fi

RogueGarou
05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, there are many 40k characters and ideas based on other fictional and real-life characters. I heard a friend mention the link between Bastonne and Basilonne the day after the new IG Codex came out. I had not heard the Creed link before. I can kind of see a similarity to Patton but given that Creed was what would be called a Mustang, coming into the officer ranks from enlisted, I am sure he reminds me of another general or two but I can't put my finger on it and have not had time to look it up.

Some other character inspirations include Colonel Schaeffer and his Last Chancers. Fairly obvious that they are based on the Dirty Dozen and Major Reisman. Cypher the Fallen is based on Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name western characters from the old Spaghetti Western genre (see A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, High Plains Drifter, and Pale Rider as examples). I know there were others but they escape me at the moment. A lot of the older fluff was easier to pick out than some of the newer stuff. An example in the artwork and minis would be the old Catachan Captain with powerfist and autogun looking very much like Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator and/or Commando (check out the illustration in the 2E IG Codex).

Lots of stuff in the 40k fluff is based on real life events, whether taking a name or inspiration from some actual event. The Council of Nikea jumps out at me since I finished A Thousand Sons a couple of weeks ago. There are lots of others and it is sometimes pretty cool to see the link between the 40k fluff and the real world or other fictional universes.

TSINI
05-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Huh, Creed as Patton, never thought of that. He always looked to me like Winston Churchill; just saying.

I'd say Creed was Winston Churchill,

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1241725_99060105162_IGUrsarkerKellmain_873x627.jp g

The cigar and his short squad stature are dead give aways

http://tametheblackdog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/churchill.jpg

compared to General Patton

http://arthurseverythingblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/general-george-s-patton.jpg

Grailkeeper
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Never thought of Creed as Patton- he does have the trade mark pair of pistols though( if not as fancy as pattons)

Lord Solar Macharius is very clearly based on Alexander the Great.

Quick edit-
I think Creed is more pragmatic than Patton and less interested in his own image.

Grubnar
06-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Never thought of Creed as Patton- he does have the trade mark pair of pistols though( if not as fancy as pattons)

Lord Solar Macharius is very clearly based on Alexander the Great.

Quick edit-
I think Creed is more pragmatic than Patton and less interested in his own image.

Although Greed is clearly influenced by Patton (we need to apeal the the US market!) he and Kell remind me of Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov, and Konstantin Rokossovsky.

thelonegrif
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Marbo is defiantly a guard version of Rambo
Mogul Kamir is definably Attila the Hun