PDA

View Full Version : An Uncanny Resemblance

Spirit Leech
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Is it just me or has anyone ever looked at nerf guns and thought that they were strikingly similar to 40k weapons.

http://momsloveshopping.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dsc_3805.jpg
My first exitus rifle

Sir Biscuit
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Oversize? Check. Absurd design considerations? Check. Weird "themed" weapons? Check.

I've run 'round with a Maverick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Strike#Maverick_REV-6) before pretending it was a bolt pistol. Something so huge and satisfying about that gun...

Melissia
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
You mean sci-fi style guns look similar to sci-fi style guns?

Duke
05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe they should change their slogan to "it's nerf, or botlgun".or gw could change to "in the grim darkness of the far future there is only nerf"

duke

fuzzbuket
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
well if you remodeld it with plasticard then repainted it....wait if i coverd a benie-baby in plassticard i could make it look like a boltgun...or i could make one out of plasticard. :P

BTW i was at a hunting lodge last weekend (sadly in the uk you cant use guns :( ) and found some shells and a stick, i thought..BOLTGUN (my llocal GW has a pulse rifle (or the tau pistol thing) and itd be fun to run round gw with a gun (pretend) shooting the blue****s :P )

sadly i lost the stick :(

Schnitzel
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
BTW i was at a hunting lodge last weekend (sadly in the uk you cant use guns :( ) and found some shells and a stick, i thought..BOLTGUN (my llocal GW has a pulse rifle (or the tau pistol thing) and itd be fun to run round gw with a gun (pretend) shooting the blue****s :P )

You can't use guns!? You guys must have like zero crime there then! :O
*end random troll*

Speaking of Nerf, there's a pretty cool place in Cinci, Ohio called Nerf Wars or something like that... I'm not sure the specifics, but apparently it's pretty popular with the Uni Cinci students. :P

DarkLink
05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh, yeah, well check this out:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/23/toy-chainsaw-nerf-gun-time-diy-gears-of-war-gun/

Denzark
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
*end random troll*

Speaking of Nerf, there's a pretty cool place in Cinci, Ohio called Nerf Wars or something like that... I'm not sure the specifics, but apparently it's pretty popular with the Uni Cinci students. :P

Ha Ha as well you know Mr Jarheaded Leatherneck we have shed loads - and neither do we have the privilege of killing our criminals (which is a shame because re-offending rates after a death sentence are somewhere around 0% I believe).

OT The maverick looks like a weapon Eisenhorn has on one of the covers. The posted picture doesn't remind me of much.

DarkLink
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
*end random troll*

At least, that's what liberals would like to think:rolleyes::p

If only it were true, then Washington DC wouldn't be murder capital USA.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
BTW i was at a hunting lodge last weekend (sadly in the uk you cant use guns :( )

I don't think it cuts down on crime at all. I asked my roomate about gun bans in big cities in Europe like London and his response was "It just means there are more stabbings in London. But it's OK, people in London have been stabbing each other for thousands of years. It's like a tradition."

I live in the American South, so in addition to playing with tiny plastic guns, I actually have one (she is a Double-Barrelled 12 gauge named "Suzy"). Her title is "the destroyer of soda bottles and the staunch defender against racist rednecks". When you live on the wrong side of the boondocks and anyone over 18 can buy a gun from Wal-Mart, what's a skinny art student to do?:cool:

DarkLink
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think it cuts down on crime at all. I asked my roomate about gun bans in big cities in Europe like London and his response was "It just means there are more stabbings in London. But it's OK, people in London have been stabbing each other for thousands of years. It's like a tradition."

Funnily enought, in America gun crime rates are highest in heavily urbanized areas, and lower in rural areas.

On the other hand, gun ownership is much higher in rural areas than in cities.

There's no real correlation, and especially no causation, between gun ownership rates and gun crime rates.

But this isn't really the place to go into political issues.

Fellend
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
"There's no real correlation, and especially no causation, between gun ownership rates and gun crime rates." yes there is. You just have to seperate the random shootings from the planned ones. The planned ones happen anyway. Because lets face it, if they want someone dead they'll find a way to do it.
The unplanned ones however tend to disappear with worse gun-control.

More importantly the amount shame behind the crime is directly related to the our willingness to perform it (Japan and Italy being the prime examples of this: Where violent crimes are alot less but embezzlement and simular crimes are alot more frequent (Seriously, japanese doesn't even have a word for mugging. Not like someone is going to embezzle you on the street)
I Digress. My point is that if you allow guns you are removing the shame of the crime and making it more justified.
And to make this a warhammer related post. Look at the Imperium, everyone gets encouraged to use guns and then there was nothing but war. Yeah... thinly veiled political message right there,

BuFFo
05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Really guys, gun control?

Can a Mod move this OFF the 40k Boards and into the trash can?

Fellend
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Really guys, gun control?

Can a Mod move this OFF the 40k Boards and into the trash can?

Personally I believe in an intergalactic ban on all non-imperial weapons.

DarkLink
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, and I'm not even quite sure what message he's trying to get across. I'll just go ahead and reiterate myself:

This isn't the place for political discussion. Offhand comments are one thing, actual back and forth is another. If this isn't going to keep on a 40k topic, then there's no reason for it to be in 40k general. Internet politics only bring flame wars, so keep on topic. Otherwise, the thread should be shut down.

BuFFo
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Anyone else got some hilarious pics of real world toys posing as 40k weaponry?

Sangre
05-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Just to say, to try to avert the impending flamewar, I'd just like to say that firearms ownership in the UK is not simply a blanket ban, but merely that it is very highly regulated and more complicated than a lot of people might expect, with an emphasis on security and safety.

DarkLink
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/014/5/f/40k_LARP_weapons_by_Dezelith.jpg

Heh, here's some 40k LARP weapons I found on google images. I recognize the topmost three, or at least parts of them.

Yeah, firearm bans aren't doing too well in the US. Concealed carry licenses have been getting more and more wide-spread. Virtually all 50 states are now shall-issue. Plus, the Supreme Court struck down Washington DC's handgun ban as unconstitutional, and will probably do the same with the Chicago handgun ban. Actually, the Chicago ban isn't even about the constitutionality of handgun bans. It's all about what authority city government has, and how it relates to the constitution.

CrusherJoe
05-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Agreed, discussion of gun control is definitely far off-topic.

Off to the Oubliette with this.