PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnought Conversion

Le Scriv
08-08-2009, 04:13 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to show my latest and probably biggest conversion yet. It's certainly not anything special especially compared to some of the awesome conversions around but I do love it because of how cheap it was.

I've turned the AoBR dreadnought (AU$20 from ebay - you could maybe get it much cheaper?) into an Ironclad with a little plasticard and some bitz. It did take a fair bit of effort though mostly because of the amount of cutting required to 'free' the very static dreadnought.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/3799881575_e582a6cbed.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/furious-angel/3799881575/)

2dØpe
08-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Love it! Especially the plasticard work

Now get some paint slapped on it!

Zigmunth
08-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Looks awesome mate! Paint it well and it will be briliant! I love the pose...

Súil Dubh
08-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Is that the shoulder logo on the knee? If so, nice trim job.

Great looking base as well.

vman
08-08-2009, 08:26 AM
ummmm thats nuts

Kudos for the effort i think it turned out fantastic !!!!

im still shocked its a conversion it looks legit

daggitkiller
08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Great job. That's one of the best converted ironclads I've seen, and from AOBR... :eek:

Slann
08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Agreed , very cool .

emperorsaxe
08-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Very well done conversion, looks aces. I agree lets see it painted. :)
Respects, Emperorsaxe

Aldramelech
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I'll be doing much the same thing, Got a AOBR dreadnought on ebay for £3 and have been picking up bits ever since. I'm going to make the weapons interchangeable to cut down cost.

CrusherJoe
08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Very impressive conversion -- you nailed the look of the Ironclad, I had to re-read what you said about it bieng an AoBR dread. And that pose is great -- finally a dread that looks like he's really moving!

Le Scriv
08-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Is that the shoulder logo on the knee? If so, nice trim job.

Great looking base as well.

That was a good catch! It is the shoulder logo. I needed to put on the extra armour and it would have been a shame to waste it so I did my best slicing it off. It's not perfect but with a little paint it should look like it's always been there! :)

Le Scriv
08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I'll be doing much the same thing, Got a AOBR dreadnought on ebay for £3 and have been picking up bits ever since. I'm going to make the weapons interchangeable to cut down cost.

That's a very good deal!

If you're interested in the weapons above:

- The hurricane bolter arm was made from some spare bolters, spare Rhino hatch doors and some plasticard. Add a few details here and there and it looks pretty convincing.
- The seismic hammer was made from some melta bombs and other spare bits.

Very cheap!!

HammerofVaul
08-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Beautiful conversion! a great balance of original while not being over-the-top.

Aldramelech
08-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Excellent model. Ive managed to pick up the hurricane storm bolter for £1.50 but the other weapons and arms seem to be getting more and more expensive. Perhaps you've started a trend! lol

Morat
08-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Supreme job, looks far nicer than the usual static standard Dread.

What have you used for the Seismic hammer? Some parts look pretty familiar, but I can't really place the palm of the hand.

I'll echo the previous poster regarding moving the shoulder logo to the leg. Great knife work!

Le Scriv
08-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Supreme job, looks far nicer than the usual static standard Dread.

What have you used for the Seismic hammer? Some parts look pretty familiar, but I can't really place the palm of the hand.

I'll echo the previous poster regarding moving the shoulder logo to the leg. Great knife work!

I used the standard close combat arm from the AoBR dreadnought but cut off the powerfist. Then I used something that would fill in a center 'block' i suppose... it was the end of a large Whirlwind missile. 4 Melta bombs with their handles cut off were then put around said missile end.

The melta bombs are what pulls it off I think, the rest can just be whatever bits you have spare that fit the space.

krispy
08-10-2009, 05:27 AM
that was really nicely done, thanks for sharing ;)

now i know what to aim for when im converting an aobr dread for the same purpose hehe

Mork
08-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Sciv,
What a great job you've done on that dread...I realy like the dynamic look of the minature. Keep up the great work!

Skeletay
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I can usually tell right away what the original model was, but you totally fooled me. That looks almost exactly like a real Ironclad! Great work!

Dosadi
08-10-2009, 09:04 AM
That is excellent work!
I'd love afew shots of the bent left leg. How and where did you cut it to reposition it?

Dosadi

oni
08-10-2009, 10:17 AM
That's pretty sweet.

Le Scriv
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
That is excellent work!
I'd love afew shots of the bent left leg. How and where did you cut it to reposition it?

Dosadi

Ah, sorry I totally missed your post!

Hmm I'll try and get some shots soon if you're still interested. Where did I cut it? ... best to show in pictures If I can get decent ones. It wasn't too bad though I have to say. I ended up using a paper clip cutting to form a hinge where there would usually be in the leg. That way I could pretty much position it anyway I wanted.

person person
08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
That is AWESOME.

I love the fist and lower leg plating.

Le Scriv
07-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Could it have taken longer? I've had this thing sat on my desk for months and months. I've been trying to paint my way back to a clear desk lately so here is the finished Dreadnought. The photo doesn't actually do the model justice I reckon :(

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4759374435_45a57ec000_b.jpg

Apologies for late update and re-opening of an old thread!