PDA

View Full Version : Planetstrike Queries

imperialsavant
08-08-2009, 04:18 AM
:confused: Two members of our games Club & myself played a trial game of Planetstrike today & found it raised a number of serious queries.
1) The rule on p11 states "once the defender--snip-- the attacker chooses which table edge is nearest his drop zone" However there is no instruction we could find to tell you how to choose your Drop Zone, how large it is/can be & how far from the Defender it must be. This raised a query from one of the boys, could he in fact deploy inside the Defenders deployment area without deep striking by coming in from a table edge that was inside of the Defenders area if it was close to the Drop Zone & on the Table edge closest to the Drop Zone .

2) Can you destroy the Aegis Defence lines by Shooting & if so what is their Armour Strength & how much would/could you destroy (Size of Template?, 1 section by single shot?, Firestorm etc?)

3) If you deep strike & straddle the Defence Line what would happen? Do you just land each side or take a Differcult/dangerious terrain test?

4) Do the Aegis Defence Lines cound as Difficult Terrain if you wish to cross them?

There were other anomalies but we just applied the normal 40K rule book rules although the Planetstrike book does not say to use them.

Look forward to your thoughts

Regards Barry H.

Herald of Nurgle
08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
1) No comment

2) I count them as Barricades, which are insta killed by Firestorm. Armour 9, I believe?

3) Dangerous Terrain, and deploy as possible

4) I would count them as an obstacle... so yeah.

Just my 1p

Valdore
08-08-2009, 03:27 PM
1) No comment

2) I count them as Barricades, which are insta killed by Firestorm. Armour 9, I believe?

3) Dangerous Terrain, and deploy as possible

4) I would count them as an obstacle... so yeah.

1) The drop zone is picked by the attacker after the defender has deployed, it is a table edge, similar to a deployment zone except that because they are coming on from reserves you deploy at the table edge then move. It is possible to come on from the enemy's side, but that's what one of the strategems is for :)

2) We count them as armour 12, can't remember if they're in the book at all, any glancing or penetrating hit destroys them, things like firestorm templates hit all under at full strength.

3) As above

4) I believe there is somewhere in the book, possibly in the aegis defence line section ;) about this, but we say 3" on a difficult terrain test gets you over. But by then you really should have punched a hole through them :)

Our takes on the rules :)

Inquisitor Hate Machine
08-08-2009, 03:28 PM
the DZ is the area "off board" where you're reserves are coming in and that is the table edge they will come on from.

imperialsavant
08-08-2009, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Valdore;5946]1) The drop zone is picked by the attacker after the defender has deployed, it is a table edge, similar to a deployment zone except that because they are coming on from reserves you deploy at the table edge then move. It is possible to come on from the enemy's side, but that's what one of the strategems is for :)

:) O.K. so assuming the Defender has placed his Deployment Defence line across a short edge & approx 24" in how far can the attacker bring on his Tanks etc from the Defenders Zone on one of the 2 choices of Table Edge that is part of the Defenders Zone if he does not use the Stratigum??

Should it be 12" away as per 40k rules for set up or can he virtually bring them in alongside the Aegis Lines.

It seems to me he should be at least some distance from the Defender. Different if he is Deep Striking troops etc.:confused:

Nabterayl
08-09-2009, 01:52 AM
The entire table is the defender's deployment zone. The attacker doesn't have a deployment "zone" in the sense it seems you're thinking of; he has a deployment table edge.

Thus, for instance, if the defender sets up any units within 12" of the attacker's table edge, attacking units that come in from that table edge out of Reserve can absolutely come onto the table and charge those defenders on the turn they arrive from Reserve.

Valdore
08-09-2009, 04:21 AM
As Nabterayl said, when you are deploying troops that arrive at the drop zone rather than deep strike, you place them touching the board edge that you have designated, and then they can move as normal. So if the defender is within 12" they are going to be mauled, due to assault distances and fast vehicles. (Hence why I always take the strategem and set up on one of the short edges as defender ;))

If you think of it as similar to the dawn of war deployment when your extras arrive, it's the same, you just don't have anything on the board deployed as normal beforehand.

Hope that makes sense ;)

This might make more sense

________________________ Drop Zone Table Edge
______|______|
______|_Tank_|
______|______|
______----------
_________|
_________|
________\_/

That is how a tank would come on, in ASCII format :P

imperialsavant
08-09-2009, 05:04 AM
The entire table is the defender's deployment zone. The attacker doesn't have a deployment "zone" in the sense it seems you're thinking of; he has a deployment table edge.

Thus, for instance, if the defender sets up any units within 12" of the attacker's table edge, attacking units that come in from that table edge out of Reserve can absolutely come onto the table and charge those defenders on the turn they arrive from Reserve.

:confused:But "hang about" the defender dosent know which table edge the attacker is going to nominate as closest to his Drop Zone because the defender sets up first.
In the case I was describing the Defender deployed across a short table edge with his front Aegis Lines about 24" in from the edge & had the Defence lines wrap around in a semi circle back towards the short edge.
Does the attacker have a minumin distance he must deploy away from the Defenders Zone ? e.g. 12 "?

Barry H.:rolleyes:

Valdore
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Hmmm, just read through the planetstrike section on organising a battle, there is a paragraph in there in bold which reads:

Once the defender has set up his terrain, the attacker chooses which table edge is nearest to his drop zone.

Meaning I was wrong in one aspect, but it is still once the objectives have been chosen.

And no, there is no minimum distance, it is essentially showing that the tanks etc. that can't be deep struck directly into the battle have been dropped by transports a short distance away and driven to the battle. They don't deploy as such, they just reach their destination as such they arrive at the board edge which is their way of deploying if you could call it that, then they can move as normal. If the enemy is 6" away from your DZ board edge then they made a mistake or are luring you into a trap :)

And you are right that the defender doesn't know, when they're busy preparing a hasty defence and holing up ready for a firestorm, they have no idea where the enemy are going to drop those tanks off. The only thing they can do is prepare to repel them when they reach the battle, from wherever they come. That's the way we play it, if you play strictly by the rules, then I guess it's to simulate the fact that a fortress or other defended position is almost invariably permanent, therefore that has to be placed as if it were being built, then the attacker picks which direction they would attack it from. This lends itself to building centralized or completely enclosed defensive positions.