PDA

View Full Version : Background and stuff

grimmas
06-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Finally sat down and read Call Archaon and it's good, damn good. It's an excellent insight to how Chaos works in AoS. It's quite frankly the best thing I've read on Chaos in a long time. It really helps make Chaos champions protagonists in the story rather than cardboard cut out antagonists. Really good stuff.

The other (and possibly more important) thing is that Gav Thorpe did an interview on the most recent Heelanhammer pod cast. It's enlightening to say the least. First he explains what the "GW is a miniatures company" thing is really well. He also really gets into the AoS setting as well. I particularly liked how he described how echos of the World that Was occur in the realms with particular reference to the Kislevite feel to his novel Warbeast. Its well worth a listen.

Also human survivors outside the Sigmaron are very much a thing they appear in a number of publications Gates of Azyr, Godbeasts, Call of Archaon and Warbeast to name a few. Of course they are pockets of embattled survivors but they are survivors none the less. Of course this is in addition to Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth and the Death and Destruction Grand Alliances who are also still out and about in the Realms. Basically the Stormcast are not simply fighting for the sake of it but are indeed rescuing Sigmars followers (or rather what remains of them). Which is quite an important nuance to the whole setting.

Edit: Apologies a bit rambling but it's just what's been on my mind.

Mr Mystery
06-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Yup.

To be fair, the first couple of novels are a bit wobbly - probably not helped by the following two factors.

1. NEW! New new new new! WTF IS GOING ON!
2. Largely rehashed and fleshed out stuff covered in the gaming background books.

But Call of Archaon is superb. Imagine, Chaos Warriors with clear motivations that go well beyond 'BLARGHKILYOFERMAHGEHRD!!!!'.

I can particularly recommend this collection (http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-qu-re/aos-qr-collection.html)

grimmas
06-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Cheers bud I'll have a look. Really loving how Chaos is portrayed. There's been a bedding period with the background to be sure. I guess having been through it with 40K in the beginning I was expecting it.

On the subject on Chaos Warriors in the Gav interview he confirms that Space Marines were indeed an atempt to recreate the success of Third Ed Chaos warriors in a futuristic setting and that the Stormcast were an attempt to translate the Space Marines' success into fantasy. Which I found amusingly cyclical

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Sounds interesting, hope we get to see some of these human cultures in model form.