PDA

View Full Version : GK 1500 virgin list

dvs1
05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I never got to play with a new dex since 5th came out, and am looking forward to the update sometime in the near future. Until then, I was thinking about trying my hand to what I got, and get my feet wet so to speak. This is my first attempt at a theoryhammer GK list, mainly to get me situated with the general feel for the army. I realize this will all change by the end of the year, but at least I'll (hopefully) have a good chunk of the army fleshed out and ready to go. Anyways, heres the list:
Hq
GKBC- combi melta, holocaust

Elites
GKT-x3 (including BC)- combi flamer,incinerator

GKT-x3 (including BC)- combi flamer, incinerator

Troops
PAGKx5 (including justicar)- x2 incinerators, meltabombs, teleport homer

PAGKx5 (including justicar)- x2 incinerators, meltabombs, teleport homer

Fast Attack
PAGKx5 (including justicar)- x2 incinerators

Heavy Support
LR- extra armour

LR- extra arour

Tactica

Ideally, my two LRs will ferry my two PAGK squads to either a flank, orpounce an isolated section of my opponents army. Using them as a giant AV14 wall to block LOS when my reserves start arriving. I keep the BC as a lone IC so when he comes down, he can nail his target of choice with the combi melta (armour, transports). Anything else that comes down hoses the units who just lost their transports (if any). Tank shocking units for incinerator template happiness is key also. Since the HQ BC has holocaust, in a perfect world he could deep strike in w/out scatter, blast something thin with his melta, and holocaust in the assault phase hopefully catching a bunch of guys of just lost their transport and are group hugging each other in a shallow crater. Of course that scenario will probably never happen,but it sounds ok in my head so its all good.

I realize that my lack of mobility/scoring units is gonna seriously hamstring my army right off the bat, so objective placement is gonna have to be spot on. I figure keeping a couple as close as possible, with an eye on terrain placement. Assuming I can use some terrain to block LOS as well as being able to funnel horde armies with the help of my moving AV14 walls, i can keep the ones I choose, and use my LRs( if they are still around late game), to be a scoring/contesting PAGKVU.

I'm desperately trying to keep this an all GK list, that being said ...suggestions?

eagleboy7259
05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't know why everyone shies away from =][= stormtroopers... I realize that GK Land Raiders are possibly the best Land Raiders in the game right now but still. Alright well heres the thing, you don't have nearly enough anti-tank for 1500pts. Basically what will be 2 TL lascannon shots and one chance at melta won't do it. Melta-Bombs are actually meh, at best IMOP. I realize that there are very few ways to get that in there for GK's at this point, and if that's the road you want to go thats completely fine, but it might be worthwhile to fit in 3x 5 Man =][= stormtroopers + rhino w/ armor & smoke for 128pts or 384pts total. It will round out your armor poping, give the opponent more armor values to deal with, and give you 3 more scoring units.

dvs1
05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
The reason I want to keep it exclusively GKs is because I want this to be a pre heresy army. I always wanted to build one, and this seemed togood to be true that GKs are soon to be redone. Basically, it would be a custodes army that counts as GKs. Not the most original idea I know, but I think it has potential. So going from there, you can see why I'm trying to keep it purely GK. Would dropping the Fast attack PAGK squad for a dread w/ twin-linked autocannon be effective? I realize it cannot keep up with the LRs, but would some lone backfield shooting be worth investing in? Maybe two?
Another alternative is to kit out the other BCs with combi meltas as well. I know their only 1 shot gambles, but i see few other alternatives...
Going slightly off topic, would it be theoretically possible to deep-strike my BC w/ teleport homers(assuming my opponents let me update their rules), melta a transport, then in the assault phase cast holocaust on the survivors? I think I read in the DH FAQ that holocaust follows rules for shooting or something in that vein. Holocaust does not work in the shooting phase, and is activated in the assault via psychic test. It does not mention that it replaces shooting, or is shooting for that matter anywhere else.