Interesting!

Cutter
06-15-2016, 05:51 AM
Interesting!

And a victory for common sense.

I might even start buying it again.

Mr Mystery
06-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Question is....where does this leave me with the sub I had for WD that transferred to WHM?

Cutter
06-15-2016, 05:59 AM
Question is....where does this leave me with the sub I had for WD that transferred to WHM?

You may have to inquire, I imagine they're not going to swapped it back automatically, if that's what you'd like, but they may be open to negotiation.

++++

"And if you’re already a subscriber to White Dwarf or Warhammer Visions, check your mail for news of an exclusive subscriber offer."

CoffeeGrunt
06-15-2016, 06:42 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic...

Mr Mystery
06-15-2016, 06:50 AM
Nice.

Quarterly sub costs me £9.00 at present, new one £12.50, so not a massive jump and I have saved a lot on WHM (nice enough read for the lavvy)

Erik Setzer
06-15-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed on this.

Their marketing speak is already annoying me, though. "Bigger and better than ever!" Okay, it does seem to have higher page count. But "better than ever?" Okay, so they're suddenly going to go back to interesting batreps, varied painting articles, how to make your own terrain, previews in advance of upcoming stuff, tactics talk, modeling ideas, new rules, cardstock inserts, and hardly any unnecessary and largely annoying space-wasting advertising?

I'll believe that when I see it.

It doesn't have to have all of that to be an improvement. But it just annoys me as much as when EA does their BS each year with Madden NFL where they talk up "new features" and, yet again this year, most of them are actually things they just took out of the game from prior editions. It's not a "better" game, it's just tacking on one new thing and bringing back a few of the things stripped out.

Sorry, I'm just tired of corporate buggery speak, and I want to be optimistic here, but they spent way too much time throwing out this weekly sales flyer they had the audacity to charge people for, and it's going to take some time to get over that (even if I got a lot of mine free because I'd just snag them as I was helping the manager take out the trash each week, out of a huge pile being just thrown away).

Cap'nSmurfs
06-15-2016, 08:33 AM
I'll be happy to have the articles and battle reports back - oh boy did I miss battle reports - but I've got to admit, I'll miss having a weekly hit of hobby, even if it is just lovely pictures.

Erik Setzer
06-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I'll be happy to have the articles and battle reports back - oh boy did I miss battle reports - but I've got to admit, I'll miss having a weekly hit of hobby, even if it is just lovely pictures.

Well, that's what a web site is for, and social media. They're also hiring an online content manager. If it wasn't for the double-whammy of having to move across the pond and likely being paid less than I am now, I'd totally sign up, since it's pretty much what I'm doing now, only with the added benefit that I actually know more about what I'd be marketing.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-15-2016, 08:37 AM
might give it a chance if it's got decent chunks of backround/fluff and modelling articles, but I havent bought a WD since like 1998...

grimmas
06-15-2016, 08:47 AM
I do like having a WD weekly it's rather nice to open it up on a Saturday morning. Battle reports wise I'd like to see them be of interesting battles fought during events such as the ones at Warhammer World rather than the irratating marketing "the new army wins" ones.

Mr Mystery
06-23-2016, 07:14 AM
I've subscribed.

We get it early again (hurrah!), and at £50 for a year, I don't think it's a bad price at all (Fortean Times and Viz cost me more than that!)

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-18-2016, 06:23 PM
It would be cool if Kharn came with new updated Berzerker buddies. Good to hear Deathwatch coming, wonder if they'll get Black Shields as a unit.

Erik Setzer
07-30-2016, 08:55 AM
I'd consider subscribing if I knew I'd actually get it early. If they went back to printing in the US (I really miss the regional versions!), I could pretty much expect that, but I'm not so sure if it's printed elsewhere. I still remember having to wait weeks for the Harlequins codex because of some shipping dispute.

scarlet-pimpernel
08-09-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm certainly going to have a look at it again. Not bothered for several years when it was a sort of cross between Visions (don't get me started on that) and the free promotional fliers they used to hand out as well.

If it manages to reach back to the time of the "fat dwarf" and have actual content such as suggested new scenarios and terrain tutorials etc, then I may well invest. We shall see I guess, but the weeklies were always going to be a bit of a waste.

I heard there is going to be a comic as well - is there a thread here for that? Or any confirmation?

Mr Mystery
08-09-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm 99% sure there is a new comic on the way. Female Inquisitor lead if I recall correctly?

scarlet-pimpernel
08-09-2016, 01:16 PM
I have to say I do like the sort of new direction GW are taking with things. It's sort of harking back to the days of GW that I really enjoyed with the "fat dwarf" - white dwarf with more pages and a lot better content. I'm not bothered if they do the card sections again because I understand that must have been a faff, but little games that you could then download and print from their site like the old Orc Tavern game, the jousting game etc - all added that extra level of immersion for me. And made the magazine much better value than just a fancy monthly catalog.

grimmas
08-11-2016, 05:39 AM
I wonder if they'll rename it,

White Duardin?

Gotta move with the times.

scarlet-pimpernel
08-13-2016, 11:58 AM
To be honest, they wouldn't need to would they? It's a publication so theoretically easier to protect than a concept or trying to protect the term "dwarf" when being used for a "dwarf" which existed before Warhammer Fantasy and even Tolkien.

That said, I'm not that concerned - if the magazine can go back to supplying all kinds of support to a gamer rather than just a glossy monthly catalog then it almost doesn't matter what they call it.

Captain Bubonicus
08-25-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm 99% sure there is a new comic on the way. Female Inquisitor lead if I recall correctly?

They're coming out with an Eisenhorn comic. He looks like Robert Conrad from Wild Wild West on steroids:

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=233393