PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boyz - Daemons

MetalStorm4786
05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
This is what I'm considering bringing to Ard Boyz this weekend.

HQ
275 - Bloodthirster w/ Unholy Might and Blessing of the Blood God
275 - Bloodthirster w/ Unholy Might and Blessing of the Blood God

Elites
190 - 6 Fiends of Slaanesh w/ Unholy Might
105 - 3 Flamers of Tzeentch
200 - 4 Bloodcrushers of Khorne w/ Fury of Khorne, Chaos Icon and Instrument of Chaos
(The upgrades on the crushers are mainly for wound allocation, although the Icon and Fury surve a purpose)

Troops
165 - 10 Bloodletters of Khorne w/ Instrument of Chaos
165 - 10 Bloodletters of Khorne w/ Instrument of Chaos
235 - 15 Daemonettes of Slaanesh w/ Chaos Icon
85 - 5 Horrors w/ Bolt of Tzeentch
90 - 5 Horrors w/ Bolt of Tzeentch and Changeling
150 - 10 Plaguebearers

Heavy Support
160 - Soul Grinder w/ Tongue
160 - Soul Grinder w/ Tongue
245 - Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Nurgle, Iron Hide, Wings, Cloud of Flies, Noxious Touch and Breath of Chaos

I'm limited by the models I have. If I had 18 Fiends, I would bring them, but I dont.

I don't know if this list has the potential to place Saturday, but my local metagame doesn't have alot of mech spam, just one guy who does Immolator spam with Sisters.

MetalStorm4786
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Nothing? Aren't you all tired of reviewing IG lists?

blackarmchair
05-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I've never been a fan of mixed-god Daemon lists...kind of lacks focus...

sergentzimm
05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
no mixed is the way to go. Each god is weak somewhere, it creates balance that makes the lists nasty. I took a similar build with fateweaver last year and took second. Not sure what this will do against this years crop of dex's but rerollable saves always are nice.

eagleboy7259
05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
no mixed is the way to go. Each god is weak somewhere, it creates balance that makes the lists nasty. I took a similar build with fateweaver last year and took second. Not sure what this will do against this years crop of dex's but rerollable saves always are nice.

Nah you don't really build out for the God, you build out based on the HQ choice. Skarbrand = Slaanesh & Khrone; Fateweaver = Khrone & Nurgle; Tallyman = Mono Nurgle; etc.

I think you had posted before that you have what 15 Demonettes, 10 Bloodletters, and another Soul Grinder chilling? Since your list is mostly close combat oriented, what you could do would be to drop the pricey demon prince, run / proxy Skarbrand, another Soul Grinder, take all three of them naked and flesh out the Bloodletters and Demonettes with bodies. Give your Bloodletters Fury! Nothing is worse than watching an awesome CC unit get tied up by a War Walker or Dreadnought with no chance in hell of popping them. Skarbrand will help out with your rending rolls for the Fiends, Demonettes, Fury of Khrone, and whatnot so you'll have an easier time poping tanks, and your games will go faster and hopefully be more fun if you just try to punch the other guy in the face. A solid rend will give you up to +9 to strength (D6 + D3) just in case you were wondering. 2 hours isn't really that much time, so its better to finish games than conclude on turn 4 or 5.

Roughly what I'm talking about is this:

HQ
Skarbrand the Exiled One - 300pts
Bloodthirster w/ Unholy Might & Blessing of the Blood God - 275pts

Elites
6 Fiends w/ Unholy Might - 190pts
4 Bloodcrushers w/ All Options - 200pts

Troops
15 Bloodletters w/ Fury & Horn - 255pts
15 Bloodletters w/ Fury & Horn - 255pts
15 Demonettes w/ Icon - 235pts
15 Demonettes w/ Icon - 235pts

Heavy Support
Soul Grinder - 135pts
Soul Grinder - 135pts
Soul Grinder - 135pts

Total = 2350pts The way I look at it you could do a couple things, keep the original list with the changes fitting in only a sprinkle more bodies, or run this and figure out to either add plaguebearers or horrors or one of each or do 3x 10 Bloodletters and Demonettes with upgrades and Flamers.

And oh God am I with you, I love seeing the demon list pop up on here, it breaks the pattern from the Space Marines and IG talk. :D

sergentzimm
05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice to see the SG's in there. with all the Melta out there, I have seen them disappearing. I love mine to death. How have you fared against the Valk heavy lists? I hate those things with my deamons. Last year in Ard boyz I ran a BT/ Fateweaver list that had the mech guard tabled except that damned valk.

eagleboy7259
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I love Soul Grinders!! The model alone combined with the Lord of Change mini was almost the sole reason alone I picked up demons. If you drop all three in the first wave and then run them at people and lock in combat on turn 2 then they almost always make up their points. Besides its costs out similar to a dreadnought yet is 10x more badass. People like to hate on them because we all run Fateweaver so they pick up no bonus from re-rolls, but we can't all run 4 tzeentch heralds, 18 fiends, 30 plaguebearers or horrors, and 3 winged nurgle demon princes.

blackarmchair
05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I wasn't necessarily speaking strategically. There are obvious advantages to taking multiple gods in a single list I just on a personal level wouldn't be able to play that army it would seem wrong.

I mean all 4 in one list half those guys hate the other half...

But yes, strategywise I agree it has ups.

sergentzimm
05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I hear you blackarmchair, but I have had to face the music of competition these days and mix it up. I will try to stick to flavor when I can. It still feels weird to have nurgle and tzeentch together...

eagleboy7259
05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I wasn't necessarily speaking strategically. There are obvious advantages to taking multiple gods in a single list I just on a personal level wouldn't be able to play that army it would seem wrong.

I mean all 4 in one list half those guys hate the other half...

But yes, strategywise I agree it has ups.'

it is completely screwy the way it works out in the book. Kugath makes slaanesh units beasts when Khrone hates Slaanesh, and Fateweaver makes Bloodcrushers and Nurgle Princes awesome when Tzeetch is the oppsoite of Nurgle and Khrone thinks Tzeentch and all sorcerers are cowards. God forbid that chapters that have minor diviations from a tradition codex chapter should have to use one book (yah I'm looking at you DAngels and BAngels) but in the current state of CSM and Demons all the gods are encouraged to walk down the street holding hands? How does that hold true to fluff?

kellyj
05-12-2010, 12:03 AM
How does that hold true to fluff?
This is Ard Boyz.
2 Demon Princes with Lash on the same field is not fluffy.
7 Land Raiders is not fluffy.
250 Orks on foot is fluffy...but also downright rude (specialy if the git decides to slow-play you for the cheesy-win).
9 Tau Battlesuits and 30 Kroot?
IG armies with 15+ melta and zero flamers?

I know what your saying...but this is the one (and only IMHO) tourny where fluff should be ignored in favor of just bringing the most killy lit you can devise.

nojinx
05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
'

it is completely screwy the way it works out in the book. Kugath makes slaanesh units beasts when Khrone hates Slaanesh, and Fateweaver makes Bloodcrushers and Nurgle Princes awesome when Tzeetch is the oppsoite of Nurgle and Khrone thinks Tzeentch and all sorcerers are cowards. God forbid that chapters that have minor diviations from a tradition codex chapter should have to use one book (yah I'm looking at you DAngels and BAngels) but in the current state of CSM and Demons all the gods are encouraged to walk down the street holding hands? How does that hold true to fluff?

That is a good question. What page is that on? I want to read about these hatreds of each other.

eagleboy7259
05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
That is a good question. What page is that on? I want to read about these hatreds of each other.

I haven't got my demons book on me but the bit I remember most comes from the 4th edition CSM book. I can quote up those sections for you later if you would like. It was first introduced in 2nd edition but I think it was alliances rather than hatereds, Khrone and Nurgle were pals and so were Tzeentch and Slaanesh.

**EDIT** quoting up 4th ed CSM

CSM pg 47 - "The antithesis of Khrone is Slaanesh. The Blood God rails against his rival's decadence and love of luxury. Where a follower of Khrone conquers through the application of crude, brutal force, a champion of Slaanesh delights in each delicate stroke of the blade, only releasing his victims from his attentions when they are wasted and used. Khrone also finds an opposite in Tzeentch, the Lord of Sorcery, whose elaborate scheming and use of magic he scorns as cowardly."

CSM pg 51 - "The only power that can oppose deterioration and decay are those represented by Tzeentch: change and evolution. The two gods are engaged in a galaxy-wide struggle of opposing forces, and whichever wins, the inhabitants of the material realms will be the ones who pay the highest for it."

CSM pg 55 - "Slaanesh is the rival of Khrone, who he sees as crude and unsophisticated. The Prince of Chaos does not have the resources to seriously challenge the Blood God: the very nature of his power is such that it will ultimately expend itself long before Khorne's hordes have satisfied their bloodlust."

CSM pg 59 - "The main rival of the Lord of Sorcery is Nurgle. Where Tzeentch seeks to build and evolve, the Lord of Decay desires only to break down and dissolve. On innumerable occasions Tzeentch's intricate plots have been foiled by Nurgle's malign influence, and the two god's servants clash as often with each other as with their mutual enemies."