PDA

View Full Version : Looks like its time for our annual price increase: June 1st

Lord Azaghul
05-10-2010, 10:23 AM
So yeah, its THAT time of year again. I picked this one up on Warseer, it looks like its going to be a 3-5$ increase for us in the US, its a nice list of about 260 items, including things like basic transports(rhino/razor/dp) , elite tranports (valk, landraider), ALL army books and codex, and that starter set looks to be going up by 7-8$ as well, and of course most all terrian sets as well.

THis kind of thing makes me want to head over to Privateer Press...:mad:

MC Tic Tac
05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Why is it always before my Birthday??? (4th June)

Melissia
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
So what, they're going to increase the price of BAttle Sisters so that they're 50 bucks a squad?

And people wonder why noone wants to start a Sisters army.

05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
So what, they're going to increase the price of BAttle Sisters so that they're 50 bucks a squad?

And people wonder why noone wants to start a Sisters army.

I think price may be one of many reasons, but certainly not the primary reason.

Herald of Nurgle
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Question: What is the equivilent increase in the UK?

Bigred
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Moved to news and rumors, continue please...

It appears to be a roughly 10-15% increase this time.

Melissia
05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I think price may be one of many reasons, but certainly not the primary reason.

I find that the main reason I can't get people to buy in is because it's an overly expensive range of almost entirely metal models. Quite a few people are waiting for cheaper plastic models.

Herald of Nurgle
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
List of increases for UK:
http://www.darksphere.co.uk/index.php

The idea of spending £22.5 for each 10 tac marines is just bull****. I'm sorry, but this is going to make my fairly irregular purchases even more irregular...

Melissia
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Whew, Sisters were untouched.

Darkwynn
05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
well I think this is going to stop me from going forward to purchasing anything much more. The price hike makes no sense. Its just bunch of random model and lines across for them.

I don't see any business sense in this besides we are losing out on margin of these models so we need to increase it to offset it.

why don't they just run their business better instead of taking the easy way out or shortcuts that hurt you in the long run.

isotope99
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Worst deal I've spotted, a 26% rise in the price of ork mega nobz to £12 (about $18). Killa kanz, a much larger and better model, are now way cheaper.

The increase in the Black Reach starter set price is particularly foolish as this is the entry point for the average customer.

gcsmith
05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Remember its not the company itself's fault its the stupid Shareholders, one way to solve, every gamer buys shares and we run it how we want

Rift Knight
05-10-2010, 03:59 PM
If we buy shares of GW do we get access to more indepth finacial info, that is, how and why they make these decisions? If so it's not a bad idea.

Lord Azaghul
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Or just stop buying models from a company that seems to show little in the way of customer appericate or focus.

I may keep playing for a while, but many of my friends are headed to warmachine

...the more gw raises there prices the less I buy...and more appealing other game systems look.

We as the customer don't own GW a thing.

TheBitzBarn
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Those Price aonly appear to be in effect in the UK as no one in US has received this and the NEW UK price is the Current US price.

I see and have heard nothing indicating this is in effect her in the US. The Army Books and Codex went up here a year ago and they held the price in the UK till this June. This looks more like they are making the change in UK to put them online with US Prices as the Beastmen Book is 22 Now in the UK and will go to 25 and it is already 25 here in the US.

Do not assume the sky is failing

RocketRollRebel
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Those Price aonly appear to be in effect in the UK as no one in US has received this and the NEW UK price is the Current US price.

I see and have heard nothing indicating this is in effect her in the US. The Army Books and Codex went up here a year ago and they held the price in the UK till this June. This looks more like they are making the change in UK to put them online with US Prices as the Beastmen Book is 22 Now in the UK and will go to 25 and it is already 25 here in the US.

Do not assume the sky is failing

well thanks for that, I was starting to get irritated. I've kept quiet over previous price increases but if everything went up yet again...Flames of war is a lot of fun:p

TheBitzBarn
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
But Flames of War has no room for your imagination can not customize your Tanks like you can in 40K

Walls
05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
People are sure getting butt-hurt over a whole bunch of nothing. The North American prices are remaining the same so far with the UK prices falling in line. Really, what's the problem here? Name anything not increasing in price. Man alive, no one ever *****es about buying a 60 or 70 dollar video game or 600$ game system AND waiting in line for hours for it.

Melissia
05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes we do. In fact that's one of the main reasons I play computer games instead of console games-- they're 40-50 bucks per game on average, whereas console games are, as you said, 60-70. And let's not get into the frequent Steam sales.

HsojVvad
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Remember its not the company itself's fault its the stupid Shareholders, one way to solve, every gamer buys shares and we run it how we want

Shareholders=Company, so yes it's GW fault.

So what is the excuse now? Last year it was the cost of metal. They made a unexpect big profit this year and still increasing prices. Greed, just plain greed. I don't feel so bad getting my GW stuff from other means now. I can't believe I felt guilty buying off ebay or other stores and getting discounts.

silashand
05-10-2010, 06:43 PM
So what is the excuse now? Last year it was the cost of metal. They made a unexpect big profit this year and still increasing prices. Greed, just plain greed. I don't feel so bad getting my GW stuff from other means now. I can't believe I felt guilty buying off ebay or other stores and getting discounts.

I still support my LGS, but with non-GW purchases. For GW I would prefer to buy used on eBay because GW gets zero money from the transaction. Unless they change their tactics GW will get zero money from me because I am fed up with their ridiculous price increases.

Cheers, Gary

HsojVvad
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
All our LFGS are gone now. I have to travel more than half hour to get to a GW store so I can their stuff. I just found some other gaming stores, so all I have to do now, is check them out when I have time to do so. Hopefully I will like the person and continue doing my buisness from there.

eldargal
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
No, god I am so sick of seeing this moronic argument. You buy a GW product from anywhere, then GW is getting money from it. Unless it was stolen. Every GW product on eBay has been bought from GW by someone, for wholesale price. You may pay less than retail for it, but GW is still getting the money they expect from the sale. Second hand, someone has still paid GW for that money. Once they get their price for the kit they don't care how often it is resold. You are not hurting GW.

I still support my LGS, but with non-GW purchases. For GW I would prefer to buy used on eBay because GW gets zero money from the transaction. Unless they change their tactics GW will get zero money from me because I am fed up with their ridiculous price increases.

Cheers, Gary

I think this price increase is over the top, but I'm not surprised given the economic uncertainty in Europe and Great Britain at the moment. Remember Britain has a hung parliament, and potential political instability for some time to come. The financial markets are suffering because of it, and the future of the Euro and indeed the EU are under serious question. The value of the pound has fallen, so GWs prices have gone up to compensate. Of course, they won't go dropping the prices when things go back to normal, they are a corporation.:rolleyes:

Its worth noting that every price hike is accompanied by a mass exodus of players, if you believe online forums. Yet each year their sales continue to go up.

Commissar Lewis
05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Hm, well a price hike is worrying nonetheless. Although if it only affects the UK then my purchasing plans won't be disrupted.

That said I'm likely gonna buy from The War Store or The Bitz Barn. Don't feel much like trekking out to Rochester Hills to get something.

andyfish
05-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Even with a price increase it is still cheaper and quicker for me to get stuff from the UK than a NZ GW store

HsojVvad
05-11-2010, 05:54 AM
No, god I am so sick of seeing this moronic argument. You buy a GW product from anywhere, then GW is getting money from it. Unless it was stolen. Every GW product on eBay has been bought from GW by someone, for wholesale price. You may pay less than retail for it, but GW is still getting the money they expect from the sale. Second hand, someone has still paid GW for that money. Once they get their price for the kit they don't care how often it is resold. You are not hurting GW.

You are right and wrong. Yes buying it from Ebay, GW still gets their money, but only once. When you buy second hand, you are not giving GW money so hence they are loosing money now because they are not getting a sale for what ever you bought on Ebay. So yes they are not loosing money because it was already bought, they are not getting any new sales.

You are correct that GW gets their money when their product is bought in a discount store, but they are getting nothing when you buy from a friend or Ebay.

That would belike saying buying a pre used game or car. Once the thing is sold, and when it's sold being used, that means a new one is not being sold, so companies like GM, Ford, EA are not getting any money on new sales.

That is why companies like EA games now putting in codes if you want to play their games online. Since so many EA games are being bought previously used, or pre owned or used, what ever you call it, they want to make shure those pre owned games will have to pay if you want to play online and multiplayer. So see, companies do hate it when you buy used and not from them.

Lord Azaghul
05-11-2010, 06:15 AM

Cheers, Gary

I here ya silashand! I don't think people realize how long you've been in the game. To me when long time diehards begin to complaign GW really should be listening

You still running around over at the brewery? Its been pretty quite there lately!

Kahoolin
05-11-2010, 06:17 AM
Its worth noting that every price hike is accompanied by a mass exodus of players, if you believe online forums. Yet each year their sales continue to go up.lol!

I can understand people saying "wow that sucks for me, I want the best deal I can get", but you can't blame GW. Complaining about business corporations maximizing profits is tantamount to complaining about capitalism itself, and just as pointless. There is no such thing as a fair price, only what the market creates.

eldargal
05-11-2010, 06:35 AM
I really don't think you can compare a purely digital product which can be used indefinitely without degredation to GW miniatures. Models can get damaged, lost etc. Ifyou buy second hand miniatures you run the rusk of missing and broken parts, incredibly stubborn paint, poorly placed glue etc etc. A pre-used computer game is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a store bought one in every respect.

Once that kit leaves the GW warehouse, they have their money and don't care what happens to it. How often are those kits resold? Once, maybe twice. Then someone gets new kits. Most people I know who put stuff up on ebay are doing it to fundnew purchases or to make room for new purchases, they will go out and buy more GW products.

You are right and wrong. Yes buying it from Ebay, GW still gets their money, but only once. When you buy second hand, you are not giving GW money so hence they are loosing money now because they are not getting a sale for what ever you bought on Ebay. So yes they are not loosing money because it was already bought, they are not getting any new sales.

You are correct that GW gets their money when their product is bought in a discount store, but they are getting nothing when you buy from a friend or Ebay.

That would belike saying buying a pre used game or car. Once the thing is sold, and when it's sold being used, that means a new one is not being sold, so companies like GM, Ford, EA are not getting any money on new sales.

That is why companies like EA games now putting in codes if you want to play their games online. Since so many EA games are being bought previously used, or pre owned or used, what ever you call it, they want to make shure those pre owned games will have to pay if you want to play online and multiplayer. So see, companies do hate it when you buy used and not from them.

HsojVvad
05-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Then someone gets new kits. Most people I know who put stuff up on ebay are doing it to fundnew purchases or to make room for new purchases, they will go out and buy more GW products.

That I never thought of. So I guess you are correct then that GW is getting their money no matter what.

silashand
05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I here ya silashand! I don't think people realize how long you've been in the game. To me when long time diehards begin to complaign GW really should be listening

You still running around over at the brewery? Its been pretty quite there lately!

I am. It has been quiet of late, but I chalk that up to mostly the imminent arrival of 8th edition WFB. I expect things will pick up when that happens.

As for the pricing thing, yeah, I've been "taking it" for so long I don't recall anymore ;). I just got tired of GW raising their prices every single year regardless.

@Eldargal: I spoke with a GW manager friend of mine a while back and according to him GW loses roughly 10% of its customers each time they do a price rise. Apparently though the new players coming in combined with the increased revenue from the price hike make up for it. Personally, I think they will reach a point of diminishing returns, but as they keep doing it I guess they aren't there yet. Oh well.

Cheers, Gary

eldargal
05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, I've been playing for fifteen years or so and I see most people who quit due to price rises come back a year or two later. Its possible they lose 10% of their fanbase, but yearto year I'm sure they lose many anyway, the important thing (for GW) is that new plyers keep coming in. GW may well reach a pointof diminishing returns, one hopes when they do they are smart enouh to drop prices.

I am. It has been quiet of late, but I chalk that up to mostly the imminent arrival of 8th edition WFB. I expect things will pick up when that happens.

As for the pricing thing, yeah, I've been "taking it" for so long I don't recall anymore ;). I just got tired of GW raising their prices every single year regardless.

@Eldargal: I spoke with a GW manager friend of mine a while back and according to him GW loses roughly 10% of its customers each time they do a price rise. Apparently though the new players coming in combined with the increased revenue from the price hike make up for it. Personally, I think they will reach a point of diminishing returns, but as they keep doing it I guess they aren't there yet. Oh well.

Cheers, Gary

Lord Azaghul
05-13-2010, 06:47 AM
You know its becoming harder and harder to WANT to support this comany or play the game when I feel that the company is doing its best to manipulate the fun and friendships that you have with your peers in order to make themselves more and more money.

HsojVvad
05-13-2010, 09:41 AM
You know its becoming harder and harder to WANT to support this comany or play the game when I feel that the company is doing its best to manipulate the fun and friendships that you have with your peers in order to make themselves more and more money.

Exactly. I use to buy every codex from them, even if I never played them, not any more. The only codex I bought from GW is the Tyranid codex. That was at a discount store. Yeah, yeah, GW got their money from the codex, but instead of the full price, $30 Canadian for the codex, they got alot less from me.