PDA

View Full Version : Spearhead kits up for Advance Order.

eldargal
05-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Check out GW website.:) The kits are :
Leman Russ
Manticore/Deathstrike (pretty looking)
Fire Prism/Nightspinner
Eldar Support Weapons (which, in my opinion, are excellent new models)
'Squadron Command Frame', extras for Imperial, Eldar, Chaos and Tau vehicles.
Knight Commander Pask.

Old_Paladin
05-11-2010, 07:03 AM
I just went on the main site, and had to come here.
All I can say is... YEEEAAAH! *claps hands excitedly*

Madigan
05-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Oh barf! The new Leman Russ and Manticore kits are even uglier than I feared they'd be!

Well at least the new Eldar stuff looks good.

eldargal
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
I can't tell the difference between the new and old Leman Russ myself.
I pre-ordered six fire prisms.:o

Oh barf! The new Leman Russ and Manticore kits are even uglier than I feared they'd be!

Well at least the new Eldar stuff looks good.

Lord Azaghul
05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
hmmm. Not cool with the price increase on the Russ, especially since you KNOW they dropped the accessory sprue (but this was expected)

I think the maniticore missiles are too 'fat' And the DS looks smaller then I thought it would...oh well I wasn't planning on picking them up any way...50$ is too steep.

I don't quite understand why there is a single 'command' sprue with all the races on it, instead of individual sprues, maybe it comes with the book?

LostInTheDark
05-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Is the command sprue the same one that was a splash release when Apoc came out?

Still not sure about the fire prism. The photo from the rear makes the gun look even longer an more ungainly.

Probably need to see it in the flesh. Like the support weapons. Nice that they are all in the one box.

Looks like the new models include the June first price increase. I will definitely be waiting for these to be available on one of the discount websites like maelstrom before ordering.

Melissia
05-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Hrm. I wonder if I can use the squadron support frame's voxcaster and scanner/targeter to make my exorcists look cooler. Or create some kind of command rhino variant...

Sitnam
05-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Hmmm. The Russ seems meh, I love the manticore, hate deathstrike, like support platforms, and *expletive* love the Fire Prism. Honestly, I never woulda thought of taken the FP before seeing that model. just so....pretty.

Melissia
05-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Manticore/Deathstrike's kinda cool though.

Brass Scorpion
05-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Check out the What's New Today about Spearhead (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10500090a)with design notes and sketches from Jes Goodwin.

Melissia
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Meh, I still would like to know what exactly Spearhead has for my Sisters.

MC Tic Tac
05-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I like the Manticore/Deathstrike kit.

But the LR Vanquashier and Exterminator turrets/guns are shockingly bad IMO like really bad FW casts.

The Multi-race upgrade sprue is indeed the one that came with the big splash release Apoc boxes. I still have many untouched.

Duke
05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
I hope that I can just buy the Turret for the Nightspinner/ Fire Prism... I already have 6 Fire Prisms and don't need 12 but I want the new turret.

Duke

Gotthammer
05-11-2010, 09:39 AM
"Straight after that [WD being released] on the 01st of June we will be publishing the accompanying Spearhead formation rules here on www.games-workshop.com."

So it seems (some of?) the rules will be up on the site - good move GW.

david5th
05-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Meh, I still would like to know what exactly Spearhead has for my Sisters.

Probably absolute zero.

Thank what ever demi-god, god, deity or non specific being / thing you may or may not worship for forgeworld. I was nearly sick when i saw the Manticore/Deathstrike kit.:(

fuzzbuket
05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
ahh those kits look LOVLEY even the bulky realistic (HORROR) missiles i only have 1 problem

longer turrets =

plastic support cannons 1 crew = £15
metal cannon 2 crew £12

and the BIGGEST design flaw EVER in a gw kit (and a fugly blast shield bit :( )
the gunner HAS to lean over the BIG CANNON to get near one of the weapon systems targetin copmuters

WTF GW

(i will be buying all the eldar kits )

P.S.

NO NEW MARINE KITS :eek::eek::eek: ##

OMG

Gotthammer
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
plastic support cannons 1 crew = £15
metal cannon 2 crew £12

and the BIGGEST design flaw EVER in a gw kit (and a fugly blast shield bit :( )
the gunner HAS to lean over the BIG CANNON to get near one of the weapon systems targetin copmuters

The Eldar support weapons come with two crew, one standing and one seated - at the control panel. Otherwise I'm not sure to what you refer.

Bigred
05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Very Sweet stuff, its going up on the frontpage at noon cst.

I REALLY like the feel of the manticore missiles/deathstrike. It reminds me of the early Cold War Soviet missiles like this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ZRK_Krug_2005_G1.jpg).

Also, think for a second about the generic double barreled turret mount that the new prism kit is sporting. Just think of how many new tank variants for the Eldar they could produce off that basic chassis....

fuzzbuket
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
2 wee gus on bases that were supplied at random from about (i think) 5 diffrent kinds :P

(the flaw is leaning over the BIG DANGEROUS GUN to get to the targeting array)

Tithquintarian
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
These new kits look great and the Guard are loving the attention.

eldargal
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Is Jes Goodwin married, does anyone know?:rolleyes:

What do people think of the big skull tower things on the big battle picture on the GW site? New terrain or studio one-offs?

I must say, I would like Eldar to have some larger vehicles that aren't based on the falcon body. There is that rumoured superheavy, but still...

Very Sweet stuff, its going up on the frontpage at noon cst.

I REALLY like the feel of the manticore missiles/deathstrike. It reminds me of the early Cold War Soviet missiles like this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ZRK_Krug_2005_G1.jpg).

Also, think for a second about the generic double barreled turret mount that the new prism kit is sporting. Just think of how many new tank variants for the Eldar they could produce off that basic chassis....

Brass Scorpion
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
What do people think of the big skull tower things

Those appear to have been custom built using the huge plastic "stone" skulls from the Temple of Skulls kit. However, if they were to make those into a kit, I'd buy a pile of them. Cool stuff for us Chaos themed modelers especially.

lobster-overlord
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I love the Deathstrike. I just wish the missile was BIGGER! The shear stupidity of it was what drew me to the idea. Personally, I have a conversion/kitbash in process using the old Cobra IMP gijoe toy as the base. Cartoony and BIG.

John M>

Lord Azaghul
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Those appear to have been custom built using the huge plastic "stone" skulls from the Temple of Skulls kit. However, if they were to make those into a kit, I'd buy a pile of them. Cool stuff for us Chaos themed modelers especially.

They actually reminded me of the pylons/towers one of the gaunts ghost books that killed a bunch of ghost as part of a chaos trap.

The battle pic looked like it would be a fun reenactment or something.

Vorlon
05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Great looking models all around! I was hoping to see some plastic stormtroopers but I suppose Ill have to keep waiting =/ I would dearly love to get my hands on 50 or so of the heads used on the manticore/chimera drivers .

Ole
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Love the Manticore as well as most of the Russ variants. But the Vanquisher and Deathstrike I just don't like. The Vanquisher, well to me the cannon seems rather small, nothing at all like the Forgeworld variants, which I find extraordinarily cool. And the Deathstrike - I just don't buy it that this thing is an inter-continental missile. Seems much too small to me.

Eyespy
05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Well I bought some FW manticore kits that I haven't assembled yet, looks like they are going on Ebay so I can get some of these sweet plastics.

eldargal
05-11-2010, 07:55 PM
That seems to be the concensus on other forums, too. But looking at the Temple of Skulls kit, the skulls seem significantly different.

Krimsonscythe
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I can't tell the difference between the new and old Leman Russ myself.
I pre-ordered six fire prisms.:o

6?! You go girl!

I'm all in for DE but I know I got a bit longer to wait..

Eric J;)

Gir
05-11-2010, 09:04 PM
And the Deathstrike - I just don't buy it that this thing is an inter-continental missile. Seems much too small to me.

Based on the codex the death strike has about half the range of a current day ICBM (A longer range isn't needed because the target could just be shelled from orbit). It also has 4 solid fuel booster attached to rocket, which will give it's speed and range. I think it's perfectly sized for it's roll and specs.

Brass Scorpion
05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
the skulls seem significantly different.Hmm, the skulls and most of the parts on the skulls seem fairly recognizable. Of course, new kits these days from GW are often slightly CAD altered or combined parts from other existing kits. Regardless, no one would like to see more skull-based scenery than me, I've been wanting something like it for years and wishing the large skulls from Temple of Skulls were available separately since that kit was released.

eldargal
05-12-2010, 05:13 AM
I'll take your word for it, it all looks different to me, but I'm terrible at spotting things like this. If it is a new terrain kit, neat, but how about some Xeno themed terrrain? I would KILL to see (and buy) some Eldar themed terrain designed by Jes Good'God'win.

Does anyone know if the new rules ofr a Nightspinner will be 'official' in the sense of being able to include them in regular games without opponents permission? Its not much of a problem in my group, but I don't want to have to argue about it with guests.

Hmm, the skulls and most of the parts on the skulls seem fairly recognizable. Of course, new kits these days from GW are often slightly CAD altered or combined parts from other existing kits. Regardless, no one would like to see more skull-based scenery than me, I've been wanting something like it for years and wishing the large skulls from Temple of Skulls were available separately since that kit was released.

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Tanks disinterest me strongly, but its great to see something for Eldar - I hope Eldar players are happy!

silashand
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I like the new manticore, but it appears GW have made the actual deathstrike missile in such a way as to make it difficult to magnetize and swap back and forth so as to use the same kit for both vehicles. If you don't use the small manticore missiles then there are gaping holes in the side of the deathstrike missile that will have to be filled/covered over. Plus, I think it needs to be about twice as long as it is, but that's me.

Not keep on the new Eldar stuff. The FW night spinner is much nicer and I hate that "thing" in the middle of the prism barrel. here's hoping it won't be too hard to chop that off and mount the barrel directly to the weapon mount.

Cheers, Gary

Commissar Lewis
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I have to say, I want one of them Deathstrikes just for the model, IMO it looks awesome. Manticore, well their rules look fairly robust. Eh, the downfalls of lack of funding...

Also, the Deathstrike I feel, it's radius seems too small for an ICBM. Fits in regular 40k without being broken, but in Apoc the radius should be like the Baneblade Cannon's, IMO. Just a minor gripe; sweet model kit though.

Dorsai
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I was kin of disappointed about the blast radius of the the Deathstrike as well. I almost feel like it should something like 6+d3 inches. Though when you think about it, the large blast marker is 5" in diameter. So smallest the Deathstrike will be is 8" in diameter. Largest will be 12". So it do work out alright. It is more the one shot that can be a killer. Of course, once fired, the rig can be used to contest point and tank shock troops.

Once back to work, I will be buying one or two of these models.

Brass Scorpion
05-15-2010, 10:12 PM
My local GW store got their Spearhead Black Box this week and I had the pleasure of building the new Deathspinner and a Vanquisher for the store after volunteering to do so. Great looking kits, even better when you see the real thing up close compared to pics on the GW website.