PDA

View Full Version : help please - 500 point IG!

thealmightypez
05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
just finished painting my first 500 points of guard. i want to bring the army up to 750 so i can play bigger games. any advice on where to go from there? i want to add more armor but i dont know if its a good idea to add more armor when i dont have many infantry. Heres my list.

CCS:
-Lascannon
-Vox
-Camo Cloaks

PCS
-Vox
-3x Grenade Launcher

3x Inf Squad
-Vox
-Flamer
-Mortar

Vet Squad
-3x Melta
-Chimera w 2x Heavy Flamer

So thats 495 points.
I was thinking about adding a second platoon with a commissar lugging a pf with a heavy weapon squad with either autocannons or missile launchers. Or for 250 points i could add a russ and two scout sentinals with lascannons. any advice?

Fellend
05-11-2010, 10:26 AM
The russ without doubt. Imperial guard is all about firepower, firepower and more firepower. Though flashlights are all fine and fluffy, It's the tanks that gets us marine players shaking. I one round a Russ can kill more than a IG squad does in the entire game =).

Armor Up, Commander and happy Xeno hunting.

Melissia
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
A pair of Basilisks would also work.

I'd reccomend not putting anything more than autocannons or heavy flamers on scout sentinels. They're too flimsy for the cost. If you're gonna do that, buck up the points for armored sentinels.

thealmightypez
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
im a little wary of basilisks, theres a pretty big blind-spot built into them. Im definately adding the russ and im thinking about taking out the lascannon from the ccs and replacing it with 3 plasmas, a medic and another chimera to make it more of a mid-board assault unit.

Melissia
05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
No there isn't. You can direct fire bassies, removing their minimum range.

Lord Azaghul
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
No there isn't. You can direct fire bassies, removing their minimum range.

2nd'ed Bassies are awesome. And for 250 points 2 of them would add very much to your list.

thealmightypez
05-13-2010, 07:59 PM
ok so im revising the list at 850 pts. thanks for the advice about the bassies. heres my new list.

CCS
-3x Melta
-Vox
-Chimera w/2x Heavy Flamer

PCS
-3x Grenade Launcher
-Vox
-Chimera w/2x Heavy Flamer

3x Infantry Squad
-Vox
-Mortar
-Flamer

SWS
-3x Flamer

HWS
-3x Missile Launcher

Vet Squad
-3x Melta
-Shotguns
-Chimera w/2x Heavy Flamers
-Grenadiers

Medusa
-Bastion Breacher Shells

If i ever take this list up to 1000 pts i think im adding some stormtroopers. Do inquisitorial sts get the ap 3 hellgun? or is that just a guard thing?

Lord Azaghul
05-17-2010, 06:55 AM
If i ever take this list up to 1000 pts i think im adding some stormtroopers. Do inquisitorial sts get the ap 3 hellgun? or is that just a guard thing?

No. They are simply AP5. Don't take IG Stormtroopers. They are the worst choice in the book. Too pricey, and too squishy, and needing a 5+ to wound most of the time.

Vets, do the job better, and are cheaper.

TSINI
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Drop the bastion breacher shells on the medusa is my advice, my medusa regularly squishes whole squads of space marines/terminators/command squads with just one regular shot. i would however recommend throwing armoured crew compartment on the medusa. when you only have a small number of tanks (posing a big target), it pays for them not to be opentopped.

Also don't forget that a standard leman russ without any fancy options is only 150 points! and the armour on them is getting close to landraider territory - even my regular TAU opponent has trouble popping russes. not only that but they can move and shoot their main weapon AND the hull weapon - and the battle cannon is the marines nightmare.