PDA

View Full Version : 2k Tyranids (Competive and Themed!)

djanimus
05-11-2010, 11:23 PM
HQ 1) Hive Tyrant [285] – wings, TWL devourers with brain leach worms x2
hive commander
HQ 2) Parasite of Mortrex – [160]
Troop 1) Tervigon – cluster spines, adrenal glands, toxin sacs [180]
Troop 2) 10 Termagaunts with devourers and mycetic spore with TWL deathspitter - [150]
Troop 3) 8 genestealers with toxin sacs - [136]
Troop 4) 8 genestealers with toxin sacs – [136]
FA 1) 6 Raveners – [180]
FA 2) 20 Gargoyles – [120]
FA 3) Harpy – TWL HVC, cluster spines [170]
Heavy 1) Trygon Prime – [240]
Heavy 2) Carnifex – TWL devourer with brain leach worms, HVC, mycetic spore [240]

Model Count 60
Total Points 1997

Ive noticed that the BoLS guys cant seem to get a proper grasp on the new nids. Very stuck on how they used to play. I actually hated my bugs in its 4th ed codex and when I saw the new book I was in love. Its brilliant, granted something left me confused, but everyone seems to be confused about different things. That left me thinking, oh wow this is actually a really good book! People are all having different ideas on what works vs what doesnt. Well this is my interpretation of a solid list that could take on a hard list that goat boy or big red could end up making. Not to say this list is better at all. However in my hands its been effective and I will explain why.

Please bear with me, this is my first time actually trying to explain an army list. I usually just make it and play with it. Im sure it will be fine ^_^

I suppose first I should I go over each unit and how I intend on making them work.

HQ 1) The FlyRant is setup to shoot the crap out of unit at point blank range and then assault to avoid any removing of casualties or placement of disembarked troops nonsense.

HQ 2) The Parasite (oh man this guy is a noob why would he take such a crappy unit?!) - I personally think hes awesome! Hes got some cool tricks that wont piss off your opponent that are fun and flavorful which is really cool. Lets take a look shall we? He has a cool ability to effect outflanking units even inside transports which creates d6 ripper swarm bases, nifty! When he kills someone in combat they could turn into d6 ripper swarm bases! I always have him join a big unit of gargoyles for protection.

Troop 1) The Tervigon - very cool unit, but not as awesome as people think. At least not enough to base an army around 5 of them at least. (I prefer as much variety as I can field) I have the Flyrant grant him outflank which is always nice to have a MC coming onto your sidelines spawning troops and is tooled relatively well for CC. I will use him very aggressively!

Troop 2) 10 Termagaunts in a mycetic spore. I absolutely love the shock value of this unit! 30 str 4 shots is nothing to sneeze at. Think orks with better accuracy, thats scary! I use them as shock troops, deploy close to an objective and guns ablazing. They will die. Thats ok ^_^ The pod is also equipped to help the army out as well. It can take side/rear shots on armor or help the termagants kill as much as possible.

Troops 3&4) Genestealers with toxin sacs are brutal!!! Why? Well poison lets me hit on a 4+ always, against meq I can reroll all misses cuz my strength is the same, so toughness 4 or less and Im rerolling misses, awesome! These guys have lots of options (you'll notice thats a recurring theme in army design) in how you can deploy them. All viable based on opponent and mission.

FA 1) Raveners - another odd choice to many but I think they are an excellent choice. That skimmer a problem? Send 6 raveners after em. They reroll all hits to miss thanks to the double scything talons. They are insanely fast being beasts and can race to distant threats. Definitely an oh **** unit. These guys tend to run in concert with the Trygon Prime putting tremendous pressure on the opponents flank. They can also deepstrike if needed behind cover out of los as much as possible and then proceed to rampage through the back lines.

FA 2) Nice big unit of gargoyles. I dont use em only a bullet shield for Mr Parasite. They help him out in combat too! They are mean with 4th ed style rending (kind of) Plus they have nice guns as well. They also provide a screen for the Flyrant so he can use them as a cover save if the board or layout finds terrain not in your favor.

FA 3) Harpy?! - Another frowned upon choice. I think its awesome to be honest. Why? Its an MC which is helpful if it finds itself in combat. It can assist in the lockdown of armor (Ill get into that bit later) and being able to do a bombing run is really cool and fun! Also its screach ability combined with having grenades is too amazing to pass up. Why? Hmmn lets see... Ok case in point, my genestealers end up on the flank I want and theirs a juicy unit of scouts hunkered down in an objective. Well If I assault Im screwed since I dont have assault grenades, but if my harpy happens to be close enough he can charge as well and voila problem solved.

Heavy 1) Trygon Prime - gorgeous model! He provides synapse for the raveners and is another source of psyker bane. I tend to start him on the board with the raveners using the terrain the best I can to avoid as much firepower as possible. Against an army with strong alpha striking potential, he will deep strike and blast the bejesus out of rear armor or a hvy weapons team, something he can hopefully kill via shooting when he enters play.

Heavy 2) Carnifex (This dude is definitely a noob. Didnt we agree Carnifexes just arent worth it?) I think the point cost is correct, but bio plasma should of came standard. Im sure the cost went up for 2 reasons. Now it can deep strike which makes it an even deadlier threat and now it can be taken as a unit of up to 3!!! One day I want to field 9 carnifexes and just go crazy lol. Anyway mines fielded so that it deepstrikes and with its array of guns can destroy rear armor or take a pot shot at a land raider in concert with the harpies HVC. After that it just runs around wrecking as much havoc as possible.

So Thats my army, before I leave you with this massive wall of text, I want to cover two more things.

Synergy in the tyranid army. If you noticed alot of the units really depend on one another to complete the hive minds will. Combined Scything Talons if you will lol. The only real suicide units I have are the gargoyles and the drop pod termagants. The key to succesful tyranids in my opinion is that every unit at all times needs to create an equal threat at the same time. You have to force really difficult decisions.

Now Im going to defend the HVC. Crazy yes I know, but allow me to elaborate if you would. Zoans are bad ***... on paper. In the current state of our metagame we can assume 2 things. If the army can stop psychic abilities you bet they will take as much of it as they can. Making Zoans a gamble. The hive guard are great, but 24 inches isnt the end all of anti tank either. They also didnt fit the theme of my army so I couldnt use them. The HVC gets a -1 penalty yes this is true, but it makes stun locking a vehicle so much easier! Not destroyed, but might as well be the same thing. Sure defilers dont care, but they are easier to pen. The whole point is too is keep your opponent frustrated that his precious battle tank cant fire or that his killer troops cant move. Im actually debating on giving the hive tyrant one HVC instead of 2 devourers, but Ill need more playtesting before I make a final decision.

Well thats that. My list. As for the theme I hope you can envision this as the first wave of the Hive Mind. Lots of flying creatures, a nice presence of genestealers, some mycetic spores raining down.

Oh wow, ok sorry, but I had to mention one more thing. The biggest reason I feel this list gives me so much success is because I have so many options! I got to play a leave blower list the other day and I pretty much had a field day with him. He was not pleased! How did this happen? I held everything in reserve denying him the alpha strike and almost my entire came in turn 2 thanks to Hive Commander, he didnt stand a chance at that point. Granted I could of came in piece meal and got destroyed, but hive commander lessens the odds and he didnt expect me to hold everything in reserve and deepstrike almost the entire army in his face guns ablazing. Lots of options and knowing that each option is very valid can lead to more sucess. So really guys my point is this: **** what the math hammer guys are saying, its all about creating something that works for you. People laughed at the foot eldar guy, but thats a valid list because he makes it work. Id use this list against any of the BoLS guys any day. Not saying id win, but Id play with extreme confidence knowing that my list works for me.