PDA

View Full Version : ard boyz almost ready?

Skarekrow07
05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
however i would love some suggestions or comments quick before the big day

first of all ive played this list multiple times and have done significantly well but not hard boyz omg well

any tips to the trade?

Hive Tyrant: Hive Commander, Heavy Venom Cannon, Bonesword/ Lashwhip, wings

swarmlord

Zoanthrope x 2; Mycetic spore 160
zoanthrope x 2; Mycetic spore 160
Doom of mal'antai; Mycetic spore 130

Termagant; devourers x 20; mycetic spore 240
Termagant; Devourers x 20; mycetic spore 240
tervigon
Genestealers; adrenal glands x 10 170

trygon 200
trygon 200

which gives me 280 more points...i cant decide between a squad of 4 warrior shrikes with pairs of swords and adrenal glands or another trygon and throwing more biomorphs around.

the idea is to keep everything in reserve and strike hard second turn. Its worked pretty well so far. A squad of zoes next to 2 of there high point tanks backed by a squad of gaunts to clean out the innerds. trygons usually burrow up but i might have them run around the winged tyrant especially sense they arent primes.

Unholy_Martyr
05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Big problems I notice coming from a Marine perspective:

1) Walking Swarmlord with no guard at all = Dead Swarmlord. I have 5 Long Fangs with Missile Launchers just for opportunities like that. A single round of shooting destroys your 280 point model.

2) Winged Tyrant with no guards...same story. In either case, you need some form of ablative wounds or cover, I'd look into Hive Guard as they are equally capable of taking a few hits and popping most Imperial Armor with a fair amount of ease. Zoanthropes are cool; however, Doom and one more group is good enough.

3) You have a Drop Pod army that is extremely underwhelming...keep the Gants on the ground, take another Tervigon and shove the bugs down their throat.

4) Genestealers...well they're hit or miss...they really don't worry me.

5) Trygons...cool, get shot up quick no matter if they're slogging it or Deep Strikin...might replace one for a Tyrannofex. 2+ save Monstrous Creature that can pop Land Raiders and eat Infantry alive? Yes Please.

Tynskel
05-12-2010, 04:23 PM
If you have 280 points to spare, grab another brood of gants. (I am thinking ~20 wounds of gargoyles- they'll screen your big bugs, and give some power to your flyrant)
With some points left over, get some guard for the Swarmlord-- gaining cover saves because the Tyrant is a part of the unit is a good thing.

Something to think about: buying Old Adversary for the Flyrant. Granting re-roll to hit to a unit of Gargoyles is nice (especially with the poison spit!)

I like this list.

Sinistermind
05-12-2010, 11:41 PM
any psyker defense and you could have trouble using zoanthropes trust me, that extra roll just always seems to put a damper on your results....
i like how the 20 devilgaunts in spores work 60 shots just makes a bad day for anything....
either find points for guards for the swarmlord or drop him for a Tyranid prime and maybe gargs or just 2 primes....
i find it can be a nasty combo putting a prime with the thropes..
i also find toxin sacs to be better for stealers
GOODLUCK

EDIT:
P.s. if you look at the scenarios, you really need to capitalize on our luck in having mission 3 completley biased against mech armies, but it only matter if you can kill enough of them!!!

Fizyx
05-13-2010, 08:15 AM
however i would love some suggestions or comments quick before the big day

first of all ive played this list multiple times and have done significantly well but not hard boyz omg well

any tips to the trade?

Hive Tyrant: Hive Commander, Heavy Venom Cannon, Bonesword/ Lashwhip, wings

meh, I don't like the Heavy Venom Cannon, but considering the deployments of the first two missions, you might need the range. Also, you will need something to provide cover is this dide is one big target.

swarmlord

Great choice, but you DEFINITELY need guards for this puppy. Again, in the first two missions outflanking will be beyond key.

Zoanthrope x 2; Mycetic spore 160
zoanthrope x 2; Mycetic spore 160
Doom of mal'antai; Mycetic spore 130

I.... I like this. I didn't think I would, but it actually makes a whole hell of a lot of sense.

Termagant; devourers x 20; mycetic spore 240
Termagant; Devourers x 20; mycetic spore 240
tervigon
Genestealers; adrenal glands x 10 170

Genestealers need Scything Talons and Toxin Sacs. Adrenal Gland are not needed. Genestealers are already I6, and trust me, the re-rolling 1's + rerolling wounds is incredible when combined with rending. I would suggest another squad of these. Bump them up to squads of 12 if you can.

trygon 200
trygon 200

Not digging this. This is just two extra kill points and 400 easy VP's for your enemy.

which gives me 280 more points...i cant decide between a squad of 4 warrior shrikes with pairs of swords and adrenal glands or another trygon and throwing more biomorphs around.

the idea is to keep everything in reserve and strike hard second turn. Its worked pretty well so far. A squad of zoes next to 2 of there high point tanks backed by a squad of gaunts to clean out the innerds. trygons usually burrow up but i might have them run around the winged tyrant especially sense they arent primes.

Comments in red in the quote.

Overall it has the beginnings og a good list. There are just a few things you are missing. You don't have a very reliable way of popping enemy transports (though the two squads of Zoe's will do well against AV14) and you don't have a late-game back-up to the Zoanthropes. Trust me, those things will die the first enemy shooting phase after they appear. They will get one, maybe two landraiders down, but that is it. You really need some sort of Carnifex.

I would replace the Trygons with two carnifexes, each with two sets of scything talons (to get the vehicles that move at cruising speed) and Bio-Plasma. Keep them in reserve also, not only to protect them, but they will actually get to the enemy faster this way! The first two missions will be difficult for many players to fit 2500 points worth of models in their highly restricted deployment zones. Reserves enter from your table edge, not where your deployment zone is. Think about it :D

This will give you now 320 points. I would invest in another unit of Genestealers, and giving both units scything talons and toxin sacs. Imagine 36 attacks that hit on a 3, re-roll 1's, wound on a 4 and re-roll all misses. The re-rolling is key. Yeah, you only wound on a 4 instead of a 3, like if you had adrenal glands, but now all those 3s that would have been normal wounds now have a chance to turn into a rending attack! Pop that land-raider with the zoe, and getting 5 rending rolls on some termies in the subsequent assault won't be too difficult. A 10-man tactical squad will practically melt. With the Swarmlord you have a good chance of rolling the side of the table you want, making an assault the turn they arrive very easy to accomplish.

Spend what is left on some danged guards for your Swarmlord. 120 points for four ablative wounds is nothing to slouch at.

Good luck!