PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures & Their Bases

vman
08-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Hi Guys.
Im currently in the middle of putting together a 10 man wraithguard squad and it occured to me that Eldar dont have any models with 40mm bases, only the 25mm and 60mm.

Im feeling a little ripped off about this because I feel the wraithguard are far too big for your standard 25mm base... They are very tall models and deserve to have lots of attention to base work done to them but with not much room to work with. In my opinion they should be in the same league (base size) as Space Marine Terminators

Does anyone here have any miniatures that they put on bigger bases than standard?
If you were to play an Eldar opponent with Wraithguard based on a 40mm base would you have any issues with this?

I guess it fits into a similar category as super heavy walkers but considering these are codex items we are talking about, perhaps ones mindset on the situation is different :confused:

Aldramelech
08-09-2009, 02:09 AM
I dont see a problem with this as you gain no real advantage.

vman
08-09-2009, 02:37 AM
my main concern with this situation would be the fact that i have a 10 man squad that costs about the same amount as 4 tanks, just to purchase... and the options for their basing in regards to modeling, is very low

The wide stance of the feet combined with a loin cloth that hits the floor, leaves little to no room for much imagination.

I figure such a flagship type unit should at least be given something a little nicer...

Im currently building 3 wraithlords and a FW Avatar and they have these wonderful bases on them that when painted will be stunning... And then i look over at my wraithguard squad (which cost almost the same price at the avatar and wraithlords) and they are standing over some sand and small pebbles... woop diddy do

LOL

Aldramelech
08-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Anything that improves the look of the model cant be a bad thing

kanisX
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
vman:

I always put models like HQ and units which I think should have 40mm like Wraithguard.http://www.kanis-electronika.com/tank/mypicts/wraithguard_primed005.jpghttp://www.kanis-electronika.com/tank/mypicts/wips/autarch_primed03.jpg

Chris Copeland
08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
What is the tournament rule these days? In 4th Edition the rule was the original base or bigger was always legal. I'm not sure about the rule now.

Skeletay
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
What is the tournament rule these days? In 4th Edition the rule was the original base or bigger was always legal. I'm not sure about the rule now.

It's the same in 5th. I usually put HQ or especially cool models on 40mm bases. Looks more impressive.

Mork
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I recall reading somewhere that the tourney rule was something like "The miniature has to be based on the Base supplied with it." which to me is a great shame as from a modellers point of view very often the base makes the minature.

Gavvin
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
5th Ed states that the model should be on the base it is supplied with. Anything else requires permission from your opponant.

I am having the same problem with the Killa Kans that I am scratch-building right now. I understand that the GW ones come with a 40mm base and the feet hang off both edges. They really should have the 60mm base. Still haven't decided which way to go with that one.

Skeletay
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm looking at the bases section of 5th ed right now. It says, "some players like to mount their models on impressive scenic bases. As mounting your models on different-sized bases might affect the way they interact with the rules, make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this." It might be different at tournaments, I've never been to one.

08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
generally tournaments are "bases as supplied" but since your bases aren't cheesed out you probably wouldn't have an issue, but you never know.