PDA

View Full Version : SoB PDF Codex

synack
05-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Bet I got Mellissa all excited, but alas, rumours are GW is going to release the 3rd ed codex in PDF for the time being.

Off warseer:

Hi all!

Yesterday at my local GW shop, the manager told me that the next month the 3rd ed. Witch Hunters Codex will be available for free from the GW website (PDF).

He told me this because he knows that I had started to play SoB when the codex was discontinued and I couldn't bought one.

I cannot confirm that information, I only have the manager "rumour" and an email response from GW Spain when time ago I asked they about how could I get the Witch Hunter Codex:

Quote (05-08-2009) GW Spain email response:
The Codex is not available, has been discontinued from our usual range of products. You can still play and is legal, but unfortunately we have no units in stock. Anyway, hope to hang soon on our website.
Most probably, this rumour it does not matter to the people, it's nice for me because I need the codex, but I think that if this is true, could happen the same that happened with the Blood Angels codex in the 4th ed. when GW only put the codex at website and on the WD.

Perhaps the rumoured new 5th SoB Codex will be delayed for 2 or 3 years if they put the 3rd ed. Witch Hunters Codex at GW website for free.

eldargal
05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
I think this is a misunderstanding, it is possible that the current WH codex is going up on the website, as it is in some of the European countries. But I'm very sceptical that we would get only a months warning before a whole new codex is released. Not saying it isn't possible, not the first time GW has screwed up Sisters of Battle afterall.

Melissia
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, managers have had a long history of being wrong. I'll wait and see.

DarkLink
05-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, managers don't really know any more than we do. I could go through rumor sites and post links to a dozen different articles/posts about "I talked to a gw employee, who said this..." and every single one will probably say something completely different.

eldargal
05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Right. My Blood angels collecting brother asked a GW manager about the rumoured new codex (this was a month before official confirmation) and he said there wouldn't be a new BA codex in the foreseeable future. As a breed they know nothing, if a few managers do know something it is probably because they are friends with someone higher up/in the creative department rather than their own position.

Yeah, managers don't really know any more than we do. I could go through rumor sites and post links to a dozen different articles/posts about "I talked to a gw employee, who said this..." and every single one will probably say something completely different.

DarkLink
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Though I suppose having a temporary PDF release for the months leading up to a new Sisters codex wouldn't be unthinkable... I just don't think that this will have much of an affect on when the Sisters codex might come out.

TSINI
05-14-2010, 11:33 AM
In theory, ALL older edition codexes should be released as PDFs with updated corrections that at least bring them into line with the current edition (consistant points/stats for newer assault cannons/stormshields etc, USR's, Units like inquisitorial stormtroopers etc)

this at least would tide everybody over until the new codexes are released

Melissia
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Not unless the PDF files are the same size as the Space Marine codex or larger, with just as large of unit variety, just as large a fluff section, and so on.

Which is, given the history of PDF codices, about as likely as GW not updating the Space Marine codex for an edition.

Necrosis
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
The French have had a PDF codex of the Witch Hunters for a few years now. It was only a matter of time before North America got one. This in no way means our codex is going to get delayed for 2 or 3 years.

Melissia
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Pfft, there's been an english pdf of C:WH for years, it just wasn't posted on GW's site.

It's more likely to be posted on somewhere like thepiratebay.

But then by that definition all codices already have PDFs...

thecactusman17
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Uh, I think you are misunderstanding the point. He's suggesting that they errata the stats and points when they release pdf updates and temps. Not release a new dex.

Melissia
05-14-2010, 03:51 PM
The original post said C:WH was to be available on the site as a PDF.

Which, as I said, is the same thing as downloading it elsewhere except that if you get it off the site people won't ***** about it being illegal.

I don't just buy the codices for the army rules... but also for the background within the books.

Necrosis
05-14-2010, 04:18 PM
The thing is GW French website already has a PDF. So for North America to get one means nothing at all.

HsojVvad
05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
This is nothing new at all. I believe the German site, had the DH codex for years now.

I wouldn't read to much into this. If this was the way, we would have had IG, Ork SW, SM codicii online from GW as well. Never happened so I wouldn't read into this too much.

Unless you can read spanish and don't have the WH codex, it means nothing.

A HUGE BLUNT
05-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Its a rumor that cites a retail manager as its source, what more proof do you need to disregard it?

DarkLink
05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Meh, I could actually see this happening. It would make sense. This way, they can withdraw the codex from stores, but still have it available, and use this as a stopgap measure for the next 9 months or so until the Sisters are supposedly going to start getting close.

Melissia
05-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Hardly stopgap. Unless they release new rules, it's no change to anyone except those who wanted to buy the codex (They don't have to). I doubt they'll release new rules.

DarkLink
05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Uh, I think that releasing a PDF of the current codex between the time where they've dropped the current codex from stores and when they release a new codex would be the definition of a stopgap measure. It's a temporary solution to a situation (having no codices for sale for a while).

It's something (pdf), which replaces something else (paper sales) temporarily.

Necrosis
05-16-2010, 12:25 AM
We shouldn't pay much attention to this. If this is a stop gap as everyone claims to be, then the sister codex should be less then a year away cause several Europeans websites have had a sister PDF for a few years now. Thus using that logic sisters would be getting a codex soon.

daboarder
05-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Could be cool if the Manager was only half right and the SOB's were going to get a stand alone PDF update in teh same manner as Blood Angels, this would also co inside with the rumors that the Inquisition units we're going to be rolled into one GK codex.

BuFFo
05-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Rumors are rumors for a reason, lol.

Only when rumors are 'leaked' by GW employees in disguise on certain major 40k forums is when such rumors are taken seriously.

It would be cool if SoBs got something new.

Melissia
05-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Uh, I think that releasing a PDF of the current codex between the time where they've dropped the current codex from stores and when they release a new codex would be the definition of a stopgap measure. It's a temporary solution to a situation (having no codices for sale for a while).

It's something (pdf), which replaces something else (paper sales) temporarily.

... but it's something that's already available anyway.

HsojVvad
05-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Would it really make a difference anyway if the codex is PDF. I mean come on, who already dosn't have the WH codex in PDF right now?

DarkLink
05-16-2010, 10:57 AM
We shouldn't pay much attention to this. If this is a stop gap as everyone claims to be, then the sister codex should be less then a year away cause several Europeans websites have had a sister PDF for a few years now. Thus using that logic sisters would be getting a codex soon.

I don't think anyone is claiming it will happen. As buffo said, these are called rumors for a reason. I'm just saying that it makes sense, especially considering they've release pdfs on their sites in other languages already.

The presumption that a Sisters codex is coming up is from a completely different source, and has absolutely nothing to do with this rumor whatsoever.

... but it's something that's already available anyway.

The PDF? Not on the english and US sites, I don't think.

Melissia
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Having it be available on GW's site would be nice, but thta doesn't mean it isn't already available to anyone who wants to look.

DarkLink
05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but that has no affect on GW's policy. There's a pdf for every codex available, somewhere.

A pdf Sisters codex would be GW's stopgap measure to continue to provide an official codex, even while they've stopped selling physical copies and haven't yet released a new codex.

rbryce
05-17-2010, 04:29 AM
in all honesty i dont know why theyre bothering. most of the models are unavailable, the army is no longer supported in the dwarf, online, or any other official way, heck, the last time sisters were in a bat rep was what, 4 years ago now(that being just an inquisitor at that!)? since then theyve been mentioned in brief twice during the tank and transport tacticas. the only reason i can think for it is to stop madcowcrazy from calling them once a month asking why the dex is unavailable in his hunt for rumours.

MVBrandt
05-17-2010, 05:19 AM
For whatever it's worth, I've been hearing from most of my own rumor monkeys that it's getting pdf'ed for some time.

synack
05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Not going through the whole thread, but it is the current codex that is going to PDF, not the new one.

Probably cause they stopped printing it, but it'll be a while till a new one is released. The only thing this points to, is that it's probably going to be sometime till we see SOB 5th ed codex.

Fizzics
05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Bottom line is that no one really knows what is going on. We all agree that it is time for the girls to have an updated book, but the jury is still out on when that will happen.

They want to give us a copy of the current codex on PDF, awesome. Perhaps that will give other people who have never looked through the WH book an introduction, and will entice them to buy the new girls whenever they are released. Me, it will just give me a, perhaps, better copy of a digital book. Still awesome.

Let's just wait and see what happens, we are going to have to do that anyway. Arguing about who is right and who can't be trusted to give good rumor info doesn't exactly do anything to speed the process along.

Melissia
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
But it does waste time.

DarkLink
05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Not going through the whole thread, but it is the current codex that is going to PDF, not the new one.

Probably cause they stopped printing it, but it'll be a while till a new one is released. The only thing this points to, is that it's probably going to be sometime till we see SOB 5th ed codex.

We're specifically talking about the current codex being pdf-ified. I, and most of the others here, find it unlikely that GW will do another Blood Angels style new pdf codex. It didn't make GW any money on books sales, and most players didn't like the BA pdf, so I don't think they'll do that again.

Of course, we're just doing this to kill time, as Melissia says. We really don't know whats actually going to happen.

Fizzics
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
all this time wasting... sounds like you people need jobs

Melissia
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
That also includes you, you're participating in the discussion :P

HsojVvad
05-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Yuppers, lost my job last year still looking. What else is there to do in the mean time eh?b:D

DarkLink
05-17-2010, 06:41 PM

More like down time between college stuff, where we don't have to think very hard about anything.