PDA

View Full Version : Incoming: Daemons.

eldargal
05-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Someone over at Warseer received the following email from GW:

In August, the immortal legions of the Ruinous Powers - the Chaos Daemons - will pour forth once more from the Realm of Chaos to drown the Warhammer world and the galaxy of the 41st Millennium beneath a tide of blood and destruction. Even now, mystics are assailed by nightmarish visions of horror and death, the fractured minds of madmen echo with sibilant whispers, and the doomed clutch symbols of their weak gods closer to them.

A host of incredible new Citadel miniatures for both Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Daemons armies and Warhammer Daemons of Chaos armies will soon be released upon mortal battlefields. All will be revealed in July here on the Games Workshop website and in August's issue of White Dwarf magazine, so keep an eye out for more information.

I've not received it myself, nor have any of my brothers. This makes me somewhat suspicious of it I have to say.

BuFFo
05-16-2010, 02:58 AM
This is false, why?

"Even now, mystics are assailed by nightmarish visions of horror and death, the fractured minds of madmen echo with sibilant whispers, and the doomed clutch symbols of their weak gods closer to them."

Everyone knows Mystics just dominate Demons if they choose to enter the battle in close proximity to them, so why would Mystics be scared of nightmares and death? Mystics are usually next to giant tanks that get free shots off on the Demons when they exit the warp in reality, lol.

LostInTheDark
05-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Just got the email.

Somewhat unexpected. Perhaps more to balance out the issues with the Fantasy Daemons?

GW kept this one quiet. I don't remember seeing any rumours for this one.

UltramarineFan
05-16-2010, 03:15 AM
I've got it too. Man, its not fair, I don't want to start a new army but this may tip it for me.

eldargal
05-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Good to hear, the lack of email coupled with no prior rumours really threw me. Nice to know GW can really keep secrets now.:rolleyes:

Just got the email.

Somewhat unexpected. Perhaps more to balance out the issues with the Fantasy Daemons?

GW kept this one quiet. I don't remember seeing any rumours for this one.

daboarder
05-16-2010, 03:31 AM
could it just be the mithical second wave for deamons? Or is it really the deamon codex, that would be......wierd.

eldargal
05-16-2010, 03:35 AM
The email text seems to indicate miniatures only. Either way I doubt we will be seeing DE or GK in August.:rolleyes:

could it just be the mithical second wave for deamons? Or is it really the deamon codex, that would be......wierd.

sebi81
05-16-2010, 03:38 AM
I bet it's not a new codex. It's just the same with the fantasy orcs last month. No new dex or army book just new miniatures for the deamons.

AirHorse
05-16-2010, 04:21 AM
Perhaps the second half of the gks release? Makes sense to snaz up daemons with a bunch of new kits when the Daemon hunters get a new book :P

synack
05-16-2010, 04:29 AM
I got the mail too. It'll probably be new models, I can't see it being anything else really.

fuzzbuket
05-16-2010, 04:55 AM
id say the 2nd wave and would those be plastic plaguebearesr??

Nabterayl
05-16-2010, 05:04 AM
I got the e-mail too. I concur with the second-wave miniatures speculation ... and it does rather make sense with an imminent Grey Knight release, doesn't it?

eldargal
05-16-2010, 05:14 AM
I just got it myself.

Possibly, really all this does is completely throw out the rumoured timetables of release. We now won't be seeing DE or GK in August, which means an October release for one of them. If things are just pushed back normally then that would be GK going by what little we know. But DE were also thought to be coming in August, and if a delayed GK release gives GW more time to polish up the DE it may be we will see a DE release first? My head hurts...

I got the e-mail too. I concur with the second-wave miniatures speculation ... and it does rather make sense with an imminent Grey Knight release, doesn't it?

AirHorse
05-16-2010, 05:59 AM
well didnt they say that the grey knights release was only half of the deal with that release? Could be simultaneous with the daemon models, they seem to have seriously upscaled the release of new kits over the last wee while(I bet theres a new ig tank kit with this release as well :P) so i wouldnt be that surprised :)

david5th
05-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Just got it. Maybe that plastic Daemon Prince?

scadugenga
05-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I got the email as well this morning. It specifically said new miniatures, not a new codex.

Thankfully.

A HUGE BLUNT
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
When have they ever released a brand new codex while simultaneously doing a second wave release of another army? Sorry folks but your really reaching with all this GK business.

Melissia
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Not enitrely unexpected. To be honest, the DAemons minis jare kinda late. But better late than never.

To above post (because typing the name makes me respect them less, so I refuse): Tyranids. I recall us getting a small new wave of Guard miniatures very close to when the Tyranid codex was release, either shortly before or shortly after.

HsojVvad
05-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Got the email as well, just looks like a mini release, is my best bet. Maybe this is GW way of screwing with the "internet crowd" and throw them off. Why does GW have a huge hate on us internet folks, I will never understand.

Duke Rich
05-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Just got the e-mail, about time! Not that I collect them myself, just that a couple people I know have been complaining about it.

Next up, Fenrisian Wolves! *Crosses fingers*

Legoklods
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know which minis will be released?
A daemon prince in plastic would be nice though the greater daemon of nugle seriously needs a remake!
And all troops in plastic please...:rolleyes:

mstingray
05-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd think heralds, as they have no models for them and maybe some of the characters. I heard a rumour somewhere about plastic flamers and horrors, though not too sure.

i don't think they'll re-do the plaguebearers as they released a command box

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I like Tzeentch Daemons, but worry about how the plastics might look - I would hope horrors at least keep the same look to them, or better make them more like the current Flamers. I would really hate to see Tzeentch daemons go a more conventional and less abstract route as they are the only sort of things like that in the game for me. Otherwise, I think it should be a great wave - with the probable release of the seekers and daemon prince...

DarkLink
05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I might just get some Daemons and chop them up, to give my Grey Knights some bodies to stand over. We'll see.

Melissia
05-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I've been interested in a Daemons army before, but money's tight. Maybe they'll release some Daemonettes that don't look like **** this time (I liked the first version better than the current version).

Artein
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I liked the first version better than the current version
Those?
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2008/12/19/13256_sm-Daemonettes,%20Slannesh,%20White%20Dwarf.jpg
:confused:

Commisar Chris
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
:eek: WOW thoose have to be the worst models I have ever seen...

Melissia
05-16-2010, 03:36 PM
No.

http://i3.photobucket.com/download-albums/y91/thedaemoniclegion/Members/blnettes.jpg

These.

Much better looking than the current lineup. (http://gloryandcoin.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/daemonettes_lg.jpg) The current lineup has the "grotesque" part in, but not the beautiful part. The older models had a strange sense of daemonic beauty to them, whereas the new ones are all... well, they remind me more of DnD hags than daemonic servants of the god of hedonism, pleasure, and the desire for perfection.

Artein
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh, those one. Previous ones.
Current ones are something between previous and previous-previous (not sure if they were the first one).

I have those previous-previous in my 5th edition Dark Elves book back from '96.

Everwynd
05-16-2010, 05:42 PM
if they'd release plastic versions of current minis, would they cancel the metal minis?

eldargal
05-16-2010, 07:23 PM
When Slaanesh gives you crabs, It doesn't mess about it.

I like the previous miniatures more too, thugh I don't dislike the current sculpts. It would be nice if the new sculpts are even better. Not that I play Daemons or have any intention of doing so.

Those?
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2008/12/19/13256_sm-Daemonettes,%20Slannesh,%20White%20Dwarf.jpg
:confused:

Commisar Chris
05-16-2010, 07:47 PM
if they'd release plastic versions of current minis, would they cancel the metal minis?

I'd say so, why would they have two different models of the same thing? And one (the plastic) being the better choice.

HsojVvad
05-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Reading GW 'what's new' they talk about how it's minis only. They also mentioned that people subscribed through email get the news first, and that something new will be upcoming soon.

I guess this could be the new Fantasy Battles coming out. I don't think it will be a new 40K codex but who knows.

Commissar Lewis
05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah I hate the new Daemonettes. Me and a GW employee would oft get into mildly heated debates (always civil, though. More good-natured razzing) about the previous ones vs the new ones. He claimed the enw ones were good; I maintained that they were a design faux-pas.

RogueGarou
05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
The newest plastic Bloodletters are pretty cool to me. Their bases have to be weighted, though. They remind me of my original Rogue Trader-era Bloodletters. I think the oldest Rogue Trader style were not that good but really liked the 40k (2E) ones with the swords. I was not a big fan of the hairy axe-wielding 'Letters. The new plastics are pretty cool, though.

Dameonettes. My poor, poor, now insanely expensive on Ebay Daemonettes. I HATED the old muscle-bound Daemonettes and absolutely LOVE the newer, slender, sexy models from around 40k 3E. The new plastics are OK but nowhere near as cool to me as the previous metals. They are supposed to be seductive and graceful, lithe and deadly but the old RT-era bald steroid Daemonettes and the new plastics with Mortal Kombat inspired hair just don't appeal to me so much. Maybe the new Seekers will be pretty enough to get me to buy some.

I thought the old Horrors were characterful and have been missing them changing from Pink to Blue for a long time. The new minis are pretty cool but I would bet a plastics sprue would be even cooler.

Plaguebearers have not seemed to change too much to me. The newer the model, the larger it seems to be but they all seem equally cool. I would really like to get a plastic kit to spice things up a bit, though.

I don't think any of the Elites or Fast choices will get the plastic treatment, at least not this go around. The remaining Herald choices would be nice to see and maybe a conversion pack for making the named Greater Daemons. Anyway, just some of my random thoughts. I am now eagerly awaiting more information on the Daemons even as I plan to shelve the army when all of the local Marine players start to proxy the new Grey Knights. I have watched a couple of armies go from color X Space Marines to Space Wolves and now to Blood Angels. I've even now seen Chaos Marines who are actually Space Marines and Blood Angels. At least my Chaos Marines have always been Chaos Marines and my Grey Knights have always been Grey Knights. I am just afraid that the Grey Knights will be a bit too much for the Daemons Codex to handle, pretty new minis this summer or not. We'll just have to wait and see.

The_Ancient
05-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Definatly agree that the previous version of the demonettes were far superior to the new ones and the current horror models are probably the best models in the whole range (its best not to think about how they used to look with the big hands and ****)
a plastic herald box would be good but i can't see it happening unless it was some kind of big box with various bodies and heads which might be quite cool to use for converting and stuff

other than that and maybe the demon chariots I can't see what they are going to release (except maybe new furies)

nojinx
05-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I could see chariot kits that are specific to one god, though they probably won't do all three. I would not be surbrised to see four basic herald models for the four gods.

What I expect:
plastic DP kit
plastic horrors (the only troop option not updated since codex release)
seekers
blue scribes

Fateweaver is a maybe, as it would be a seller but I don't see citadel bothering with greater daemons when there are both GW and forgeworld basic kits for each god. I'd bet on chariots over tall, dark and molting.

(Also, fully agree RE: superiority of 2nd daemonette version over 1st and 3rd. Lovely models.)

Warp
05-19-2010, 01:34 AM
I could see chariot kits that are specific to one god, though they probably won't do all three. I would not be surbrised to see four basic herald models for the four gods.

What I expect:
plastic DP kit
plastic horrors (the only troop option not updated since codex release)
seekers
blue scribes

Fateweaver is a maybe, as it would be a seller but I don't see citadel bothering with greater daemons when there are both GW and forgeworld basic kits for each god. I'd bet on chariots over tall, dark and molting.

(Also, fully agree RE: superiority of 2nd daemonette version over 1st and 3rd. Lovely models.)

Plastic DP would be awesome, simply awesome.

If more of the Daemon army became plastic I would sure create a 40K/FB hybrid (magnet bases) and use it together with my WoC and CSM armies. I would really want the DP with wings pictured in the WoC FB army book, it simply looks stunning imo.

Brass Scorpion
05-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Pictures of the new Daemon models are here at this link! (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/240/294986.page) Enjoy.

http://imgur.com/iYYUk.jpg
http://imgur.com/pdvP2.jpg
http://imgur.com/34MDK.jpg

Brass Scorpion
05-22-2010, 09:19 AM
And here are the rest:

http://imgur.com/SihYL.jpg
http://imgur.com/c6kAy.jpg
http://imgur.com/9uxUz.jpg

Lerra
05-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Oh wow, those horrors are terrible.

I'm so glad I converted mine instead of waiting for a plastic model!

Fateweaver looks great, though, as does the Changling (which I'll probably end up using as the Blue Scribes)

After looking at the horror models, maybe it's a good thing we didn't get plastic plaguebearers *shudder*.

HsojVvad
05-22-2010, 09:45 AM
The Deamonettes are horrible as well. I don't know, I always thought Deamonettes were suppose to be evil looking but sexy at the same time. They just look plain ugly. Does nothing for me wanting to start a Deamons army at all.

The Deamon Prince though is awsome looking. If the price is right, maybe I will pick it up, just for modelling collection and painting.

Lerra
05-22-2010, 09:53 AM
On top of Fateweaver's staff, is that . . . a fish?

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh wow, those horrors are terrible.

I'm so glad I converted mine instead of waiting for a plastic model!

Fateweaver looks great, though, as does the Changling (which I'll probably end up using as the Blue Scribes)

After looking at the horror models, maybe it's a good thing we didn't get plastic plaguebearers *shudder*.

I'm so relieved to know there are people who agree with me. I hate those new horrors, so much so I might even NERD-RAGE about it on my LIVE JOURNAL :p

but seriously, they are a huge dissapointment.., they look more like something out of a Ghostbusters cartoon (dont get me wrong I loved that cartoon..but) I was hoping they'd make them even more weird and abstract, sort of like HP Lovecraft meets Carpenters "The Thing", but instead they went with a more conventional and boring approach. Very dissapointing.. I dread to think what they'd do to Flamers and screamers ? perhaps make screamers giant killer birds and make the flamers into birds too ?

I guess we should wait to see the sprues and more models, but if they all look like that the conclusion for me is they arent horrors they are just are horrid.

isotope99
05-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Agreed on the horrors, I might get some of the current version. I can see what they've done to make them multi-part plastics but they don't look good. Plastic plaguebearers would have made much more sense.

Fateweaver is OK but kind of an odd choice as selling a second head and neck as a bitz pack would have made it an easy conversion from the lord of change.

I'm also surprised that they are bringing out a new bloodcrusher (metal or plastic?)

I like the changeling and the daemon prince, good to know it will have 40k parts too.

Melissia
05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow, those Seekers models are ****ing HORRIBLE.

Brass Scorpion
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't know, I always thought Daemonettes were suppose to be evil looking but sexy at the same time.I hear this comment a lot. Always is a strong word. Daemonettes are now on their fourth version with the current plastic range. Apparently, a lot of Warhammer fans have never seen the original version. I'm sorry to say I'm old enough to remember the first version and to have bought some at a GW store. They always had an element that was androgynous and sexual, but that's not the same as being sexy. Here's a picture, judge for yourself if daemonettes were "always...sexy".

http://solegends.com/citcat912/c20254rcdaemonettes-m.htm
http://solegends.com/citcat912/c20254rcdaemonettes-01.jpg

eldargal
05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, this might be a first, I like all the new models and I don't even particularly like daemons.

As to daemonettes, they are not sexy. They are androgynous clawed monsters, it is just that people gazing upon them see what they want to see, their perfect/male/female/squig or whatever. They appear all lovely and sexy up until the point they rip you in half.

mysterex
05-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't think the horrors are that bad, certainly better than the daemonettes. They may be a bit "cartoony" but then less so than squigs or nearly anything orky.

Aesthetically I prefer my my daemons to use claws/teeth or whatever rather than carrying weapons so these are a contender if I decide to get some daemons for by CSM army, although I'm still curious to see what they do with plague-bearers and nurglings.

RocketRollRebel
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Wow yeah, dont like the horrors or the seekers (didnt like the new deamonetts much either...). Much prefer the look of the old metal versions of both units. Everyone else looks pretty sharp tho. I'm hoping that that is just one of the options for the demon prince.

El Lobo UK
05-23-2010, 12:42 AM
On top of Fateweaver's staff, is that . . . a fish?

I choose to believe it's an homage to the times the symbol for Tzeentch was drawn as a fish in the books... at least that sounds less retarded.

As for the new models, I don't mind them, but I've seen better, so it's safe to say I'm glad I got my horrors using the current models years ago.

Loving the new DP though, good to see the kit can work double duty for chaos marines too.

Anggul
05-23-2010, 01:52 AM
It does have to be said that the previous Daemonette models were way, way better looking, I don't understand why they didn't just convert them to plastic.

Melissia
05-23-2010, 02:57 AM
The previous models were better because they had a daemonic, cruel beauty about them. The current models look like ugly old hags, not daemonic servants of the Chaos God of Hedonism and Excess. In fact, I would argue that the current line of Daemonettes fit Nurgle better than they do Slaanesh.

Hendarion
05-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Just because Slaanesh is the God of desire and hedonism, that doesn't mean its always everything about sex. Demonettes don't need to be sexy, that's just what most people hope them to be... desire and hedonism can have so many forms... excessive hobby, drugs, murder, eating, even speed-fans in extremely fast vehicles, gamers, ... all kinds of addicts are addressed by Slaanesh. Not just sex-jerks!
The argument that the demonettes fit Nurgle... I don't see any decay or plagues in these models. They are scary ugly demons. Obviously female and male at the same time. They don't need to be beautiful in body or face. They never had been actually. The sirens of Greek myths are not said to be beautiful (mix of human/bird/fish), but have a whisper/singing that turns you crazy by seducing you to your deepest desires. That's the basics from which demonettes of Slaanesh have been made of. And not Dark-Eldar-Sex-Slaves...

hungryghosts
05-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I agree entirely with Hendarion. And I confess to being a little concerned about the mental health of those who repeatedly insist that their little friends need little t*ts. Maybe they don't have enough access to such body parts in real-life?

As a long time collector of Warhammer minis, I see the previous (3rd) incarnation as the aberration, and the new plastics are a welcome return to the Daemonette characteristics established in the first two versions.

Although it is agreed that only a very hungry Ogre would truly appreciate the gigantic crab-claws on the early 1990s 'nettes.

Archon
05-23-2010, 05:02 AM
I hear this comment a lot. Always is a strong word. Daemonettes are now on their fourth version with the current plastic range. Apparently, a lot of Warhammer fans have never seen the original version. I'm sorry to say I'm old enough to remember the first version and to have bought some at a GW store. They always had an element that was androgynous and sexual, but that's not the same as being sexy. Here's a picture, judge for yourself if daemonettes were "always...sexy".

I agree with this. I own 12 of the (very) old Deamonettes myself an been often ask "are this GW-Minis?" ;)

The currently Plastic-Deamonettes are a step back to the 2nd Ed. or early WFB ones. I agree also, that the metalrange of the last editions are very beautifl suculps - with this in mind - it is realy a little backstep. One the ohter hand i can now build my beloved Deamonettes in a varity of poses and are not limited to the metal-ones (wich i possess as well).

The plasik seeker lack something of the their elgant smootiheness and sexyness vs. thir older metal-conterparts, but hey cheaper and variants - IŽll go with that.

Remember the ugly ones out of the horrible "colored" phase of GW, with the big crab-claws? Praise slaanesh, that the riders donŽt look like that:D

BtW: I think GW goes away from the bare-boobs-look of the nice Metal-Žnettes because of the market in USA the land were visaual violence is nothing to care about but a pair of nippels is reason to call to boykott ;-)

bonedale
05-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Even the Demon Prince looks more like a cartoon than the metal one. The face and hands are the worst. The face even looks a little ghostbuster. Sort of scary in a funny way. The the details are clunky and soft with the fat dull spikes. Is this a gentler chaos?

I have always like the metal DP model and now see I better pick it up before it's gone.

Dionysus
05-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Even the Demon Prince looks more like a cartoon than the metal one. The face and hands are the worst. The face even looks a little ghostbuster. Sort of scary in a funny way. The the details are clunky and soft with the fat dull spikes. Is this a gentler chaos?

I have always like the metal DP model and now see I better pick it up before it's gone.

I totaly agree. I want to like the new prince, but it looks like an action figure.

RocketRollRebel
05-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Alright, after looking the the new Horrors a little more, I gotta say they arent too bad. I just really like the sculpts of the horror crawling out of the horror ect ect.

I'll agree that the old old daemonetts were *** as well but so are the new one IMO. The previous metal incarnations were beautiful minis tho and I really miss those.

Brass Scorpion
05-23-2010, 08:25 AM
When Slaanesh gives you crabs, It doesn't mess about it.This is definitely the single best comment I've heard on these new daemon miniatures yet.

Farmer
05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Demonettes don't need to be sexy

Yes, yes they do!

RogueGarou
05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Well, I can not comment on the mental stability of everyone who does not like the new plastic Daemonettes, only that I am not a big fan of the new plastics. The reasons are purely aesthetic and I shall elaborate. The first, Rogue Trader era, Daemonettes suffered from the typical Rogue Trader era sculpt problems. They were weedy and not very detailed. Greater detail in sculpts is something we are becoming spoiled with as designers and molding processes become more capable. That said, the original Daemonettes were essentially all special, named character models and each had their own characterful details. SinceRogue Trader was basically a RPG with some miniatures rules tossed in, those models fit with the era. I did not particularly like them and never bought them.

For 40k, 2E era, the Daemonettes were turned into a squad and several sculpts were made. They were all bald with the large crab claws and excessively muscled physiques. I did not find the models pleasing to my eye, either and never bought them. Throughout the descriptions of the Daemonettes they were called lithe, agile, darkly and disturbingly beautiful or seductive. I do not recall them being described as Sirens although the soporific effects of their scent was mentioned from time to time. Neither of those series of sculpts struck me in any way as lithe or seductive. The androgynous look was mentioned fairly often and in some of the source material it is mentioned as the Daemonettes having one breast in the common form of a human female mammary gland and one breast in commonly in the form of a human male chest. This was also a common trait of the more powerful Slaaneshi daemons, as well.

Having been created from the mind of the Eldar, I always felt the Slaaneshi daemons should have a more distinctly Eldar look to them. The third iteration of the Daemonette sculpt finally had this aesthetic. The models are clearly not human but are also not quite grotesque. The lines of the models look sleek and agile, lithe and nimble. They do split from the more common idea of having one breast of each gender although I do not equate having one obvious trait like that as being androgynous in the first place. Yes, some of the sculpts do have nipples and some are covered. Some of the older Slaaneshi daemons also had exposed nipples and some did not.

By the way, when it comes to nipple issues, let us further clarify that it is mostly only a select few Americans who are so hung up on something so common. Also, it is usually specifically a female nipple that causes such an uproar. The last time I checked, I also had a couple of the rascally things on my chest and I am not female.

At any rate, this brings us to the current plastic sculpts. I do own some of the plastics and some of the previous metals. The plastics are not as aesthetically appealing to me, mainly because of the heads. I found most of the "hair" to be distracting to the models and the facial sculpts were also not to my liking. The bodies are still lithe, slender, and dangerous looking. I also do not like some of the claw arms. Some seem exaggerated and comically large while others are more crab like and I just liked the more alien, slender claws on the previous generation of models. One last thing is the sculpts generally seem more chunky and less detailed than the metals. GW says this is aside effect of being cast in plastic. I have seen quite detailed plastic sculpts from other manufacturers, though. Since I am not familiar with the different molding techniques and plastic formulae involved in these circumstances, I can not really say one way or the other if that reason is bogus or not.

There is another reason I find the previous metal and current plastic sculpts to be superior to the older sculpts. Or two reasons, I suppose. One, I am a male and I openly admit to appreciating what are typically more traditional feminine appearances. If that offends anyone, I can not really apologize as that is the way in which I am wired. If I am buying something because of its appearance then sleek and sexy is going to catch my eye. If I am buying something based on effectiveness, then I want it to be ugly, mean, and intimidating. The A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) has always held a special place in my heart because it is brutally spartan and deadly. Muscle cars of older generations also appeal to me because they represent a singular design philosophy: putting as much raw power under the hood as possible and making no apologies for looks. I am a big fan of the current retro designs of cars like the Camaro and Mustang.

The second reason is just personal taste. The units are described as lithe and slender then the models should be lithe and slender. To me, the current plastics are better than the old first and second sculpts but inferior to the previous third metal sculpts. By the same token, I find the current Rhino, Land Raider, Dreadnought and bike sculpts to be far superior to the older, original sculpts. I also did not like the original Sentinel egg walkers but really like the 2E and newer models. I just wish they could have an assault cannon instead of my old 2E ones counting as a multi-laser. Oh, well, the price of progress, I guess. I am not as keen on the newer plastic Chaos Space Marine Possessed models but I do like the variety of poses you can achieve and for the most part I do not care for the old mutations sprues that came with the squad boxes. I do miss the old Imperial Guard Penal Legion and Human Bomb models as well as some of the Rogue Trader heavy weapon troopers; the one stopping to pose and look at his watch always makes me grin for some reason. It is kind of cheesy and reminds me of a stand-up skit I saw once exaggerating people trying to pose and look cool.

It really usually comes down to personal taste and not some dark psychological disturbance. Why do some people prefer baldness to having hair? Or certain colors over others? Why are some left handed and others right handed? They just are. Some people prefer the older Daemonettes, some prefer the newer, some plastic, some metal. Besides, why would it be some psychological issue for someone liking the Daemonette models and not a problem to like the beefy male models? Could someone not equally have a mental disorder if they only liked superhumanly chiseled male physiques in their minis? The miniatures are representing a fantasy ideal and are not realistic. In some cases there are exaggerations backed up by fluff, Sisters Repentia desiring pain or death to atone for their perceived failings, hence eschewing the use of protective armor in favor of their faith and a belief in penance much like flagellants. Eldar armor being superior to clunky human construction and being form-fitting. Some things are exaggerated because of the scale and the sculptor made them exaggerated for artistic license. Other things simply because the medium is a fantasy medium. I have not heard anyone ever complain about my two female Commissars but I have had one person object to Daemonettes due to religious grounds but he also does not like the entire Daemons range, will not pronounce the word "demon", and has commented on having problems with the entire fluff of the game on grounds of his faith. He still plays the game (but does not play against my Daemons army) and enjoys it even if it makes him uncomfortable at times. Different strokes for different folks.

By the by, has anyone else noticed that the pics of Fateweaver seems to have wings? LARGE wings yet the description of the model is that he has only stubby, vestigial wings? Even the illustration in the Codex seems to depict large wings. Oh, well, thems the breaks and maybe they will catch that and some other things next time through in editing.

RogueGarou
05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
In looking at the plastic Horrors, does anyone else notice that it looks like they did not fill in the gaps on the minis prior to painting them? In particular, look at the top of the head where it looks like the face will be joined to the head. There is a gap there which is very similar to the gap in the heads of the plastic Bloodletters. Usually the showcase minis are pretty well assembled and painted by the 'Eavy Metal team. I guess these were put together by the not-so-'Eavy Plastic team.

If that is a plastic Bloodcrusher, I will finally add to my lone metal one from the Spearhead release. I would love to add some Beasts of Nurgle and Fiends of Slaanesh, too. Until that ridiculous Beast of Nurgle model is replaced with something else, though, I am not putting myself through assembling another one. It was the toughest model assembly I have ever gone through. Plastic Fiends would just be cool, though.

And where are the plastic Plaguebearers? This release gives us three out of four Troops choices in plastic at last and a couple of more characters but we needs MOARRRRR! :) Especially with those pesky Grey Knights waiting in the wings.

Speaking for my Grey Knights army, though, we just want more new targets and wholeheartedly support the Daemons army getting new models for that reason. Bring it, warpscum!

Madness
05-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Just because Slaanesh is the God of desire and hedonism, that doesn't mean its always everything about sex.
Yeah but a model with a book about solved games or 5 seasons of House M.D. in DVD as weapons doesn't really cut it. Sex is a taboo, a big one (specially in the Imperium methinks), so its obvious that slaanesh goes there.

Lerra
05-23-2010, 10:34 AM
In looking at the plastic Horrors, does anyone else notice that it looks like they did not fill in the gaps on the minis prior to painting them?

There is a former 'eavy Metal painter in my area, and she has lots of stories of speed painting at GW's request. Once they gave her a week to paint a 2000 point horde space marine army. She asked for an extension right away and they said to just paint the front halves of the models so that they could be photographed from the front.

I wouldn't be surprised if the painter for these models was given only a very short time to paint them and didn't have time to clean up the model properly. Or maybe the artist was just lazy.

HsojVvad
05-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Well I havn't been around as long as most of you. I guess for me, not liking the deamonettes, but when I bought the Chaos 3rd edtion codex, and reading it from there, I am shure they said in the fluff, that deamonettes were suppose to be sexy in the begining and then turning quite horibly afterwards. Then they had those nice looking minis. So in my mind set that is what they were, because that is what I started with.

Maybe what they should have done is have a mixture of both or having going from beauty to mid beauty to ugly then to grotesque.

The Madman
05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
my opinions

Changling - nice model, can't complain about it.
Horrors - i prefer the old ones (same with the old Bloodletters and daemonettes) but i wouldn't say they were bad, just not got that WTH feel like the old ones do. also find it silly to deviate from the artwork and make something different.
Fateweaver - he's alright, nothing that jumps out at me
Daemon Prince - day-one purchase, i really like the model.
Seekers - just really a more detailed seeker with a new daemonette on top.
Herald on Jug? - just looks like the direct only but with a bit more detail (from memory)

overall: if i were to collect a daemon army i would be put off abit from the current troop kits looking meh compared to the previous models. though as a Chaos Marine player i love that deamon prince and can't wait to get it in my force. the old daemon prince is good but i do like this one more.

EDIT: also anyone else feel like they should of done the Plaguebearers instead of the blood crusher for this wave?

Lindargo
05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
my opinions

Changling - nice model, can't complain about it.
Horrors - i prefer the old ones (same with the old Bloodletters and daemonettes) but i wouldn't say they were bad, just not got that WTH feel like the old ones do. also find it silly to deviate from the artwork and make something different.
Fateweaver - he's alright, nothing that jumps out at me
Daemon Prince - day-one purchase, i really like the model.
Seekers - just really a more detailed seeker with a new daemonette on top.
Herald on Jug? - just looks like the direct only but with a bit more detail (from memory)

overall: if i were to collect a daemon army i would be put off abit from the current troop kits looking meh compared to the previous models. though as a Chaos Marine player i love that deamon prince and can't wait to get it in my force. the old daemon prince is good but i do like this one more.

EDIT: also anyone else feel like they should of done the Plaguebearers instead of the blood crusher for this wave?

You are completely right! And yes to the plauge's, they need doing. I did prefer the old Horrors but at least the new 1's are plastic, and as far as the Daemon Prince goes: YES PLEASE!!! And why has the Fateweaver got 3 arms on one side, an 1 on the other? He doesn't even look like a horror to be honest! (even a smarter one)

angelblade
05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
take 1x box of demonettes and 1x box of seekers remove silly demonette seekers cut down the harnesses and green stuff scales over it then take the demonettes from the outher box and positionthem ridding standing/crouched like u see in somany cowboy vs indian movies (like the indians ofc) convert some sort of rope to the seekers head when the box comes out ill do a few and show u hard to explain whats in my head and dyslexia isnt helping

hungryghosts
05-24-2010, 12:37 AM
An excellent and thoughtful reply, RogueGarou, not many have such insight into their own sense aesthetics. That said, HungryGhosts is a Chaos Squat Snark Miner, and cannot help himself when it comes questioning the mental stability of the beardless masses. You'd be snarky too, if you were eaten by Tyranids.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Rogue Trader rules as being essentially an RPG with some miniatures rules tossed in, though. Yes, the Rogue Trader book itself was fairly sparse in terms of rules for making armies and featured more detailed characters than later editions. But the basic rules were quickly supplemented with detailed Army Lists in The Book of the Astronomicon and White Dwarf, and shelves soon became full of army-builder boxes of 15-20 metal troopers or 30-36 plastic troopers for the main armies (though Chaos and the Nids did not get much in the way of army-building options other than IG painted black and purple or SMs painted black and red).

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-24-2010, 07:46 AM
There is a former 'eavy Metal painter in my area, and she has lots of stories of speed painting at GW's request. Once they gave her a week to paint a 2000 point horde space marine army. She asked for an extension right away and they said to just paint the front halves of the models so that they could be photographed from the front.

Awesome post. Its interesting to know this as it may explain why supposedly 'eavy metal paint jobs are often bellow par ect...2000pts in a week is pretty ridiculous. Most I can do a week is one squad and it would never meet even tabletop standard. In other words, its nice to have some perspective on this issue.

blueshift
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
wow that demon prince looks horrible ... looks like my 7 year old model is safe and sound

Galadren
05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
It makes total sense that Daemons models would come out close to the same time as Daemon Hunters. Daemon Hunters needs Daemons to hunt, right?

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Sweet baby Jesus in his crib, those pink horrors are terrible.:(

Hendarion
05-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah but a model with a book about solved games or 5 seasons of House M.D. in DVD as weapons doesn't really cut it. Sex is a taboo, a big one (specially in the Imperium methinks), so its obvious that slaanesh goes there.
Well, Slaanesh wasn't born by the Imperial inhabitants... and the Eldar had been hedonistic in any possible way, not just the sex-way :P

Mr.Pickelz
06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
is that herald on the Juggernaut plastic or metal still? a plastic Juggernaut would be cool to see,
hopefully, when more pictures come out, we'll see some new Grey Knight models fighting them too! :D

"I am the Hammer..."