PDA

View Full Version : ROUND @ ard boyz. thinkin o switchin from wolves to this templar list. any advice?

shawnsweet1
05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
any advice against switching to or for switching to this templar list below for round 2.

I used space wolves 45 blood claws on foot and 3 devs squads for first round, got third. this list seems like the templar list it can do what wolves list did and much more.

BuFFo
05-16-2010, 11:50 PM
My advice is to wait for the Missions to come out first before doing anything.

shawnsweet1
05-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Bad advice my friend. I might change a thing or two for the missions but cant build lists for them. Anyway, i believe practice with your army is more important that catering to missions.
here is the updated list. tell me if it rips face...
hq-
emp champ
grey knight hero with terminator armor and psycannon and holocost and force weapon and psychic hood. BOOM!

elite-
5 sword brethen terminators with tank hunters and 2 cyclone missiles
venerable dreadnaught with 2 las and missile + tank hunter

troops-
19 man crusador fist melta
19 man crusador fist melta
10 man crusador in drop pod (DW) fist melta
10 man crusador in drop pod fist melta
7 man 2 plasma inq storm troopers

heavy-
vindicator
vindicator
annilator pred

fast-
3 bikes with 3 flamers
3 bikes with 3 meltas
3 bikes with power swords

Tynskel
05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
switch the Cyclone missile launchers to Assault Cannons. Str 7 Rending Assault cannons will beat 2 Las cans- roughly ~20% chance to pop a land raider vs a 7% chance. And you can shoot em' at infantry and kill more. Plus, slipping the grey knight hero into that squad gives that squad a nice punch.

I like the list.

And you are right, knowing what your army does is better than knowing the missions. Adjustments for missions should be a very minor thing.

Nikephoros
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Seems like you're betting a lot on the bike squads to carry a lot of weight. Your opponents ability to deal with them quickly will likely determine the outcome of the games. I think the power sword unit is a colossal waste of points, since they are more expensive than terminators and pack way less punch.

Additionally, those three tanks seem somewhat random. At the second round level of competition a good opponent should be able to take those off the table quickly and then get to work on your troops.

Thirdly, I don't like Vindicators. They are pretty bad at anti-armor, and their template can kill like 4 or 5 marines a turn if you're lucky. Usually they kill like 3 dudes and then get popped. Pretty lackluster. 3x Predator destructor with lascannon sponsons will get you more mileage.

Fourth, walking Storm Troopers with dual plasma? That's a head scratcher.

To answer your face ripping question, I don't think that list is terribly hard, not compared to some really optimized lists you'll see in round two.

shawnsweet1
05-17-2010, 11:34 PM
switch the Cyclone missile launchers to Assault Cannons. Str 7 Rending Assault cannons will beat 2 Las cans- roughly ~20% chance to pop a land raider vs a 7% chance. And you can shoot em' at infantry and kill more. Plus, slipping the grey knight hero into that squad gives that squad a nice punch.

I like the list.

And you are right, knowing what your army does is better than knowing the missions. Adjustments for missions should be a very minor thing.

well i was thinkin if i could get away with using the cyclone as heavy 2 it would be 2 str9 krak missiles.
i like the grey knight hero with the termies idea though. that would be mean.

um the walking stromies are just cheap scoring troop and rear guard against random biggies. the vindicators can go either way i suppose but i know lemus russ demolisher cannons ripped my guys last games so vindicator is similar. 3 preds is risky if opponent lacks armor.

Tynskel
05-18-2010, 12:28 AM
well i was thinkin if i could get away with using the cyclone as heavy 2 it would be 2 str9 krak missiles.
i like the grey knight hero with the termies idea though. that would be mean.

um the walking stromies are just cheap scoring troop and rear guard against random biggies. the vindicators can go either way i suppose but i know lemus russ demolisher cannons ripped my guys last games so vindicator is similar. 3 preds is risky if opponent lacks armor.

You will not get away with that. They'll just say 'what does your codex say- 1 shot, that's what it is'.

Vindicators rock. I wouldn't change the hv sup. However, I would change your FA. More anti-tank attack bikes.

Nikephoros
05-18-2010, 04:42 AM
the vindicators can go either way i suppose but i know lemus russ demolisher cannons ripped my guys last games so vindicator is similar. 3 preds is risky if opponent lacks armor.

Well if you're playing against only footslogging 4th edition style armies the Vindicators and Demolishers may indeed be OK. But chances are you will see real 5th edition armies at the semis and the Vindis will kill almost nothing before they are removed from the table.

To each his own though, let us know how you do.