PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnaught Obliterator?

Schnitzel
08-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Just a crazy idea, but I think it's fairly practical. Fluff wise it might be a bit whimsical... but here goes.

Whats stopping C: SM from applying the techno virus that cause the Obliterator mutation to a Dreadnaught? Supposedly they don't think highly of their Dreadnaughts so regard to their fallen brother certainly shouldn't be an issue. And the Dreadnaught does have a flesh and blood body that can be infected withing its sarcofogus.... Heck, whats stopping some one from emplanting additional bodies (servitors?) on the dreadnaught to feed the virus further?

Personally, I plan on doing such a conversion. It'll be a long while since all my modeling stuff is a couple thousand miles away at the moment though... Just moved from Europe to the Middle East.... ><;;

Such a model would have to come with a homebrew set of rules. I was thinking that it acting more like a whole squad of 3 Oblits together. Acts as a model with toughness instead of walking machine, 6 wound base and the rest of the same stat line as an Oblit. Can fire three shots of the same weapon type a turn. As it looses wounds it looses the ability to shoot by a certain amount. Say after 3 wonds it can only fire two shots, and when its down to 2 wounds left it can only fire one shot.

C/C?
Thanks.

Old_Paladin
08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I think it's a pretty cool idea.
Although, I'd still use them as dreads; in the elite slots of an army that uses a lot of oblits.
If you do play them as dreads, try to stick to the weapons oblits have; namely the plasma cannon... heavy flamers, multi-meltas, I'm not sure if Chaos dreads can take those though.

You could have sections of the body that are crumpled in, as the organic corpse sucks in the mechanical outer armour.
The 'planting' of other bodies to the external hull is pretty cool too.

Schnitzel
08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
The moment my TMO shipment gets in I'm bust out my bits box and my Iron Dread and going to town on the sucker. Can't wait!
*Sigh*
But that's a month off.... darn military takes sooo long with these things. And Oman unfortunately doesn't have a GW.... lol. I might be the only 40k player in this country.... :eek:

Thankfully I just quit smoking about a week ago. I was pretty bad with that.... with all the money I'm saving I can easily by a replacement dread if I want to use a dread in a list. :D

=Angel=
08-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Such a model would have to come with a homebrew set of rules. I was thinking that it acting more like a whole squad of 3 Oblits together. Acts as a model with toughness instead of walking machine, 6 wound base and the rest of the same stat line as an Oblit. Can fire three shots of the same weapon type a turn. As it looses wounds it looses the ability to shoot by a certain amount. Say after 3 wonds it can only fire two shots, and when its down to 2 wounds left it can only fire one shot.

C/C?
Thanks.

Sounds like an awesome modelling project!

gamewise i would count it as 2 obilts- when 2 wounds are lost (ie: an oblit dies) you remove one weapon arm from the dread.
That way the arms become markers for the obliterators in the squad.
If you wanted it to count as a full squad, model guns onto the sarcophagus too- when two wounds remain it wil be an armless sarcophagus gun- which will look awesome.

I'd be happy to play against this as its a cool idea and you aren't getting any ingame advantages ( 1 dread is much a much larger target than 2/3 oblits)

Just make sure if you are going to field dreadnoughts as well as the oblit-naught that the oblitnoaught is really , really different looking to the normal dreads.