PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Box

whitestar333
05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
So a couple weeks ago I look on my shelf at my wraithguard army and sigh. "The last time I played you guys, you got wrecked by some thunder hammer/storm shield terminators..." Then I had an idea! I packed them up into a GW hard case and walk into my LGS.
"What's in the box?"
"It's a mystery!"
"No, seriously, tell me what's inside."
"You want to know what's inside? Make a 1500 point list and you'll find out!"
Thus began the reputation of The Mystery Box.

Since that day, this army (usually at 1500 points) has pretty much destroyed everyone it has played against. First it was a Chaos undivided list complete with death guard, berserkers, dual lash, etc. I won! Then I tried the mystery box against some Space Wolves - 50 grey hunters and some rune priests with a wolf lord - destroyed every last model, only taking one wound! Then I got bold - I would enter The Mystery Box into the local 1250 tournament held every other week. My most difficult game was against a Space Wolf army complete with Dread and Razorback with assault cannons, vindicator, and long fangs with 5 (!) missile launchers. Holy crap... it was a tough game, but I quickly discovered that even 3 wraithguard were a force to be reckoned with! I ended up winning best overall!

The lesson you should take from this is that sometimes an army just needs a second look, and maybe a change in the metagame could result in some choices being valuable and effective again.

Here's the list:
HQ Eldrad (it's hard to justify not taking him)

Troops - 10 Wraithguard, Spiritseer w/ Enhance + Singing Spear
Troops - 10 Wraithguard, Spiritseer w/ Enhance

Heavy - Wraithlord w/ Wraithsword + Eldar Missile Launcher
Heavy - Wraithlord w/ Starcannon

Tynskel
05-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow an Iyanden list (::cough:: with Uthwe alies)!

I agree, the Mystery Box is the way to play. That's what I do when I go the the GW Store. I have 4 lists typed up- 500, 1000, 1500, 2000. Sometimes, I let them know what force it is (SM, BA, or Bugs), but that's about all they get outta me. Makes the gaming more fun- people actually start designing balanced lists after I started doing this.