Heavy Support
War Walker Squadron
-- War Walker w/2x Bright Lances
War Walker Squadron
-- War Walker w/2x Bright Lances
War Walker Squadron
-- War Walker w/2x Scatter Lasers
-- War Walker w/2x Scatter Lasers

Guardians sit on home objectives, striking scorpions and autarch intercept the biggest assault threat, and the war walkers outflank.

Nabterayl
05-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Query: at 1000 points, how much AV13+ do you see?

Tynskel
05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Query: at 1000 points, how much AV13+ do you see?

Plenty-- my 1000 point BA list has Baal, Destructor, and a Vindicator, and a Furioso. Enough armor 13 to make anyone crap their pants. Except for this list. Probably will tear my space marines apart at range.

For the List:
I recommend Fusion Gun for the Autarch- BS6 guy firing a Meltagun is quite scary.
I like the Banshee Mask- anti-genestealer thinking!

hmmm...
I think Eldar Missile Launchers would be better for the Guardian Squads. The Guardian's primary objective should be killing infantry, and anti-tank as secondary. The missile launcher is superior to the Imperial equivalent. Not only is the blast AP4, but it also causes pinning, but can still be used as anti-tank.

This will save you 20 points. More than enough to give your Autarch a bite. Could end up giving the Scorpion Exarch a Claw too.

:::EDIT:::
More thoughts on your choices-
Check out Support Weapon Batteries of Shadow Weavers. You can get 4 of them for the price of two scatter laser walkers. These could be helpful in smaller games than the walkers for two reasons: more anti-infantry firepower with barrage weapon (causes pinning), and can be hidden from sight.

You could fit in 2 squads of 2. Or a squad of 3 with a warlock attached (probably with conceal).

eagleboy7259
05-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Now I know that everyone says they nerfed eldar psychic powers with all the new books out there and the powers and defenses they have, but IMOP eldar should still have a farseer, their powers are the only way to really get around all the 3's in the stat line. A Doomseer or one with Guide would fit. If you choose to keep that Autarch then I would get a Claw for the Scorpion Exarch as a deterant for any dreadnought or MC that comes along.

I didn't think you could take Warlocks without taking a farseer...? Idk I dont't have my book around.

Tynskel
05-18-2010, 10:32 PM
warlocks are upgrade characters for guardians. Not bad at all-- a decent deterrent against dreads: 2 attacks (3 on charge) and Str 9 in CC with armor. You have to put out a serious amount of wounds to be able to injure the warlock.

Farseers are cool, but really expensive for 1000 point games. They really need to be able to cast 2 powers a turn, which puts their minimum points at: 115 (the Autarch with Banshee Mask, Power Weapon, and Fusion Gun is 93). Then factor in that ya want the ability to cast your powers almost every time (witness), and that 2 of the 20 point powers are mediocre, your farseer easily adds another 15-20 points.

dvs1
05-19-2010, 02:42 AM
not a big fan of brightlance platforms with guardians. bs 3 means you will be missing about half the time, not to mention your guardian squad also has to target something they probably can't wound/reach. scatter lasers fit the unit role nicely, or shuriken cannons if low on points. Same for the war walkers. quantity usually outperforms the quality of shots when considering low bs. Range not as important to them either as they will be outflanking anyway. With the points saved, a wraithlord with eml/brightlance is good to keep your guardians company in the backfield. warlock from guardians prevents wraithsight (it happens more often then you would think), and bs4 warrants the heavy weapon load out. Not to mention it cannot be stunned/shaken, and can be quite a nuisance in hth.

Freefall945
05-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Consider cutting the guardian squads down to 10 strong and fielding a tooled-up squad of dire avengers. Yeah, I know it softens up the little fellas considerably, but having a blade-storm ready squad of dire avengers backing up your guardians will probably extend their lifespan - considering they are a higher priority target, and with 4+ save, will actually roll saves against things.

Additionally, one problem I find with big guardian squads (I used to run Ulthwe, with 90 of the buggers) is that they're difficult to simultaneously spread so they aren't template-magnets while making use of cover.

Also, I'm yet to be sold on the Banshee mask. Typically, I think you'll find you're better off with the Bite. Rarely will an opponent you wouldn't be better off shooting require you to have an initiative so much higher than your base.

murrburger
05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I don't think the Autrach with the sword and mask is going to be doing very much. At least give him the bite, or maybe a fusion gun or something.

Like some other people suggested, maybe take a Farseer with a couple of powers, or hell, even the Avatar if you can spare the points.

I usually prefer the biting blade over the chainsabres, as I feel that the extra strength is better than the re-roll and extra attack.

I think BLs on the Guardians is a bad idea. EMLs or scatter lasers are much more useful and cheaper, to boot.

On the Warlocks, I don't know why Enhance is there. The extra WS and I make little difference. Embolden would be much more useful (and cheaper), especially if you don't have an Avatar.

Again, I'm not sold on the BL Warwalkers, especially in a smaller game. If they're outflanking, you might as well take EMLs most of the time. Bright Lances are just too damn expensive for what they do.

After saying all that, I'm a bit worried on how assaults will go. Striking Scorpions have trouble against basic marines, and guardians just get mowed down.

Lastly, I don't really think that so many un-guided walkers is the way to go. I'd maybe concentrate on getting some more bodies on the field. Remember that once those squads are fleeing below half-strength, you're screwed.

Melissia
05-19-2010, 09:13 AM
No farseer. Everyone and their mother has a farseer, it's boring and overdone...

murrburger
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Overdone? It's kind of the Eldar's thing...

If you don't want a Farseer, then at least give your Autrach some wings and a fusion gun, or whatever.

Melissia
05-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Exactly. It's their thing. I like to subvert that. It's why I do weird things with my Sisters, like five Celestian squad lists, or sentinel spam supported by infantry with my Guard, and so on.

Splug
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
There would be two things that worry me with that list. First, you only have two troop selections, and they're both leadership 8. At 21 models each, it'll take a decent amount of long-rage fire to force them to start rolling it (and it's likely there will still be enough left to attempt to regroup), but that does jump out to me as something that I would not personally like: too much of an objective game can be lost on a single poor roll, and you may be forced to either keep one out of cover or just settle for sitting on 2 objectives the whole game, with no real means of adjusting your strategy if something goes wrong. That said, I haven't tried running my guardian teams at 20 yet; I've always preferred smaller groups with more weapons platforms for exactly the reason I just listed, so I can't claim experience in fielding them as blobs.

Secondly, the lack of quick transport destruction could become an issue. If you outflank the lance walkers, you'll probably get rear/side armor making the lance a bit overkill, but the real problem is that by then, transports will have gotten to where they want to be. I'd recommend leaving the lance walkers on the board more often than not, and just outflank the scatter laser walkers. There's a chance they'll be destroyed before they can really do their full damage, but that's better than a sure-shot that they arrive after a land raider or rhino has scooted 24" forward and unloaded some nasty unit on your guardians.

I also have to agree with everyone who has commented on a fusion gun for the autarch. Bright lances and lascannons are an amazing way to rip the turret off a Russ, or keep a vindicator stunned. But the lack of AP1 is going to make them a less reliable way to actually destroy a vehicle, which for the scorpions will potentially make the difference between assaulting the guys inside a transport, or assaulting the transport and praying to kill them via surrounding the transport and glancing it to death. The fusion gun's not a sure shot either, but with the role that unit is fulfilling it will be in the right range to really improve your odds.

eagleboy7259
05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
No farseer. Everyone and their mother has a farseer, it's boring and overdone...

Oh but its fluffy and delightful, Autarches just showed up in 4th edition as the answer to "why can't we have a generic leader guy too??" and really their fluff kind of goes against the previous eldar fluff with all that master of different shrines. If anything I'm surprised that you would be all about the Autarch.